Hironobu Sakaguchi Joins Microsoft Game Studios

Hironobu Sakaguchi Joins Microsoft Game Studios

By: TeamXbox Staff - "TeamXbox"

Feb. 24th, 2005 12:59 pm

Microsoft Corp. today announced that Hironobu Sakaguchi, video game legend and president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft? Game Studios to develop role-playing game (RPG) video games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox? video game platform. Sakaguchi is best known as the creator of the ?Final Fantasy? franchise, which has sold more than 60 million units worldwide, and was executive vice president in charge of game development at Square Enix Co., Ltd. until February 2001.

Citing a shared vision with Microsoft for the next generation of video games, Sakaguchi will lead the creation of two upcoming Xbox-exclusive RPG titles to be published by Microsoft Game Studios.

?Sakaguchi-san has taken role-playing games ? traditionally a niche market ? and introduced them to a broad and diverse audience across the globe,? said Peter Moore, corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing at Microsoft. ?We are ecstatic to work with Sakaguchi-san and celebrate what this news means not only for Xbox, but for gamers worldwide.?

?I?m excited about the two epic game titles we will be developing,? Sakaguchi said. ?A number of talented creators have signed on to help develop these games, and I?m confident we will be able to create games that provide gamers with a new kind of thrill.

?Microsoft?s cutting-edge technologies in the next-generation platform will allow me to bring to life an array of ideas that I have had for many years,? Sakaguchi said. ?I want these games to be alive with a new vision for gaming and vividly depict new characters that will transcend the game, find a place in the hearts of gamers, and make time spent with my games a fond and long-lasting memory.?

Sakaguchi started his career at Square Co. Ltd. in 1986 as director of planning and development. He was promoted to executive vice president in 1991 and eventually ascended to president of Square LA Inc. (now Square USA Inc.) in 1995. In 2000, Sakaguchi was inducted into the coveted Academy of Interactive Arts & Science (AIAS) Hall of Fame for his groundbreaking work on the ?Final Fantasy? series. In 2004, Sakaguchi announced that he had started his own development studio, called Mistwalker.

Xbox is coming off a blockbuster year as the only video game console to show year-to-year growth in 2004, while competitors declined*. Driven by epic, platform-exclusive content ? including ?Halo? 2? by Microsoft Game Studios, ?Fable? by Microsoft Game Studios., ?Ninja Gaiden? by Tecmo Ltd., and Xbox Live?, the only unified online video game console service ? gamers worldwide continue to flock to Xbox for an unparalleled digital entertainment experience.

Source: TeamXbox

yeap... and Nobuo Uematsu (FF music composer) is also working there...  :woot:

585529175[/snapback]

You mean the same Nobuo Uematsu who left square-enix and formed his own independent company called "Smile Please", is working with his band/concerts, and doesn't work at Microsoft Game Studios? Maybe I missed the news. Edited by jmole

You mean the same Nobuo Uematsu who left square-enix and formed his own independent company called "Smile Please", is working with his band/concerts, and doesn't work at Microsoft Game Studios?  Maybe I missed the news.

585529329[/snapback]

where in the post did I said Mr. Uematsu is working for MSGS? when I said "working there" I meant in THE project. the fact that you want to twist my words thats another story. :p

Yeah, Uemetsu's independent now. I figure he'd want in on something as big as this.

As said before, HOLY ****. This is amazing. I honestly can't wait.

Fingers crossed that it's as good as I'm hoping for.

where in the post did I said Mr. Uematsu is working for MSGS? when I said "working there" I meant in THE project. the fact that you want to twist my words thats another story. :p

585529778[/snapback]

What is THE project you are referring to?

I can definitely see the next Xbox doing very well in Japan with this announcement.

585530627[/snapback]

Those two RPGs for the XBox 2 should do well against the 10 JRPGs that Sony releases like every month in Japan especially since they are being developed by the Mistwalker game company which has produced tons of popular games in the past... Watch out Square-Enix and Sony! :rolleyes:

Those two RPGs for the XBox 2 should do well against the 10 JRPGs that Sony releases like every month in Japan especially since they are being developed by the Mistwalker game company which has produced tons of popular games in the past... Watch out Square-Enix and Sony! :rolleyes:

585533002[/snapback]

You can't argue that this will actually HURT Xbox 2, can you? As much as you'd hate to admit it, this is a very good catch for MS and will tempt a lot more Japanese buyers than what MS has offered in Japan for Xbox 1. True, Mistwalker is a new startup company(that hasn't released a game yet, which is why they don't have "tons of popular games") but it's backed by the three artists that originally developed the FF series(Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and Amano), and this project will be funded by MS. And the dozens of JRPGs that are released monthly are not the epic FF-type RPGs that are released every couple of years. MS is hoping this will be the FF/DQ title for Xbox 2.

A lot of Japanese buyers bought FF after FF7 BECAUSE Sakaguchi was put as "Executive Producer" even though he had little to do with the games. His name still holds a lot of weight in Japan.

Here's a quote for you:

GA: Do you have any involvement in Hironobu Sakaguchi?s studio, Mistwalker?

NU(Nobuo Uematsu): [laughs] I'm involved, deeply. I'm supposed to create music for his studio.

You can't argue that this will actually HURT Xbox 2, can you? As much as you'd hate to admit it, this is a very good catch for MS and will tempt a lot more Japanese buyers than what MS has offered in Japan for Xbox 1. True, Mistwalker is a new startup company(that hasn't released a game yet, which is why they don't have "tons of popular games") but it's backed by the three artists that originally developed the FF series(Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and Amano), and this project will be funded by MS. And the dozens of JRPGs that are released monthly are not the epic FF-type RPGs that are released every couple of years. MS is hoping this will be the FF/DQ title for Xbox 2.

A lot of Japanese buyers bought FF after FF7 BECAUSE Sakaguchi was put as "Executive Producer" even though he had little to do with the games. His name still holds a lot of weight in Japan.

Here's a quote for you:

GA: Do you have any involvement in Hironobu Sakaguchi?s studio, Mistwalker?

NU(Nobuo Uematsu): [laughs] I'm involved, deeply. I'm supposed to create music for his studio.

585533319[/snapback]

It definitely won't hurt the XBox, but I don't think it will even put a dent in the Japanese market that is already flooded with RPGs. What is GR btw, Game Revolution? The last game Uematsu worked on was having a part in making the FFX main theme and his personal blog says he has been working on a 2nd Black Mages CD and touring in North American with his orchestral concert. There is a link on his company's webpage to MistWalker studios, but there is nothing in his personal blog or news stories that says he will be working on the XBox games. Plus Mistwalker is an independent game studio. Just because they are developing two games for MS doesn't mean they are not developing other games for other systems, which Nobuo can be working on.

jmole, I don't think he was saying it would hurt the Ps2 RPG market. I just thought he meant it would help the X Box sell in Japan- something I can definitely see happening.

585533319[/snapback]

Plus Mistwalker is an independent game studio.  Just because they are developing two games for MS doesn't mean they are not developing other games for other systems, which Nobuo can be working on.

585533456[/snapback]

For example, Mistwalker is doing an exclusive SRPG for the Nintendo DS.

jmole, I don't think he was saying it would hurt the Ps2 RPG market. I just thought he meant it would help the X Box sell in Japan- something I can definitely see happening.

585533930[/snapback]

I know that he meant it wouldn't hurt the PS2 RPG market, I was just saying I don't think the XBox 2 will have any impact in Japan even if they release those two RPGs. There are hardly any XBoxes in Japan already so there is no reason to think that the release of XBox 2 will suddenly change that. Both Sony and Nintendo always cater to the Japanese and they get games, including a ton of RPGs, that never make it to US shores unless if they are imported. On the other hand MS doesn't cater to them at all and the Japanese have too much pride to buy from them. Would you buy a console that is releasing 2 RPGs that will be released a few months or years apart rather then buy a console that will release 2 RPGs a month that has been made for them? Maybe the two RPGs might sell tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of XBox 2's, but I do not see anything significant that would be a blip on the radar compared to Sony or Nintendo sales in Japan. I was looking at Japanese console sales for this week: Link, I don't think 2 RPGs and the XBox 2 will make that much of a difference when the PS2 is still selling around 40,000 units a week when compared to the 592 XBox units sold. Even look at their game tastes: Link, they are all Sony and Nintendo products, no American published products. No matter how much MS tries, I don't think they will be able to get into that market unless if they take over some big Japanese game developer, not sign on for two games with some small fledgling company that has not released a game yet. Edited by jmole

It may be a "small, fledgling company," but it does have some very talented, experienced people involved.

Besides that, I get your point. I pretty much agree, but as was said before: this definitely won't hurt MS :rofl:

It may be a "small, fledgling company," but it does have some very talented, experienced people involved.

Besides that, I get your point. I pretty much agree, but as was said before: this definitely won't hurt MS :rofl:

585534157[/snapback]

[sarcasm] yeah... those "small and fledgling companies" suck so much that they're not capable of releasing a decent game on their first try, just like the suckers at Obsidian Entertainment... :devil:

that Star Wars game is the worse thing ever done for the Xbox, what were thinking the people that review that game, it doesn't deserve any of the "game of the year" award it got... [/sarcasm] :rolleyes: :shifty: :sleep: :x

I know that he meant it wouldn't hurt the PS2 RPG market, I was just saying I don't think the XBox 2 will have any impact in Japan even if they release those two RPGs.  There are hardly any XBoxes in Japan already so there is no reason to think that the release of XBox 2 will suddenly change that.  Both Sony and Nintendo always cater to the Japanese and they get games, including a ton of RPGs, that never make it to US shores unless if they are imported.  On the other hand MS doesn't cater to them at all and the Japanese have too much pride to buy from them.  Would you buy a console that is releasing 2 RPGs that will be released a few months or years apart rather then buy a console that will release 2 RPGs a month that has been made for them?  Maybe the two RPGs might sell tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of XBox 2's, but I do not see anything significant that would be a blip on the radar compared to Sony or Nintendo sales in Japan.  I was looking at Japanese console sales for this week: Link, I don't think 2 RPGs and the XBox 2 will make that much of a difference when the PS2 is still selling around 40,000 units a week when compared to the 592 XBox units sold.  Even look at their game tastes: Link, they are all Sony and Nintendo products, no American published products.  No matter how much MS tries, I don't think they will be able to get into that market unless if they take over some big Japanese game developer, not sign on for two games with some small fledgling company that has not released a game yet.

585533997[/snapback]

GA = Gaming-Age. Here is the link to the interview: Uematsu Interview

Anyway, you may be right in the end in that this will be of little help to MS Japan. Two games never changed the outcome of the so-called "system wars"(though, someone could argue that FF7 did just that for Playstation). But I do think that with this announcement, we will see a shift of Japanese developers for Xbox 2. Definitely not in the level of PS2(or even Gamecube) but certainly more support than the Xbox ever got. We will see if MS handles these two RPG games wisely. If they do, it might well help Xbox 2 gain some markershare in Japan.

[sarcasm] yeah... those "small and fledgling companies" suck so much that they're not capable of releasing a decent game on their first try, just like the suckers at Obsidian Entertainment...  :devil:

that Star Wars game is the worse thing ever done for the Xbox, what were thinking the people that review that game, it doesn't deserve any of the "game of the year" award it got... [/sarcasm]  :rolleyes:  :shifty:  :sleep:  :x

585535589[/snapback]

Yea Obsidian Entertainment may have done well in the US, but it did jack in Japan. I was talking about Mist Walker being a fledgling RPG company in Japan. What would make people want to switch from the big name RPG companies when Mist Walker hasn't proved anything?