Neowin Review : Seagate 100Gb USB 2.0 Portable Hd

great review..

i would def pick this up if it wasnt for the $200 price tag... i have plenty of hd space 300+gb.. but the ease of carrying around my "data" would be great... if it drops to $150... ill pick one up..

Great review. Looks likes a piece of gear. The price doesn't look that bad considering its specifically designed to be moved around and take "lethal blows" :laugh:

Plus its a Seagate, and I know from personal experience their HDs are great.

in this case seagate may have success. Primary reason for small hdd failures is physical failure (being dropped, banged up, ect) and Heat. Currently over the last quarter we have suffered 10% failure rate on laptops with seagate hdd's. Vendor stated that overall they had a 3% failure rate, which is normal. Now mind you I think the vendor could have designed a better laptop. When the seagates fail, they fail so completly you can't get data from them and have to send them off to data recovery.

Now, like I said earlier, being an external drive and not subject to the same heat issues and housed in a rugged case this actually might be a viable alternative. 200 for a laptop hdd ins't to bad either. although for 200 I would espcect usb and firewire support.

strange

i have a firelyte 40gig USB and it reads at 34 mb/sec and writes at 14

although the seagate just looks styleish as hell

What they need to build is not an ordinary portable disk.

Better if they build something like this

http://www.ximeta.com/products/network_drives/netdisk_mini/

Net Disk Mini

This is with :

Network Storage

Connect NetDisk? Mini to any available Ethernet switch for instant network storage