Pay themes

I think it is wrong that artists that ask compensation for their work are not allowed to post that work here. Most of the "pay" themes submitted have been more complete and of a higher quality than some of the free themes - not all, but some. I think I and others are capable of deciding what I want and don't want. We don't need someone making that decision for us. That is too much like censorship. A separate forum may be the answer, not "thread closed". I haven't submitted a theme or paid for one, but I think it is a shame that someone else has taken away that option for me and others.

Point taken, but at the same time, all it does is cause fuss. Everytime I look at a paytheme thread, most people forget the theme itself, and concentrate on the "Gotta pay" part. Just bookmark their webpage or something.

I think it is wrong that artists that ask compensation for their work are not allowed to post that work here. Most of the "pay" themes submitted have been more complete and of a higher quality than some of the free themes - not all, but some. I think I and others are capable of deciding what I want and don't want. We don't need someone making that decision for us. That is too much like censorship. A separate forum may be the answer, not "thread closed". I haven't submitted a theme or paid for one, but I think it is a shame that someone else has taken away that option for me and others.

good point, but it is just people trying to get rich by advertising through these forums. if they want to advertise they can do it through their site or else where

Let my just clarify something. Pay themes are creative commercial products. Whether they should be advertised or not is solely decided by Neowin policy, however I don't think it's fair to exclude the possibility of posting either in completed styles or in an all new topic group simply because users are constantly showing products that are also commercially available on this forum like software, windows modification utilities etc.

We are talking here, reviewing and what not about various commercial products, so why not visual styles. You don't have to buy it, you don't even have to read the thread, but please stop being jelous of someone that decided to dedicate a lot of time and creativity and try to make something commercial out of it and you are either too lazy, or unable to do it yourself. I'm sure that pay themes have great success, unless they are badly executed.

Let's say someone is building a really nice and fully complete pay theme and they want to post the progress to users for comments, ideas, testing or whatever, this is not marketing, this is improvement and quality assurance. You do it for many other software companies, so why not visual styles.

To conclude, yes, Neowin should allow posting of pay theme samples and sanction those who post "You suck because you are charging for it" comments.

what do u guyz think about creating a system where paid themes generate revenue for neowin? Assuming we have a new sub forum and any paid theme advertised in that sub form has to be traded/paid via neowin, thus earning commission for neowin for each sale made via neowin?

I know it may sound far fetched and / or like ebay but hey, money is money.

We are talking here, reviewing and what not about various commercial products, so why not visual styles. You don't have to buy it, you don't even have to read the thread, but please stop being jelous of someone that decided to dedicate a lot of time and creativity and try to make something commercial out of it and you are either too lazy, or unable to do it yourself. I'm sure that pay themes have great success, unless they are badly executed.

why pay for a theme when i can get a better one for free. or i could just rip off the preview of the pay theme and use it as my own vs

why pay for a theme when i can get a better one for free. or i could just rip off the preview of the pay theme and use it as my own vs

585652907[/snapback]

why pay for windows when you can use linux ??? :rolleyes:

you can always pirate windows as well :yes: