US FFVII: Advent Children Web site live

English-language portal for Square Enix's upcoming DVD/UMD movie features North American trailer.

The Final Fantasy role-playing franchise from Square Enix has long engaged gamers with its lengthy gameplay and epic cinematic sequences. Final Fantasy VII, released in 1997 on the PlayStation, is considered by fans and critics to be one of the series' best games, and gamers have long been eager for a true sequel.

However, instead of Final Fantasy VII: Part Deux the game, fans are getting a full CG movie, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, based on the game's characters. The film is being codirected by longtime FF character designer Tetsuya Nomura and Takeshi Nozue.

Those eager to take in every minute of the film still have to wait for its release, but Square Enix did dangle a carrot in front of its legions of admirers. The company has announced that the official US Web site for the film is now live. The site is still under construction, with virtually every Flash-enabled tab marked as "coming soon," but it is hosting a trailer for the film. The trailer is in English and is slightly different from the Japanese trailer shown at last year's Venice International Film Festival.

Titled Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, the film is set two years after the conclusion of the game and follows Cloud in the aftermath of his saving the world. Cloud is now running a courier service and lives with those orphaned in the game's climactic ending battle. However, Cloud's life as a pacifist quickly ends when a gang leader, Kadaj, brews trouble.

After some delays, the film still hasn't been released in any format. It is expected to come on DVD and on the PSP's UMD format in both Japan and North America soon. Unlike Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, the first film to bear the Final Fantasy name, Advent Children won't see a theatrical release.

For more information on the movie, read GameSpot's impressions of the trailer screened at the Venice International Film Festival.

For a look at the Japanese trailer for Advent Children, click on the link below.

Source: GameSpot

Last I heard, they're still trying for a theatrical release of the movie, unlike what the article above says. I dunno if it's gonna happen, but it'd be damn cool if it did.

Still waiting for a release date, though...

Last I heard, they're still trying for a theatrical release of the movie, unlike what the article above says. I dunno if it's gonna happen, but it'd be damn cool if it did.

Still waiting for a release date, though...

585741831[/snapback]

I don't know if they'll wanna do that after the dismal failure of the last one

Their first FF movie just didn't have the feel of an FF game to me and I was really disapointed, but something like this were you already have a background by playing a game would be great for us ****ty for them. If they would just release the dvd already everyone would be happy..