Neowin Interviews AMD - x64 @ WinHEC 2005

Neowin has been invited to sit down with a few AMD reps at WinHEC 05 and ask them about their line of desktop processors, driver support and availability for Windows XP x64.

We want you to ask the questions!

If there's anything you'd like to ask AMD then feel free to post here and we'll try our best to get answers :)

When is the FX-57 going to be released and what details can you give?

When can we (UK) Expect to get the Venice Cores at retail/online stores? (Probably here when you ask)

Do AMD see in the future themselfs manufacturing their own Chipset?

Whats next after Dual-Core?

Hi AMD, how will you use Windows Longhorn as key piece of technology for promoting your products and technologies and will you go full 64 bit manufacturing and just phase out 32 bit processors completely since it is expected that Longhorn x64 is considered the true linchpin that will begin the transition to 64 bit ubiquity?

When will the PR rating scheme start to dissappear and what will replace it?

Intel are starting to catch up these days performance and feature wise, do you have any other new plans to speed up performance other than dual cores?

Intel lead when it comes to media encoding, do you have any plans to improve that for your latest processors?

cheers

id like to know more aobut the toledo core (dual core 2mb L2) and their ddr2 chips (orleans/windsor).

edit:

sort of irrelevant in terms of technology but since i dont see dell using amd chips for the desktop market any time soon, how do they plan to make gains a larger share in teh market. do they plan to give more incentives to resellers? im not talking about their solutions provider program they have but something more along the line of wholesale discounts.

When will the PR rating scheme start to dissappear and what will replace it?

good question too. what do they plan to do to meet the needs of "media companies" whos workstations primarily consist of intel systems? seeing that intel has an obvious lead over amd in the encoding/rendering area.

Edited by Matt

Does AMD will support the next technologie of ATi, the dual core and the ATi chipset for this.

Does AMD Turion will get new chipset? (New Socket 754 mobos)

Is AMD going to implant Hyper-threading into their processors anytime soon?

Can you give us more details regarding AMD's plan of implanting virtualisation technology into their processors?

Whats next after Dual-Core?

585766773[/snapback]

Good question.

Edited by Help

Is AMD going to implant Hyper-threading into there procesoors anytime soon?

585766879[/snapback]

good question, i would of asked the same but i think it's unlikely myself due to the dual cores

Is AMD going to implant Hyper-threading into there procesoors anytime soon?

Can you give us more details regarding the ability to run multiple OSs simotaniously? (I forgot what's called)

Good question.

585766879[/snapback]

Triple or quadruple core.

Does AMD Turion will get new chipset? (New Socket 754 mobos)

585766872[/snapback]

Anything question related with Turion would be interesting since there is very little information about it on the web.

Triple or quadruple core.

585766908[/snapback]

There's a word for it; Multicore. :whistle:

When (if ever) do you think the consumer computer industry will abandon the x86 in favour of a better designed architecture? (I'm not talking about x86 -> x86_64. I'm talking about completely getting rid of the architecture.)

Intel lead when it comes to media encoding, do you have any plans to improve that for your latest processors?

585766862[/snapback]

Good question.. I'd like to know as well (Y)

Will you continue to use the socket 754 platform or will that be abandoned soon because of 939? What's after 939?

Will Dell ever use AMD?

Do you think that the transition to 64bits will come swift or gradual for the current crop of consumers? (eg..windows xp x64)

Will Dell ever use AMD?

hehe "Will Dell ever use AMD?"

NO, however continuing to sell those $499.00 128mb celeron machines that are slower than my old socket 7 K6-3 machine will ensure that thay never have return customers. thus leading them down the road that packard bell took to rest with the dinosaurs. A new computer company will rise to the occasion useing AMD processors and the world will be saved!

On the plus side those celeron machines make AMD and my self lots of money when I build a nice fast AMD replacement machine for those same unhappy customers. :D

Will AMD and Intel ever use the same socket design / pinout agian? or will "seperate but equal" be the continued future for both companies ?

Edited by OldeCrow

Has AMD plans to increase the width of theL2 Cache memory in the k8 Architecture

from 128 to 256 bits??

Will AMD made a Transition to the DDR2 market or we can expect a better Step From AMD waiting for the DDR3 Market?

Has AMD a New Data-Prefetching system to be used in a next core update

of K8?

this question concerning about this new patent filled by AMD

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser...s%22.AS.&OS=AN/

Thanx

Edited by Painkiller

Do AMD see in the future themselfs manufacturing their own Chipset?

585766773[/snapback]

They already do its just not a popular option unless you move into server stuff. theres a amd 8*** something chipset for s940/opteron servers. that was last time i looked into it.

My Questions.

Intel has already announced special instruction sets for longhorn. What is amd preparing for the longhorn era.

Will it be possible we will see turion based desktop systems to market for consumers wanting a wireless low profile based desktop (similar to what intel is wanting to do with the centrino) ?

If these arnt answered ill just ask one of the 3 amd people I see at all the austin lan partys. ;)

How come, on AMD's website, I can only find the AMD Athlon 64 Processor Driver (that enables Cool 'n' Quiet) for a 32-bit Windows Platform, why isn't this driver available for Windows x64 if that's the platform that runs best on your processors? What about Linux Drivers for Cool 'n' Quiet?

Will AMD's Dual Core Socket 939 Chips be compatable with nVidia nForce 3/4 chipsets? I've heard that the thermal protection circuitry in these chipsets are incompatable. Would I still be able to upgrade to Dual Core if I take the risk of having this Thermal Protection disabled or would it even be possible for you to program this new thermal protection in the BIOS or an Operating System Driver? If there is no fix to your Dual-Core Processor design to make it compatable with the nForce 3/4, Do you expect nVidia to make a recall or trade-in programme? (I am running an nVidia nForce4 SLI chipset and am getting quite worried about my investment)

Thanks.