Are electronics in Japan really that cheap?

My brother is going over for a few weeks in May. I've always heard how much cheaper things are there. should I be making a list of things for him to bring back? Any recommendations? :)

Only if you buy the phased out models (which should still be far ahead of what we have in Canada). You can find some really good deals in Akihabara though.

Just remember, nothing is cheap in Japan :/

No, electronics generally aren't any cheaper in Japan than they are in the US, though I wouldn't know about Canadian/UK prices. I've been to Tokyo a couple times in the past year and a half, toured various department stores and electronics shops in Akihabara and after you do the currency conversion most stuff works out to about the same price as it would be in the US.

I had a Korean customer come into the shop the other day, asking about his mobile phone.

We've got ones with color screens and video and all that crap. Obviously. But his was like a damn DVD player.

The video was oh so smooth. And it was years ahead of what we've got here.

Then I asked him what he paid for it over there, but in our currency. And he told me about AU$300.

That's damn cheap.

I have news for you, m8 !

In HK, it's even cheaper !! Just across the border from HK in Shenzen are probably the lowest prices on earth ;)

Don't tell anyone I told you so :D

Electronics are expensive in Japan. But then again, everything is there, so I guess it's all relative. The electronics district in Tokyo is Akihabara, and the electronics district in Osaka is Nipponbashi, so those places might have some decent deals if you're willing to snoop around.

i was looking into a electronic buying holiday in hong kong, anything i should consider?

Particular places to visit, perticuarly cheap specific products, i.e palm tops are dirt cheap but cameras are about the same.

Isn't there a special district like a 'Electronics District' where they have very cheap electronics, I have this friend thats half Japanese and his Mother said that there was a specific district in Tokyo where they sold electronics at low prices.

XinanZhang?