128 bit .. 256 bit console question

sorry for the stupid question , but will revolution be 256 bit machine, considering every console up to doubled on the one before, i.e. N64 ---> 128 bit cube..

not that i have much of a clue about what a 128 or 256 bit machine really means, but back in the day, they used really hype up their next console in terms of its bit no. :cool:

The bit number really doesn't matter. The N64 was 64bit but graphically wasn't much, if any, better than the 32bit PlayStation and technology wise was worse because of the cartridge system.

Strictly speaking none of the consoles this generation were 128 bit, none of the CPUs at their heart were 128 bit CPUs.

what is the bit a measure of, bytelength for the gpu?

585808880[/snapback]

I'm fairly certain the PS2 GPU is 128 bit, Xbox has a 256 bit GPU, Nintendo never really disclosed what exactly the GameCube's was though.

Meh, bits don't really matter anymore. Back in the day, it was a marketing tool to say, "hey, our graphics are better," but now, there are so many different things that go into graphics that you cannot really say that anymore.

I'm pretty certain the XBox was just a Pentium 3, which was 32bit.

Could someone explain the advantages of a 256bit GPU over a 128bit GPU. (not CPU, thanks).

And to the poster who mentioned the cartridge, Flash is much faster than CDROMs, it's a technically a better solution. Though, it costs more per MB than CDROMs.