MPAA targets TV download sites

Continuing its war on Internet file-swapping sites, the Motion Picture Association of America said Thursday that it has filed lawsuits against a half-dozen hubs for TV show trading.

The trade association said that piracy of TV programming is growing quickly online, and that shows are as important to protect as big-budget films. This is the first legal action from the group that has focused most heavily on TV content.

"Every television series depends on other markets (such as) syndication and international sales to earn back the enormous investment required to produce the comedies and dramas we all enjoy," MPAA Chief Executive Officer Dan Glickman said in a statement. "Those markets are substantially hurt when that content is stolen."

The latest round of suits retains a focus on BitTorrent technology, which has been widely used online to distribute movies and films.

The suits are focused on the sites that serve as traffic directors for BitTorrent swaps, rather than on individual computer users uploading and downloading content. The MPAA also has sued individuals, but has not said how many people have been targeted.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5705142.html

Well if they would show the episodes more than once, or over a way to distribute episodes at a good quality for an inexpensive price, then perhaps this would stop. It really sucks if you miss an episode and can't see it until the DVD comes out.

so hows this any different from having a dvd recorder/tivo/VCR ??? i think this whole MPAA/RIAA thing is a huge hypocracy and some sort of conspiracy ... it doesnt make sense.

and how does the MPAA sue for tv?

Advertisers don't make money this way (since most people who upload progs are kind enough to cut that crap out.) Isn't that all that matters? Do you think their (MPAA Etc) aim is a better fairer world? :D

greedy ass sons of bitches ... it's always about money.

lets sue downloaders for downloading a movie while we could actually stop the problem by eliminating the source. somehow these movies are getting out of the studios (if they arent recorded in the theaters) so why not stop the source. GOD i hate the MPAA.

Well if they would show the episodes more than once, or over a way to distribute episodes at a good quality for an inexpensive price, then perhaps this would stop. It really sucks if you miss an episode and can't see it until the DVD comes out.

585911400[/snapback]

thats good,a true version of TV-on-Demand. Have shows stay on for a week or so if you miss it you can see it, well you cant really miss it, it just start being offered at a certain day and time. But this can never be free :pinch: well VCRs are cheap now and there are DVRs and PVRs for people. Strange they cant use a VCR,DVR,or PVR, seems faster than the internet

Yet another reason to have my pcHDTV card in my MythTV box. No need to download. Just capture, strip the commercials, and reencode to a smaller format. Keeps me clean from the MPAA and lets me exercise my Fair Use rights.

greedy ass sons of bitches ... it's always about money.

lets sue downloaders for downloading a movie while we could actually stop the problem by eliminating the source.  somehow these movies are getting out of the studios (if they arent recorded in the theaters)  so why not stop the source.  GOD i hate the MPAA.

585911437[/snapback]

easier said then done, they are trying to stop "the source" buts it not that easy. you can record shows with your tivo,vcr,ect... but you cannot distribute it, it for personal use. yea the MPAA is about money, but which money making business isnt, they have people to protect, the unknows who help make TV and movies.

Damn them idiots! They e-mailed me a warning once a couple of years ago, but that's not stopping me from sharing various OC episodes on LimeWire! Just as long as I don't let it run overnight, I should be OK.

they're just doing it to make more money, everyone settles, so they make a profit.

Bulls***. I can at least understand wanting to stop piracy of movies, but how the hell is downloading TV episodes anywhere near as bad? I pay for cable, so if I miss an episode, it's my goddamn right to download it. Hell, if the stuidos would release online versions of the episodes with unskippable commercials built in, I'd download those instead. I don't give a s*** about commercials. Christ, so f***ing ridiculous.

Screw 'em all.

Bulls***. I can at least understand wanting to stop piracy of movies, but how the hell is downloading TV episodes anywhere near as bad? I pay for cable, so if I miss an episode, it's my goddamn right to download it. Hell, if the stuidos would release online versions of the episodes with unskippable commercials built in, I'd download those instead. I don't give a s*** about commercials. Christ, so f***ing ridiculous.

Screw 'em all.

585911539[/snapback]

Say it loud :yes:

If they want to take away my ability to download shows, then they should provide me with a free crystal clear way to watch the shows. I live within less than 5 miles away from a major metropolitan area, but the shows I want to watch are nearly unwatchable on one channel due to visual and audio static. I don't enjoy watching shows with constant static, therefore I download the shows to watch them static free.

I demand free static free TV.

Please don't take me too seriously, I'm only half serious, but my point still stands, I download the shows I can't watch due to poor viewing conditions.

No matter how hard they try they're not going to be able to bring down....

585911623[/snapback]

They seem to be untouchable at the moment! they should upgrade thier servers :laugh: handle the worlds filesharing.... !

The legal treats section is excellent entertainment :rofl:

Edited by Chad

No matter how hard they try they're not going to be able to bring down that site they have been trying to get for years.

585911623[/snapback]

(changed name per mod request)

Once the law changes say by by

Exactly obake, I pay for cable as well and feel as if I have the right to download tv episodes, they are basically free anyways, say I did not have cable I'd have them anyways since most the shows I watch are played on 2 (CBS), 5 (NBC), 7 (ABC), or 12 (FOX). It's different for a lot of you, but those are my channels.

So what if the internet ones have commercials cut out, who here would just skip the commercials with the seek bar anyways? I think 99.9% of all of us probably would do that anyways. So it's just better for them to cut them out and works for us, also cuts down on the file size alittle.

I work nights a lot, and don't always get to watch the tv episodes I want to watch as well as the fact that some are on at the same time. For example, I love watching Blind Justice and The Shield on Tuesdays, I can only watch one or the other though, since they are on at the same time. I can't exactly tape The Shield and watch Blind Justice at the same time without going out and buying either another tv or a tv card and etc etc to be able too. Much easier to just download it instead.

They should replay the episodes but they never do, maybe one in awhile when they do a week, or more week pause between new episodes, you might be able to catch the one you missed, but you won't always catch the one you missed. So your stuck waiting for it to come out on DVD, and by then you probably don't remember since it is so many months later anyways till the dvd release, if I even comes out on dvd.

Exactly they think we dont want to pay and ****. I dont download movies anymore but i dont go and see them either. Only a few a year. (not kidding) I would be glad to pay if they could let me download it legally and watch it and delete it off my HD.

With TV shows they need to shut up. They dont know the advertising is working because they have no sure way of telling if anybody watched the show that night. ITs all estimation

Exactly they think we dont want to pay and ****. I dont download movies anymore but i dont go and see them either. Only a few a year. (not kidding) I would be glad to pay if they could let me download it legally and watch it and delete it off my HD.

With TV shows they need to shut up. They dont know the advertising is working because they have no sure way of telling if anybody watched the show that night. ITs all estimation

585911674[/snapback]

Yip but if the advertisers know people will actually have to watch the ads sometimes they are more likely to pay for ad space than if they know for a fact people can skip it/have it cut out automatically

Yip but if the advertisers know people will actually have to watch the ads sometimes they are more likely to pay for ad space than if they know for a fact people can skip it/have it cut out automatically

585911683[/snapback]

Whats the difference between that and changing to another channel when the ads are displayed?