Why Do We Get Deja Vu's?

My mate just asked me if i get them, and i do, but we cant explain why, and i dont think its been answered has it? what are you views on it? When it happens, im like, hold on, im sure iv done this before :blink:

Dunno. I still think that Deja Vu's are coincidences where we remember the last time it happened but what if we don't remember? In that case, we would have a lot of Deja Vu's without know it.

D?j? vu has been firmly associated with temporal-lobe epilepsy. Reportedly, d?j? vu can occur just prior to a temporal-lobe epileptic attack. People suffering an epileptic seizure of this kind can experience d?j? vu during the actual seizure activity or in the moments between convulsions.

How Stuff Work

There you go.. you are about to have an epileptic at:pinch:pinch:

edit:

some psychiatrists ascribe it to a mismatching in the brain that causes the brain to mistake the present for the past.

or maybe a little too much :shifty:hifty:

well most of my deja vus are related to dreams i have had before. i think that 90% of our brain that we dont use is busy making up elaborate things. or maybe our life is predetermined and when we sleep we skip ahead in the story and read a page or two then continue on in real life and experience what we already read. its like your own personal spoiler!! :D :ninja:

^...haha actually...yeah...I'm with you there...sometimes I would be doing something and I'd be like...HOLY WOW!...Deja Vu...than I'd think where I know this from...and I realize I dreamed it like....3 days ago or something...:D...scary stuff..

i cannot explain them, but i had one where i was in a place i never being before and i knew what i will see next. everything felt like i was there before. but i think i saw it in a dream. no logical explanation.

The most accepted explanation is that your brain acccidentally puts what you're seeing into long term memory instead of short term, thus making you think what you are experiencing right now happened in the past. In comuting terms, think of it as on-the-fly writing to disk when it should be caching...

The most accepted explanation is that your brain acccidentally puts what you're seeing into long term memory instead of short term, thus making you think what you are experiencing right now happened in the past. In comuting terms, think of it as on-the-fly writing to disk when it should be caching...

585984195[/snapback]

i disagree with that one because sometimes what i recall is coming straight from archived tape and not from any disk and i sometime can recall the events that unfold in the specific deja vu.

I don't know what causes them but they are awesome. :p

I used to get them very often, several times a day. Now I get them about once every two months. In most I not only think "I've done this before", but I also see some possibility of what could happen next which is usually wrong, all in that split-second. Last week I had one of the oddest Deja-Vu's I've ever had. It was a deja-vu of a deja-vu in which everyone in the room except me somehow ended up dead with no further explanation. :blink:

They are fun for the most part though. :D

For the most part, I was prone to experiencing Deja Vu with a touch of Alzheimers, and I was convinced that I had forgotten what was happening before.

Nowadays, I just get Vuja De, or the feeling that i've never experienced this before.

TYT

i disagree with that one because sometimes what i recall is coming straight from archived tape and not from any disk and i sometime can recall the events that unfold in the specific deja vu.

585984210[/snapback]

Which is kind of interesting I think. In a way, it seems almost like we actually dream through parts of or even our whole lives subconsciously (we just can't remember most of it when we are conscious). That's how we sometimes feel that "something is right" or our "instincts" tell us to do something correct. It's just our subconscious acting on knowledge it already knows, but your active mind doesn't. (Which in this theory, means it depends on how attuned you are to your subconscious and dreams.) Deja vu's are just random hiccups when your subconscious spills into your conscious mind. It ultimately means the brain has another layer of function that allows us to do this. There are some parts of the String Theory which can be transported into this (though it says nothing about this specifically). In conclusion, we know nothing.