What can I take to improve my memory?

I hate to start a new topic because I just saw this one, but I didn't want to rob him of his topic.

I have a seriously bad memory. If thats not bad enough, I have been diagnosed with Adult ADD. I was put on medication for the ADD, but it didn't help all that much, and it made me throw up every single day and I ended up losing 20lbs because of the throwing up. So I stopped taking it, I talked to my doctor and the same thing happens with every medication he's tried putting me on for ADD. Anyway, about the memory, my short term memory is fine. I can remember what I was doing even if I was interrupted, but my somewhat long term is horrible. I'll tell someone a story, then I'll tell them the next day, and they're like "duh, you already told me this!". I do this ALL the time. Or, I'll make plans to do something with someone, then next thing you know, that day comes, and I totally forgot and accidentally blew the person off. Now, I know Gingko Baloba(sp?) is suppossed to help, but I need serious help. I'm wondering if anyone here takes anything for memory and if they could let me know what they take. My doctor says my form of memory loss is typical, and nothing worth taking a prescription drug over, but it's annoying as hell for me.

So basically I'm looking for some memory improving drugs/vitamins/foods.

Also slightly off topic, I need some software so I can actually document my appointments that I make so that I stop forgetting about them. Hopefully something that will notify me every day of what appointments I have made for the day.

Thanks!

i have the same problem but i dont have ADD, i just have terable memory and im 14 , i have to study extra hard for tests and although my IQ is way above normal i cant remember anything unless i review over and over.

1. Use a skill saw to cut a slot in the back of your head.

2. Wash away the blood from the skull cutting.

3. Slap a 1 gig stick of OCZ 1Ghz RAM in the slot you made.

4. Plug your wang into a light socket and flip the switch to activate new memory.

Note: Cut another slot and install a 6800 ultra to improve imagination :)

the best solution is a pencil and paper my friend. just take note of plans with a calendar or pda. this will help you remember and improve your memory at the same time.

1. Use a skill saw to cut a slot in the back of your head.

2. Wash away the blood from the skull cutting.

3. Slap a 1 gig stick of OCZ 1Ghz RAM in the slot you made.

4. Plug your wang into a light socket and flip the switch to activate new memory.

Note: Cut another slot and install a 6800 ultra to improve imagination :)

585997181[/snapback]

:rofl: Thats one way..

I heard fish is good for your memory and theres this nut which i cant remeber the name of

The nut which i was reffering to was almonds

You don't smoke mary jane do you?

Just curious cos that causes memory loss as you may well know. It might be generic? Is your family forgetful?

I'd suggest eating healthy food, plenty of fruit, stay off the sweets, go the gym do active things to keep your brain moving.

You could go all "Memento" and start getting tattoos every day. :p

Seriously, though, try some herbal things if the prescriptions are making you ill. Also, ask your doctor if there are any common "ingredients" in the meds; maybe you're allergic to something that's common in most ADD meds.

While exercise and healthy eating might promote whole-body healthiness, if you want to improve your memory you should be asking about which books to read or doing critical-thinking exercises rather than taking medication.

Thats the problem, I can't do 'thinking exercises'. I don't have the time. I'm looking for vitamins/herbal remedies that will help.

Thats the problem, I can't do 'thinking exercises'. I don't have the time.

586001402[/snapback]

Wait, you're too busy to think?

If this is a real problem for you, then you'd make the time to do some thinking exercises. Hell, keep an exercise book in the bathroom for when you take a crap.

Wait, you're too busy to think?

If this is a real problem for you, then you'd make the time to do some thinking exercises. Hell, keep an exercise book in the bathroom for when you take a crap.

586001459[/snapback]

I'm not too busy to THINK. However, I can see you've never attempted a memory excercise. They aren't something you can do while doing your homework. In order to actually be effective they require an extreme amount of time. Or STUDYING just like remembering anything for school, or work.

I can't make the time either. I do not want stupid bull**** answer like yours. I am looking for herbal remedies for my problem and I had already stated that.

I don't spend 20 minutes taking a crap either. I'm in and then out. I don't enjoy sitting with my stench all day like some people.

my short term memory is fine. I can remember what I was doing even if I was interrupted, but my somewhat long term is horrible.

585995788[/snapback]

Glad to see i'm not the only one

my long term memory is usally good once something goes in there i can usally remember it.

however my short term memory is pretty poor at the best of times and at the worst of times its DIRE. I can't remember what i was doing 5 minutes ago or what someone said.

ive quite often been asked to do something and completely forgotten

im also amazing at putting things down and then forgetting where i put them, Now that can be really annoying :wacko:

I'm not too busy to THINK. However, I can see you've never attempted a memory excercise. They aren't something you can do while doing your homework. In order to actually be effective they require an extreme amount of time. Or STUDYING just like remembering anything for school, or work.

I can't make the time either. I do not want stupid bull**** answer like yours. I am looking for herbal remedies for my problem and I had already stated that.

I don't spend 20 minutes taking a crap either. I'm in and then out. I don't enjoy sitting with my stench all day like some people.

586001519[/snapback]

I have, actually, done memory exercises, so sorry to burst your bubble.

And I'm sorry you think my answer is "bull****," but the fact of the matter is that there isn't a "magic pill" that's going to solve all your problems. Herbal remedies can help, yes, but you're going to get much better results if you combine that with some mental exercises. A real simple one is to just think of a set of numbers in your head and then recite it backwards. It helps your concentration and your memory.

If you want it enough, you'll be willing to take 10-20 minutes before you go to bed to just try some things. However, it sounds like you want the quick and easy solution, and if you're unwilling to try anything else, then you're going to be greatly disappointed.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

I have, actually, done memory exercises, so sorry to burst your bubble.

And I'm sorry you think my answer is "bull****," but the fact of the matter is that there isn't a "magic pill" that's going to solve all your problems. Herbal remedies can help, yes, but you're going to get much better results if you combine that with some mental exercises. A real simple one is to just think of a set of numbers in your head and then recite it backwards. It helps your concentration and your memory.

If you want it enough, you'll be willing to take 10-20 minutes before you go to bed to just try some things. However, it sounds like you want the quick and easy solution, and if you're unwilling to try anything else, then you're going to be greatly disappointed.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

586001930[/snapback]

Well, if 12 hours a day programming isn't enough brainwork then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not looking for a magic pill. I'm looking for something that has been proven to help with memory. I spend far too much time each day working my brain. I come home and I DO NOT want to work more. It's beyond annoying. If you think I'm lazy because I don't want to do much more, then you apparently haven't ever had a migrane day after day from staring at a computer screen programming.

If you're working that hard, then maybe you should take a breather. You need to sort out what's a priority for you. If you really want to overcome this, then you've got to put in the time.

The best proven method of increasing memory is by using it more and more. My friend also has memory problems, and even playing simple games like Concentration (the one with matching cards) helped him. Like obake said, all it takes is 10-20 minutes every night. And since it's a game, it's more fun than an exercise. See if you can find more games like that.

I'm in 4th year Engineering Physics right now (that's full 7 courses per term = ~40hours a week of classes... then comes homework and studying). I always make it a priority to have some time at the end of the day to relax and do what I want/need to do. I can tell you from experience (although you probably don't need me to tell you this) that working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week is no fun and not healthy. I'm 6'4" and I dropped from 160lbs to 148lbs last summer over the course of a month.

If you're working that hard, then maybe you should take a breather. You need to sort out what's a priority for you. If you really want to overcome this, then you've got to put in the time.

The best proven method of increasing memory is by using it more and more. My friend also has memory problems, and even playing simple games like Concentration (the one with matching cards) helped him. Like obake said, all it takes is 10-20 minutes every night. And since it's a game, it's more fun than an exercise. See if you can find more games like that.

I'm in 4th year Engineering Physics right now (that's full 7 courses per term = ~40hours a week of classes... then comes homework and studying). I always make it a priority to have some time at the end of the day to relax and do what I want/need to do. I can tell you from experience (although you probably don't need me to tell you this) that working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week is no fun and not healthy. I'm 6'4" and I dropped from 160lbs to 148lbs last summer over the course of a month.

586002121[/snapback]

The point is, with all the work I do from day to day, it should help my memory, but it isn't. My doctor is the one who recommended nutritional suppliments for now, because he doesn't believe that it's serious enough for medication. However, he didn't know about what would help because that isn't his specialty.

Well, if 12 hours a day programming isn't enough brainwork then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not looking for a magic pill. I'm looking for something that has been proven to help with memory. I spend far too much time each day working my brain. I come home and I DO NOT want to work more. It's beyond annoying. If you think I'm lazy because I don't want to do much more, then you apparently haven't ever had a migrane day after day from staring at a computer screen programming.

586001997[/snapback]

A) Programming is probably not great mental exercise. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that spending 12 hrs/day on a comp for any reason may harm your thinking abilities. You might consider another job/career if you believe that it is harming you.

B) You may as well forget about pills/medicines that are going to help your memory, unless you believe those 3 AM infomercials. There is no drug, herbal or otherwise, proven to help your memory. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know a thing about scientific study.

C) If your doctor said there are medicines or supplements to help you, then find a different doctor.

D) Bottom line: start reading. It's relaxing, stimulating, and will without doubt make your mind sharper.

A) Programming is probably not great mental exercise.  There is plenty of evidence to suggest that spending 12 hrs/day on a comp for any reason may harm your thinking abilities.  You might consider another job/career if you believe that it is harming you.

B) You may as well forget about pills/medicines that are going to help your memory, unless you believe those 3 AM infomercials.  There is no drug, herbal or otherwise, proven to help your memory.  Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know a thing about scientific study.

C) If your doctor said there are medicines or supplements to help you, then find a different doctor.

D) Bottom line: start reading.  It's relaxing, stimulating, and will without doubt make your mind sharper.

586002250[/snapback]

gingko baloba has been proven to help memory. I'm curious what else is out there.