Trolling > Linux/BSD

I've noticed that a number of users simply suggest using some other distro rather than provide an adequate answer to resolve the issue a user is facing. This often leads to squabbles about which distro is better causing the thread to move way off-topic.

This is a problem of course in other forums as well, but in seen regularly in the Open Source OS forums.

I see the thread you are talking about in particular now. The best thing is to report it, especially if it is flagrant or unwelcome.

Unfortunately, this seems to be fairly common. I especially police *nixers who troll in Windows threads, as these are the most personally annoying to me. :crazy:

I generally let a bit of it go, especially if coupled with other helpful suggestions, but the one I see (and you replied to) wasn't very helpful at all.

I've noticed that a number of users simply suggest using some other distro rather than provide an adequate answer to resolve the issue a user is facing.  This often leads to squabbles about which distro is better causing the thread to move way off-topic.

This is a problem of course in other forums as well, but in seen regularly in the Open Source OS forums.

586040759[/snapback]

p_report.gif

I agree,

the other day I was looking for help to enable DMA on a Ubuntu system, and someone suggested I use Gentoo :wacko:

and linux communauty is claiming having the biggest live support

these few ppl make a bad reputation

fortunatly, these are not the majority

I already posted a couple of noobish question about suse on neowin and got correctly answered

If someone asks how to configure something in KDE, don't tell him to use XFCE for ****'s sake. That isn't the ****ing point.

If someone can't properly ./configure something, don't tell him to use gentoo because emerge is so "great". He doesn't care and don't try to make him care.

What a lot of people do is instead of attacking the problem and solving it, they'll suggest something totally different that will work, but still not answer your ****ing question and I swear that makes me go nuts and give up on asking ppl for help. I end up searching on my own and fixing things the hard way by breaking and redoing everything.

I once asked a question to a few ppl that knew PostgreSQL because I had trouble configuring it for the first time (couldn't login :ninja: ) and then the whole thing turned into a PostgreSQL vs MySQL debate. :angry:

Why do ppl do that? Why do people like to steer away from the original question and create a debate while defending what they use? What do they gain the end? Nada... that's what. And that's how zealots are born. That's what's wrong with the community. Instead of helping eachother, we create debates among the choices that are available to us.

hmmmm...

Q: my coffee isn't sweet enough, how can i add suger?

A: drink some tea...

reminds me of all those threads about issues with IE and instead of suggesting solutions every troll dropped a line about how much better firefox is...

Bet you learned something though.

586061772[/snapback]

Yeah... Breaking stuff and googling thing from page 1 til page 20... thats what I seem to love to do. That's how I learn most stuff on PC :rofl:

I ask in forums when I need advice/tips or an answer that I couldn't possibly find or that I need because it's urgent.