Hardcore video corruption (pics inside)

Hey guys,

I've been battling the problems with my laptop ever since i've had it, but a new problem has arisen lately that i can't get rid of.

a couple minutes of playing a graphic-intense game, video corruption will occur and get progressively worse the longer I play. here are a couple screenshots to show you how it looks playing CS.

I've tried updating my drivers and formatting my computer, but neither worked or made any impact. any suggestions would be great.

I have a 3.2ghz p4 laptop w/ a 256mb mobility radeon 9700, purchased from ibuypower.com several months ago. i wouldn't reccomend them to anybody, by the way.

i didn't have this problem when i first bought the laptop, it has only started occuring in the past couple of weeks.

any suggestions would be great! thanks guys!

cs_castleball_usa0005.jpgcs_castleball_usa0006.jpgcs_office0009.jpgcs_castleball_usa0000.jpg

yep that appears to be a hardware problem. reduce any overclocking you've done and make sure your computer's fans and air intakes are free from dust or other obstructions.

i havn't touched the clock-rates whatsoever. are there any drivers that you guys would reccomend? i even have my laptop sitting on a laptop-cooler for extra heat-reduction.

I would say overheating or some major overclocking leading to it.

P4 in a laptop. I'm guessing it gets very hot right ? Desktop replacement Laptop ?

The hotter it gets the worse. If it still under warrenty return it or exchange.

I wish I COULD return/exchange it, but they have a 30-day policy. If I just replaced the videocard would that solve my problems? should I underclock my card? :(

I would say overheating or some major overclocking leading to it.

P4 in a laptop. I'm guessing it gets very hot right ? Desktop replacement Laptop ?

The hotter it gets the worse. If it still under warrenty return it or exchange.

586115857[/snapback]

Agree, since it only does it while playing games.

I wish I COULD return/exchange it, but they have a 30-day policy.  If I just replaced the videocard would that solve my problems?  should I underclock my card?  :(

586115873[/snapback]

If its still in warranty then complain to them about it.

Should come with a 1 year warrenty for a laptop....

Your graphics card is suffering badly from heat, it can't take it. Since the 9700 is usually modular in laptops.. you CAN replace it but it might be pretty hard to get hold of the exact one for your laptop. An exchange may be your best option..

I had the EXAKT SAME problem with my 9700 Pro from Hercules a while ago. I sent it in and they said to me the card is EOL (End of Life).

I got an 9800 Pro as an exchange. So, I'm pretty sure the Videocard is unfixable broken and no driverupdate helps.

Well its not just the video card you see thats causing the problem. The processor is also getting hot and all that power leads to heat. From what I am seeing the video is also generating some major heat and its leading it to start causing artifacts etc. Explain to them the problem. Complain as much as you can. No proper cooling leading to video corruption etc. I'm sure they would take it into consideration, as you can say its defective.

if only complaining would fix everything...

ibuypower has had my laptop for a total of about 4.5 months that i've had it. The customer service is atrocious, and I always go to them as a last resort. As you can tell, this isn't the first time i've had trouble with the laptop. It appears that it's my only option, though.

That really sucks man I was looking at Ibuy's laptops a while back but ended up going Apple. From the looks of it I really think it is heat :no:

A bit off topic but when I saw the "Hardcore video" part of your title I though it was something else :ninja: :whistle:

wow, that looks worse than when I tried to run Vice city for the first time..... the funny thing was i had the latest drivers at that time, so I had to go back to an earlier version to fix it.

It appears to me to be an overheating issue as well.

With laptops one problem, especially with the newer ones, is that the copper fins on the heatsink(s) get clogged up with lint, dust and dirt severy limiting or even stopping the airflow. I have seen this problem time and time again in my computer shop. The only way to correct it is to, pull the heatsinks and fan out of yoru laptop and blowing them out and wipe the fan blades off with a Q-tip and some rubbing alchol.

Damn, this has been happening to me as well, but only in CS:S. Other games are fine. I'm waiting for the newest Omega drivers, hoping that they'll be able to fix the problem, since I didn't have it before I upgraded to the 5.4 drivers.

EDIT: Ooh! I just noticed they got released yesterday! Gonna give them a shot, be back in a few minutes. :)