Screensaver Flurry..

• 1 month later...

guys...if you get the get the 1 frame lag for flurry screensaver...rename the extention from .scr to .sCr it worked for me :D the screensaver is a bit grainy, because i got a dope graphics card >_>

guys...if you get the get the 1 frame lag for flurry screensaver...rename the extention from .scr to .sCr it worked for me :D the screensaver is a bit grainy, because i got a dope graphics card >_>

586734619[/snapback]

ummm.... changing from lower case to upper case on a file name or extension in Windows makes absolutely no difference in anything, as Windows file names aren't case sensitive.

what the crap??? can someone explain to me the difference between scr and sCr ... and how that would boost performance

586734635[/snapback]

scr & sCr in Windows, makes no difference whatsoever and has nothing to do with performance.

I'm saying that if the Flurry screensaver runs slow and laggy, that you should rename the extention from .scr to .sCr. (mostly for Intel graphics). And it has nothing to do with performance whatsoever. This is intended for people who has the trouble of running the screensaver smoothly. It'll return to its intended speed. Read this:

6 - This saver is running slowly, and I am using Intel graphics.

First, read this. In a nutshell, Intel disables hardware acceleration for OpenGL screensavers. I would like to believe that they have a good reason for doing this, but I cannot think of one. It sounds like one of those situations where a programmer tries to make his software easier to use by outsmarting the user, which is always a terrible design decision. Computers are supposed to do what you tell them to do, not what someone else thinks you want them to do. I can only hope this is a temporary fix while they work on a real solution.

One kind user reported a workaround: Try renaming your OpenGL savers from ".scr" to ".sCr". It appears the Intel driver does not check all variations on capitalization when it deactivates hardware rendering.

http://www.reallyslick.com/faq.html#6

ummm.... changing from lower case to upper case on a file name or extension in Windows makes absolutely no difference in anything, as Windows file names aren't case sensitive.

...right......

Thanks, fsphere. It works like charm. And it must be because of the Intel Graphics.

You know how it feels when you can't taste the thing you love so much. :rofl:

Thanks again.

Awesome, I was surfing google for a fix and glad I finally found it here. Thanks, fsphere!

I previously had this screensaver working perfectly for my 400mhz Celeron PC with a Radeon 32mb PCI card. Now, thankfully, it works just as nicely on my 2 Ghz P4 PC with the embedded intel graphics. :)

• 3 weeks later...

no lag here running pentium m 1.3, 1gb pc2700ddr, 4200rpm hard drive on laptop, nvidia geforce fx go 5200

:D also when im running on battery the proc slows to 600mhz still no lag.

I have had this screensaver forever, and it has alway ran slow on my system. I tried the renaming trick, and it work! By Christmas I will have my gfx card, so I hopefully won't have this problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is 5 months late but u need 2 have ur monitor on 32bit colour depth.

I had the same problem just now when i formatted my pc. Worked perfectly before i formatted so i knew it wasnt hardware - had to be software - graphics card drivers were installed and working cause other 3d stuff was fine....played around....swapped to 32bit colour depth - perfect!!!

• 4 months later...

Mmmm... I have a bit of a problem with the above screensavers...

When using Ubuntu with the Legacy Nvidia drivers (Riva TNT2) the screenies work fine and fast! All of them... (In Linux before drivers it was slow of course)

In Windows XP the Screensavers are all horribly slow... Don't know what it is... I thaught Microsoft Drivers worked fine? I'll try updating to the 6X.XX ones...