Anti-MS Group Aims to Block Vista

A public interest lawyer who is also intending to run as a Republican in the 2006 Illinois gubernatorial race is taking his fight to Microsoft in hopes of preventing the company from releasing what he calls "bad code."

Andy Martin of The Committee to Fight Microsoft on Tuesday announced his intentions to block Microsoft from releasing its Windows Vista operating system. Martin intends to ask Microsoft for an unconditional warranty that the operating system is free of bugs that could result in security vulnerabilities.

"Bill Gates sells the public defective products, and then expects us to spend years being his guinea pigs, while he corrects the myriad of defects and vulnerabilities in his defective code. This is mass consumer fraud." Martin argued.

"It is unacceptable corporate behavior. Over four years after Windows XP was released I still receive regular 'updates' and 'bug fixes,' which reflect a product that was originally scandalously defective."

Windows 95 was a "disaster" and Windows 98 only created new vulnerabilities, Martin said. He argues that no company in America gets away with selling a "defective" product the way Microsoft does.

Also called into question were Microsoft's claims that Windows XP could run on 128MB of RAM, encouraging the sale of underpowered computers by its partners. "The Committee to Fight Microsoft is launching a legal action effort to bar such practice, in advance, for Windows Vista. Bill Gates, you are on notice," Martin said.

BetaNews had not received a response for comment on Martin's allegations as of press time.

Martin is a public interest lawyer from Chicago who has worked on several consumer rights cases, including antitrust lawsuits dealing with network television affliation agreements in 1969 and his own antitrust effort against Microsoft in 1998.

He announced an exploratory committee to run for the Republican gubernatorial nomination in Illinois in January of this year.

Source: BetaNews

OMG this guy is an idiot. A GUARANTEE that there are going to be no bugs in software? :blink: Good luck with that, I don't care what software you are talking about!

I think someone is craving the spotlight...

What's sad is that taxpayers are going to pay for this crap dearly, as he is a "public interest lawyer"... I guess that means that he gets the interest from the public, in this case anyway? :woot:

What a tool.

Maybe he should also take up his campaign with every other software manufacturer since many, many applications, games and operating systems are released with bugs and therefore need patching over time.

Yes, Microsoft are the largest software company in the world, but that's not to say they're the only one 'guilty' of it. It's the way it is and nothing can be done about it since it's impossible to make a bug-free application. I don't get what's so hard to understand about that.

I can see his point about there being bugs right from the start especially people have bought this (reasonably expensive software), however...... software can never be perfect and plus... making windows is a great achievement as its such a big project.

"It is unacceptable corporate behavior. Over four years after Windows XP was released I still receive regular 'updates' and 'bug fixes,' which reflect a product that was originally scandalously defective."

586351956[/snapback]

Wow, and Linux doesn't? :rolleyes: Stupid fanboys, when will they die

"Bill Gates sells the public defective products, and then expects us to spend years being his guinea pigs, while he corrects the myriad of defects and vulnerabilities in his defective code. This is mass consumer fraud." Martin argued.

Holy crap, I have said this for years. I don't think he will get a guarantee, but I would like to see a "good faith" release where MS fixes all the known bugs. XP shipped with over 10,000 know bugs in it. Imagine if you bought a car with only a fraction of know defects, lets say there only 20 known defects and 2 doors that they know do not lock. Would you not want to sue?

I know you sue for optimal and take a settlement, I vote for a "no know bugs" release.

I was running XP on 128mb :D i'm not now, but i was for over a year.

Yeah...the guys retarded, deserves no more of my time. byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :p

id like to see him create an operating system free of bugs. :hmmm:

586351974[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking. It's so unfortunate that people with so little common sense are afforded so much power sometimes.....

"The Committee to Fight Microsoft"

That part made me laugh. But this guy is an idiot. I'm guessing that he doesn't know a whole lot about computers.

This guy rocks. I hope he is successful. Bill Gates should give away the freakin OS . Greedysoft doesn't need any more $$.

586352008[/snapback]

Stupidist reply of the day goes to you :rolleyes:

This guy rocks. I hope he is successful. Bill Gates should give away the freakin OS . Greedysoft doesn't need any more $$.

586352008[/snapback]

Did you just forget to put [/sarcasm] or?.. :unsure:

Why do I see this as an aspiring political wanna-be wanting to cash in on the support of a bunch of Illinois bumpkins ****ed because they can't figger out where that con-nabbit 'anykey' is.

:rolleyes: