Google Posts New Total Size

If you asked me yesterday after Yahoo's total index size announcement (web, images, audio databases) what I would be posting today I would have said that Google would post a new total size to one or more of their databases. I would have been correct.

Google has now posted a new total image size count on the Google Images home page.

The new total listed is 2,187,212,422 up from 1,305,093,600. Yes, that's nearly double. In yesterday's announcement Yahoo said their image database currently contains 1.6 billion images.

Source

Thanx , www.thetechnews.net

gave it the Ferrari acid test.

Google image gave 491,000

Yahoo Images gave 628,197

If Google Images has more images then why does it always fail these comparisons for me.

Anyone else come up with some popular searches?

Quantity does not equal quality. Google could change it back to what it was before for all I care.

Regardless of how many more pages Yahoo claims to have in its database, I still find Google to give more accurate results to what I'm searching for than any other search engine that I've used and I've tried them all.

Have you tried yahoo images lately rainman?

I'm a huge Google fan and pretty much abandoned Yahoo years ago, but they have really improved it. I have to give credit where credit is due. I often find images there that Google's doesn't have, and they are just as useful.

Have you tried yahoo images lately rainman?

I'm a huge Google fan and pretty much abandoned Yahoo years ago, but they have really improved it. I have to give credit where credit is due. I often find images there that Google's doesn't have, and they are just as useful.

586359905[/snapback]

I didnt even know yahoo had image indexing like Google has

I'll try it for sure

As a a9.com fan, a9.com uses google image indexing and search anything else with many search engines..

I have had bad luck with Google Images too. Just not the right stuff comes up, I guess.

As for the regular Google search, what is totally annoying is that many of the items that come up are for commercial / retail sites instead of information.

For example, I type in something like BENQ 1620 REVIEW and I get dozens and dozens of web sites selling the thing, but hardly any actual review sites. Same with cars and appliances - stuff like that.

Sure wish there was a way to filter out online retail stuff. I don't want stuff from every Newegg wanna-be when all I really want is actual information.

You can either tell Google to discard certain keywords (for example, review) and discard certain 'sites or you could give CustomizeGoogle plugin for Firefox a try. I tried to use the filtering function of it and all it did was grey out and remove the link (the link text was still there) and remove the little 'snippit' Google gives you. It didn't actually remove all the text from the page.

I have had bad luck with Google Images too.  Just not the right stuff comes up, I guess.

As for the regular Google search, what is totally annoying is that many of the items that come up are for commercial / retail sites instead of information.

For example, I type in something like BENQ 1620 REVIEW and I get dozens and dozens of web sites selling the thing, but hardly any actual review sites.  Same with cars and appliances - stuff like that.

Sure wish there was a way to filter out online retail stuff.  I don't want stuff from every Newegg wanna-be when all I really want is actual information.

586361227[/snapback]

Gotta love Yahoo! Mindset for seperating shopping and research. :yes:

I was looking for pictures of construction of hotels in Jamaica yesterday night. I found that when I used Yahoo Image Search I found more relevant results (and more results in general) than Google provided. By a long shot.