Major Nelson blog Stormed with Angry Xbox users

After the price was announced the blog of Major Nelson was filled with angry Xbox users demanding that the harddrive should not be optional, but should be a standard just like Xbox so that developers can utilize the HD whenever they want instead of developing for the least common denominator (299$ Xbox)

Here is his updates:

from this:

More Photos from Germany

Posted: August 18, 2005 @ 10:00 am (14 hours, 44 minutes ago) By: Major Nelson

I am uploading more to Flickr as I write this. Also, I wanted to make a quick comment on some of the comments people have posted here. It?s kind of tough for me to respond since I am away from the office covering the game convention (and working) But I wanted to say that when I can put together a coherent response, I will do that. In the meantime, I AM reading the comments during breaks at the show here.

I met w/ some of the community sites here at the game convention?and these guys/girls are hard core..really hard core?and generally speaking they see the value you they are getting with the Xbox 360 system. It?s a helluva deal when you think of the raw power this unit has under the hood.

which resulted in 400+ angry comments , 99% of them negative towards the Xbox SKU plan

To This:

Leaving Germany today

Posted: August 18, 2005 @ 11:55 pm (49 minutes ago) By: Major Nelson

I am getting on a plane in about 2 hours to head back to Seattle. As such, I?ll be offline until very late Friday night. I have read your comments, I have read your concerns. I?ll do what I can to summerize them for the proper teams back in Redmond over the weekend (most of the teams area already aware of the concerns.) Again, happy to share your comments with the right folks, but personal attacks against each other don?t help anyone. Many of your comments are thoughtful, and well written; those are the ones that I can include in my summary. Remember folks, I don?t work in PR or Marketing and I am not aware of their plans. I am not a spokesperson for Xbox?I just one guy at Xbox who (pays for and) posts on this blog in my spare time. That said, I?ll always to what I can for the community. Thanks for your understanding.

On a lighter note, check out some of the Photo Stories I did for Xbox. com. Be sure to watch the ?Leipzig off the Wall? video for some funny images from the show.

http://www.majornelson.com

Major Nelson is the Xbox live tag for Larry Hybb (Xbox Live Marketing Head)

You know if they now made harddrive standard on $299 model. Everyone would be praising Microsoft and i think it would really benefit them. The whole factor of WOW... Microsoft listened to us and responded. This would then put a burden on PS3 to deliver and impress the crowds as well.

Will be interesting to see the outcome. Could be a planned marketting strategy.

I KNEW IT!!!

And, you people flamed me for it.

There is the A LOT of other people who agree with me!!!

Now you see?!!

Thanks for some reality check, OrangeSoul.

Other people do complain. NOT just me!!!

I KNEW IT!!!

And, you people flamed me for it.

There is the  A LOT of other people who agree with me!!!

Now you see?!!

Thanks for some reality check, OrangeSoul.

Other people do complain. NOT just me!!!

586400754[/snapback]

Nooooooooooooo not again :angry:

:laugh:

PLEASE. Read it!

I KNOW that no one like people complain, And I hate to be the one getting flamed for complain too much, BUT you can not be ignorant to WHY people are complaining.

There are some very legitmate (Reasonable, Mature) complaints there!!! Everything I've said, plus more, it's ALL there! Read it GOOD!!!

you should actually check gamespot, ign and teamxbox forums, thier as against the price SKU as anyone, thier complain is not 399 as price, they are saying just ditch the 299 so the hdd is standard

I say ditch one or the other. No-one will really support the HD if it's only in the highend model, which makes it near useless. I agree, ditch the 299 model.

No-one will really support the HD if it's only in the highend model, which makes it near useless.

586400900[/snapback]

Im glad that a few people are getting this into their heads. The $399 version is the standard. Thats what Dev's will keep in mind when creating games. All games will support the HD.

you should actually check gamespot, ign and teamxbox forums, thier as against the price SKU as anyone, thier complain is not 399 as price, they are saying just ditch the 299 so the hdd is standard

586400895[/snapback]

That's also my biggest concern too... I say get rid of $299 one too!

OR, offer a Xbox 360 Bareboned WITH HardDrive for a low price...

See what happens...

Im glad that a few people are getting this into their heads. The $399 version is the standard. Thats what Dev's will keep in mind when creating games. All games will support the HD.

586400917[/snapback]

That makes no sense.

First it's not like they can make an online game, like say Ghost Recon, have downloadable patches and content for the HD version and still have it playable between the non-HD capable version, it splinters the group.

I have no doubt that they could easily add support to use the drive for say a custom soundtrack if it's there, or maybe a large swapfile, image the game, or manage saves, but it's not going to get near the same support as it is now, if it's only in half the systems. I really don't think 100% of the developers will support something in 50% of the systems, and I know damn well they won't make a game that requires it if it's only in 50% of the systems, so basically it's going to be reduced to a 100 dollar novelty.

But it matters not to me, I'm banking on the Revolution, but I feel for you Xbox fans.

Microsoft need to fix this Pronto.

I ain't telling them to lower the price for $399, but if they want, I'd love it.

All I am asking is stop playing around with price games with us, Developer won't support HD and that's biggest problem now.

Price however YOU see fit, for the either ONE version, or two versions, but both MUST have HD!

JediXAngel... most people agree that the hard-drive should be default and that having a model without it would limit games and their expandability. However, you should go about complaining in a less sensationalist way - I agree completely with your concerns, but perhaps you could tone it down a bit?

Hopefully Microsoft will relent and make the hard-drive standard - this will bolster their online ability with downloadable content and please the fans, though some people won't be able to afford it. A better console with a longer life is better in the long run, even if it is slightly expensive to start with.

I don't think Microsoft has to "fix" anything. You guys haven't bought anything. If anyone is unhappy with the price, don't buy it.

Let me repeat that: If the price is too high, or the features or not to your liking, or if you are in any way dissatisfied with what's presented, don't buy it. Microsoft can sell the X-box to who it appeals to based on the price and features. Those who it doesn't appeal to are free to refrain from purchacing it.

I don't think Microsoft has to "fix" anything. You guys haven't bought anything. If anyone is unhappy with the price, don't buy it.

Let me repeat that: If the price is too high, or the features or not to your liking, or if you are in any way dissatisfied with what's presented, don't buy it. Microsoft can sell the X-box to who it appeals to based on the price and features. Those who it doesn't appeal to are free to refrain from purchacing it.

586401661[/snapback]

That's not the point... the point is that people want the console but this will drastically alter what it is able to provide. Simpler to complain now and hope to get it changed, than wait to release and either buy an inferior console or avoid it.

That's not the point... the point is that people want the console but this will drastically alter what it is able to provide. Simpler to complain now and hope to get it changed, than wait to release and either buy an inferior console or avoid it.

586401668[/snapback]

Right. In which case, people can buy a different product. But I don't understand how someone can complain and flame a company (not referring to you) about a product they don't own. I don't drive a Ferrari because they're too expensive. But I wouldn't complain to them about making the price too high.

its to late for them to back out into only a single version, they have already invested in the research to have to two models

the games are already in devolpment so there for they have already planned around not using a hd...

if they suddenly changed there mind games like PD0 and all the other launch titles would still not use the HD

Right. In which case, people can buy a different product. But I don't understand how someone can complain and flame a company (not referring to you) about a product they don't own. I don't drive a Ferrari because they're too expensive. But I wouldn't complain to them about making the price too high.

586401679[/snapback]

If this decision doesn't affect you, as it does many of us who are awaiting the launch of "our" new system, there is no need to comment. I was semi-neutral the day this was announced, but thinking more on the issue, and the massive storm of discontent it has created (both among users and developers), I am now firmly on the "MS needs to drop the $299 option" side. Hopefully this is not beyond repair, as one of the XBox people is right now reporting back to headquarters from abroad, and has reported in his Blog that he is going to see what can be done. The price is inconsequential (and frankly, not the issue in the least), the detrimental effect this could have on our games is not.

MS is playing games again (no pun intended), and have bluntly lied to everyone in this press release where they explicitly state there will be a hd that will, and I quote.. "come standard with every Xbox 360 system".

BTW, I would love to be able to buy a different system, which one do you reccomend I get that I can play Project Gotham 3, Oblivion, and Halo 3 on?

:huh: Who really cares its not like you'll need a 20gid harddrive if you just plan to paly games, just buy a hard dirve then if you can.

"come standard with every Xbox 360 system".

586402103[/snapback]

It does. It comes with every XBOX360 system. They didnt mention anything about the core package though. When they say XBOX360 system they are reffering to the retail xbox360 package ($399) not the core system.

It does. It comes with every XBOX360 system. They didnt mention anything about the core package though. When they say XBOX360 system they are reffering to the retail xbox360 package ($399) not the core system.

586402167[/snapback]

And that is the biggest load of BS I've read so far. According to you I guess the "core system" does not include an XBox 360 system, nor is it a "retail" package.

Who really cares its not like you'll need a 20gid harddrive if you just plan to paly games, just buy a hard dirve then if you can.

I care if it's going to cause the developers to cater to a lesser system, thereby not taking advantage of the advanced capabilities of the "standard" system.

Read these pages to see what the devs and analysts in the industry think about the situation, keeping in mind that it's hard for someone in their position to speak badly, since they don't particularly want to tick off MS. A snippet from one of the founders of Bethesda Software...

"So, listen up Microsoft - never disrespect your audience. We will understand if you tell us that you cannot match PS3 in price because of the different approach you have taken in order to achieve a better end result. But do NOT confuse the retail chain with a near worthless SKU and try to pull one over on your public for the right to play shell games with price when the PS3 is released next year.

That is a recipe for more bad word of mouth than any 'under $300' price will ever achieve in the hearts and minds of your customers. It takes fourteen positive impressions to register ?awareness? with a consumer. It takes but one negative impression to wipe it out. I figure with your initial leap of faith added to this latest stupid pet trick, you?re just about even?"

I pray to whatever dieties will listen, that Bethesda stick a 'Hard Drive Required" sticker on their game.

Edited by Treefrog