Google Instant Messenger? $100 Laptop?

Buried in this NYT story by John Markoff, which touched on Google Sidebar launch (covered in the post below): it plans to unveil on Wednesday a "communications tool" that is potentially a clear step beyond the company's search-related business focus.

While executives would not disclose what the new software tool might be, Google has long been expected to introduce an IM service to compete with services offered by AOL, Yahoo and MSN. Last year some rumors arose that Google's IM platform and client would be based on the open source Jabber protocol.

And then, Markoff raises his pet speculation: a Google phone, based on the acquisition of Android and a Google-branded smart phone has long been a pet project of founder Larry Page, and earlier this year Google invested $2 million in a project by Nicholas Negroponte, founder of the M.I.T. Media Laboratory, to develop a $100 wireless laptop.

Google IM

Google Phone

Google Laptop

:wacko:

http://www.paidcontent.org/pc/arch/2005_08_22.shtml#015451

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/22/technology/22google.html

Google is starting to turn into the next MS

586416100[/snapback]

Which would be a great thing for customers, just in case they also ever decide to make their own OS, then it means more choices for the consumer. Also we would have another company competing to make consumer computing all around better. Let's see what google decides to bring out for us now....

competition with MS is great. i mean look at how many new and innovative (albeit similar) features MS, Google and Yahoo have come out with since google started becoming really popular. the more pressure google puts on MS, the more MS has to do to stay competitive, and the more it'll do for free :)

I would definatley use Google IM

586416134[/snapback]

Why??? You already know it's that good. And besides, it a messanger, it's only usefull if other people use it. Otherwise you're just an island.

Why??? You already know it's that good. And besides, it a messanger, it's only usefull if other people use it. Otherwise you're just an island.

586416184[/snapback]

I guess i am what you would call a Google FanBoy?

586416184[/snapback]

tons of people jumped on the gmail bandwagon, and you know what, google's instant messenger might just use those addresses/names and it'll be easier, already a user base. you never know. that's why. people used gmail as soon as they could, what makes you think people wont use google's instant messenger like that?

// Lou

tons of people jumped on the gmail bandwagon, and you know what, google's instant messenger might just use those addresses/names and it'll be easier, already a user base.  you never know.  that's why. people used gmail as soon as they could, what makes you think people wont use google's instant messenger like that?

// Lou

586416453[/snapback]

It's called the 'network effect' Some technologies are only usefull when a certain critical mass is using it. GMail is still e-mail, and there were already billions of users using it - there was already and critical mass. A Google IM system will need to have a critical mass first before it can be successfull. Without any other users to chat with it is completelu useless.