Why is ObjectDock legal but Y'z Dock is not?

I'm not exactly sure but I think that Apple had some legal battles specifically with Y'z Dock. I don't think that Apple has had similar legal interactions with the ObjectDock people. I don't really know why not, but for some reason I think Apple just targetted Y'z Dock more.

Truth is, ObjectDock might not be legal. The idea was that Y'z Dock was done by one man who wouldn't have been able to afford a legal battle. If you want to call it such, it was cleaning out the "riff raff". Though no one can really say Stardock isn't giving Apple a little money on the side or anything like that.

what about rklauncher... im supprised apple or stardock isnt going after it because not only does it rip off apple in consept and design it is using docklets designed for objectdock... not that i mind rklauncher is an excallant program

I believe it was because that Y'z dock was getting TOO good and too much like the real dock, where-as there are still many differences and limitations in Stardock's.

Though I could be wrong.

Y's Dock contained ripped OSX graphics, ObjectDock does not... Y's got threatening e-mail and peed his pants, that's it.

Stardock is a huge corporation now and buisness is blooming, they can afford lawyers.

I hate it when people say Y's dock is more advanced or anything like that! ObjectDock plus is FAR more advanced than that Y's crap and both ObjectDock and plus version have far less performance/stability issues than Y's dock.

Y's Dock contained ripped OSX graphics, ObjectDock does not... Y's got threatening e-mail and peed his pants, that's it.

Stardock is a huge corporation now and buisness is blooming, they can afford lawyers.

I hate it when people say Y's dock is more advanced or anything like that! ObjectDock plus is FAR more advanced than that Y's crap and both ObjectDock and plus version have far less performance/stability issues than Y's dock.

indeed

right, yz emulated the os x dock very very very well. objectdock is a great program but in terms of mimicking the os x dock, it sucks balls. i am surprised that rklauncher is still around, it is very good at it too, plus more stable and such. but i think the difference is that it isnt made for mimicking the dock in os x, it is made for having a dock. yz was more geared to be an os x dock port almost or copy. also back then, the dock was somewhat new to everyone, it was part of mac os x which was also somewhat new. apple wanted to protect that because it was new. now that we are in tiger and its years later, os x is still advanced and a new os but not fresh on the market, apple isnt quite as concerned about protecting its features from mimics. i think if yzdock was made today, it wouldnt have had the issues that it encountered then.

i dont see y anyone hasnt made a dock just like YZDock, im sure it'll take a days work. Oh and Aqua Dock is a rip of YZDock and i know who did it too :-)

That's not the genie effect.

586444193[/snapback]

The genie effect is when you minimize windows it takes the window and compresses it and sucks it in the dock... Someone correct me if i'm wrong...

The genie effect is when you minimize windows it takes the window and compresses it and sucks it in the dock... Someone correct me if i'm wrong...

586444218[/snapback]

PS: Here is a snapshot of the Genie Effect. post-120103-1125250235.jpg

Yep, thats what I meant... :pinch:

Dose any dock have the genie effect?

he probably stopped cos Apple probably gave him a cool mac - id do the same

586444200[/snapback]

:D

For a 2.7GHz PowerMac and a 30" Cinema Display, I'd stop drinking. For a month.

Alright, only a week.

PS: Here is a snapshot of the Genie Effect.

post-120103-1125250235.jpg

As for which one emulates the Mac dock effect better, it really depends on your machine. I've tried Y'z Dock, and its performance sucked compared to ObjectDock. And NO, Mac didn't go specifically after Y'z Dock because it was so much "better" at emulating the dock effect. Seriously, that's just a load of crap.

The biggest reason is that Stardock is a company with money, and Yamaguchi was an individual. Apple didn't want a legal battle, they just wanted to scare Y out of development, and it worked.

Another reason is that ObjectDock is so much more than the Mac dock. Yes, ObjectDock CAN successfully emulate the Mac dock, but the default settings don't make it look or feel like the Mac dock at all. You have to tweak the settings to emulate a Mac feel. Also, with the Plus version there's the whole tabbed interface.

Basically, Stardock made a program launcher that could potentially emulate the Mac dock if the user wanted to, or could look and feel like something totally different.

Y'z Dock was a direct ripoff program made specifically to emulate the Mac dock.

Yep, thats what I meant...  :pinch:

Dose any dock have the genie effect?

586444228[/snapback]

you have to hold down the shift key for it be hella slow. :D