Resident Evil 5

Did anybody hear about the bull#@$% Capcom is pullin'? Resident evil 5 will be released on PS3 and XBox 360 not on nintendo revolution. Why the hell would XBox even get a version of RE? they've never had a RE game yet why start now?

Did anybody hear about the bull#@$% Capcom is pullin'? Resident evil 5 will be released on PS3 and XBox 360 not on nintendo revolution. Why the hell would XBox even get a version of RE? they've never had a RE game yet why start now?

586493397[/snapback]

Nono. Capcom said that the game wouldn't be Nintendo exclusive. Nothing else.

This is really old news (sorry it had to be said :))... It may be announced for the revolution once nintendo's NDAs are up, and/or if the revolution turns out to be a technically viable platform to port it to in both a power and controller sense. Capcom made a pretty big deal out of the graphics and HD support in there presentation of the game so hopefully the revolution will be up to the challenge and generate enough public interest to make a port for the console financially viable for capcom to consider.

There are already two games that were announced for all three nextgen platforms so I assume if the Revolution can run a PS3\Xbox360 game it shouldn't have a problem running Resident Evil 5. I guess it just won't be in HD.

It has yet to be seen what the sales of Resident Evil 4 will be on PS2, but Capcom could pull a Namco (i.e. Soul Calibur III) and not make the game for the system its prior game sold the best on, which is really messed up. Then again, Capcom and Nintendo may not have the best relationship after Capcom broke the agreement and Resident Evil 4 and I think Killer 7 were no longer GameCube exclusives. So the game may not even be developed at all for the Revolution. The NDA theory is a very valid theory too.

Edited by jmole

So anybody gonna turn on nintendo to get RE 5 because if it is only going to be on PS3 and XB 360 i'm gonna get a PS3

586493494[/snapback]

Nintendo intentionally gimped themselves and will NEVER again have the "mature" gamers market. Their developers are realizing this and are FORCED to release the titles for other systems because quite simply they want to make money and nintendo does not give them the exposure they need

Nintendo intentionally gimped themselves and will NEVER again have the "mature" gamers market.  Their developers are realizing this and are FORCED to release the titles for other systems because quite simply they want to make money and nintendo does not give them the exposure they need

586495467[/snapback]

:yes:

as much as i want resident evil 5 on revolution, i was planning on getting it on xbox 360 anyway, although this is old new. i think i remember reading this in gameinformer, i forget which month though.

Nintendo intentionally gimped themselves and will NEVER again have the "mature" gamers market.  Their developers are realizing this and are FORCED to release the titles for other systems because quite simply they want to make money and nintendo does not give them the exposure they need

586495467[/snapback]

Why does Nintendo need to limit their focus on older male gamers?

Not that it matters, but if you don't think Nintendo has any mature games for their current gen systems you must be blind or ignorant: Link

Edited by jmole

Not that it matters, but if you don't think Nintendo has any mature games for their current gen systems you must be blind or ignorant: Link

586497357[/snapback]

I think the issue is that Nintendo has hardly any exclusive games geared towards mature gamers. Let's look at that list you posted. I copied and pasted all the ones that are Nintendo "exclusive" below.

Geist (GC)

Grand Theft Auto Advance (GBA)

Payback (GBA)

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (GC)

Serious Sam Advance (GBA)

Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition (GBA)

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GBA)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Die Hard: Vendetta (GC)

Resident Evil (GC)

Dual Blades (GBA)

Wolfenstein 3D (GBA)

Mortal Kombat Advance (GBA)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, M-rated GBA games, let's face it, really don't count. I mean, really, it's just a bunch of pixelated sprites with some red sprinkled in. Besides, nearly all the ones listed are on other platforms anyway. Let's get rid of those, leaving the following list.

Geist (GC)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Resident Evil (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, again, these are, technically "exclusives," but MGS and RE were both released on the Playstation. Let's get rid of those.

Geist (GC)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, let's get rid of the games that, although these specific ones are exclusive, the series as a whole isn't.

Geist (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Two games. That's it. Looks to me like it's game, set, and match. Need I say more?

EDIT: That's not to say that the GC or GBA are bad systems. But, if you're looking for mature games, Nintendo is obviously not the way to go.

I think the issue is that Nintendo has hardly any exclusive games geared towards mature gamers. Let's look at that list you posted. I copied and pasted all the ones that are Nintendo "exclusive" below.

Geist (GC)

Grand Theft Auto Advance (GBA)

Payback (GBA)

Serious Sam Advance (GBA)

Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition (GBA)

Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (GBA)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Resident Evil (GC)

Dual Blades (GBA)

Wolfenstein 3D (GBA)

Mortal Kombat Advance (GBA)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, M-rated GBA games, let's face it, really don't count. I mean, really, it's just a bunch of pixelated sprites with some red sprinkled in. Besides, nearly all the ones listed are on other platforms anyway. Let's get rid of those, leaving the following list.

Geist (GC)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Resident Evil (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, again, these are, technically "exclusives," but MGS and RE were both released on the Playstation. Let's get rid of those.

Geist (GC)

Resident Evil Zero (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Now, let's get rid of the games that, although these specific ones are exclusive, the series as a whole isn't.

Geist (GC)

Eternal Darkness (GC)

Two games. That's it. Looks to me like it's game, set, and match. Need I say more?

EDIT: That's not to say that the GC or GBA are bad systems. But, if you're looking for mature games, Nintendo is obviously not the way to go.

586512663[/snapback]

The statement was made that Nintendo had gimped themselves from not having any mature games on their system, not them publishing or developing exclusive mature games. You can't just filter out mature games based off exclusitivity or not or based on your preference of what should be considered violent. In that case we shouldn't consider Doom I+II, Quake, Heretic, and Wolf3D mature games because they are just made up of pixeled sprites and sprinkled with red pixels for blood. Their systems had mature games period, if you don't think they did then you just don't know what their systems have.

It's not like they need the mature market or pump out mature rated games. The majority of mature games are just plain crap and if a game is excellent I don't care what the rating of the game is. Sticking a mature label on a game is not going to make a game better or sell any better. Since Nintendo sells millions of the "E" and "T" rated games I don't see why they have to change that anytime soon for the retards who think every game needs to be violent.

Edited by jmole

586497357[/snapback]

I'm neither blind, nor ignorant. their paltry offering of "mature" titles for the Gamecube is really not expanding much with the revolution

Why does nintento need to limit their focus on older male gamers you ask? Could it possibly be because thats where the money is? Of course they don't "have" to limit it...obviously they haven't which directly correlates to their abysmal sales compared to MS/Sony

If not for the GBA and DS Nintendo as a company would be fiscally dead right now and you wouldn't hear anything more out of them

Nintendo themselves has stated they aren't after the "mature" market...which is why their game and system sales lag far behind everyone else.

When the N64 shipped out is around the same time violence in games began to get more "indepth", it was at this point that Nintendo decided they did not want to highly cater to that market of gamers and they wanted to focus on the kid/youth market

The amount of money to be made in the kid/youth market for video games is PALTRY compared to the "mature" market. If you believe otherwise I suggest looking up some sales figures

Go look at some demographics on the ages/play habits/spending habits of most gamers and you will quickly realize the market right now to be dominated is the 17-26yr olds. Nintendo lost all touch they had with this demographic of players quite some time ago.

Am I saying that all games have to be mature and violent? No.

Am I saying that all a game rated "M" will directly have a better sales ratio then a game rated "E/T" No

What I am saying is that Nintendo catered to the opposite end of the spectrum which in turn has caused them to no longer have any foothold whatsoever in the other end of the spectrum.

Nintendo strives to be different. Different is not always good in the world of marketing/sales

Nintendo has 2 choices. Change and try and attract the mature market back, or give up on consoles and stick with being the king of portables.

Edited by Qumahlin

Why does nintento need to limit their focus on older male gamers you ask?  Could it possibly be because thats where the money is?  Of course they don't "have" to limit it...obviously they haven't which directly correlates to their abysmal sales compared to MS/Sony

Sales doesn't mean anything if they are not making a profit. Also MS sales of the Xbox were comparable to the GameCube, from the sales figures at the end of 2004 MS only sold a million more. In terms of sales Sony blew both Nintendo and MS out of the water, but in terms of profit Nintendo outdid them both.

If not for the GBA and DS Nintendo as a company would be fiscally dead right now and you wouldn't hear anything more out of them

Nintendo makes most of its money from software, not hardware. By no means would it be fiscally dead if it did not have the GBA or DS. Nintendo's published games almost always sell extremely well for both its handhelds and consoles, yes even GameCube games. It also owns the rights to many franchises such as Pokemon, which makes them a crapload of money. They also has billions in the bank to fall back. So by no means would they be dead.

The amount of money to be made in the kid/youth market for video games is PALTRY compared to the "mature" market.  If you believe otherwise I suggest looking up some sales figures

Go look at some demographics on the ages/play habits/spending habits of most gamers and you will quickly realize the market right now to be dominated is the 17-26yr olds.  Nintendo lost all touch they had with this demographic of players quite some time ago.

Look at the sales of games that do not focus on the mature group like the Sims or Nintendodogs. The Sims is the best selling PC game of all time and Nintendodogs is the best selling handhald game upon launch. Even the Mario Brothers franchise which is targeted at everyone has sold the most games ever. Nintendo's other franchises are probably well up there in total sales and those games are targeted for everyone, not just kids and youth like you seem to think. Looking at the entire world population there is a bigger market out there that can be tapped. I'm not questioning the fact that 17-26 old males by the most games now. If Sony and MS are content on duking it out for 17-26 year old males why not let them have it and let Nintendo go for everyone else?
Nintendo has 2 choices. Change and try and attract the mature market back, or give up on consoles and stick with being the king of portables.
They make a profit with consoles, getting out of the console business is highly illogical. I can see their business analysts now "Yea we're making more of a profit with our 10% market share compared to Sony and Microsoft who have 90%, I suggest we get out." It's about as logical as Apple getting out of the PC market because Dell, HP, etc. account for the majority of PC sales. Edited by jmole

The statement was made that Nintendo had gimped themselves from not having any mature games on their system, not them publishing or developing exclusive mature games.  You can't just filter out mature games based off exclusitivity or not or based on your preference of what should be considered violent.  In that case we shouldn't consider Doom I+II, Quake, Heretic, and Wolf3D mature games because they are just made up of pixeled sprites and sprinkled with red pixels for blood.  Their systems had mature games period, if you don't think they did then you just don't know what their systems have.

I wouldn't consider those games mature games. If they were released today, I'd give 'em a Teen rating because the level of realism needs to be taken into account when rating a game. Something with more detailed graphics and depictions of violence, such as GTA:SA should be rated M, but those older games shouldn't, IMHO.

It's not like they need the mature market or pump out mature rated games.  The majority of mature games are just plain crap and if a game is excellent I don't care what the rating of the game is.  Sticking a mature label on a game is not going to make a game better or sell any better.  Since Nintendo sells millions of the "E" and "T" rated games I don't see why they have to change that anytime soon for the retards who think every game needs to be violent.

I agree, and if they can sell enough E and T games to turn a profit and stay viable as a company, then that's great. I mean, I love Super Smash Brothers and Mario Tennis as much as the next guy, but you can't honestly say that the 18-24 market is the target demographic for these games. I just believe that Nintendo needs to do a better job of securing exclusives targeted towards older audiences. RE4 was a step in the right direction, but, assuming I understood what happened correctly, the lack of a mature market on the GC forced Capcom to release the game for the PS2 as well in order to make money. If Nintendo had secured RE4, as well as a number of other good, exclusive titles aimed towards a mature audience, then I sincerely doubt that we'd ever be seeing RE4 on the PS2 because the audience on the GC would have been sufficient enough for Capcom to not have to release the game on another console to make money.

I agree, and if they can sell enough E and T games to turn a profit and stay viable as a company, then that's great. I mean, I love Super Smash Brothers and Mario Tennis as much as the next guy, but you can't honestly say that the 18-24 market is the target demographic for these games.
The target is everyone. Young or old, big or small, skinny or fat, it doesn't matter. Just becuase a product has an "E" rating doesn't mean it has been targeted for little kids, it just means you don't have some cop killing, car stealing, hooker beating game. Visit other gaming forums (Penny Arcade, Gaming Age, etc.) or read Slashdot when they mention Nintendo, any place besides Neowin's console forums, and you will see people are buying and playing games Nintendo developes despite the fact that they are not in the supposed age range of certain games. I am taking a guess at this, but it seems like the majority of people who form Nintendo's core group of consumers, that always buy their consoles\handhelds are older 18+ people, the same people who grew up in the NES era. Yet these people despite their age are still buying the games deemed as "colorful and kiddy". It's a shame that some people have negatively biased opinons towards them based on the stereotype because they have some of the best games this console generation that are not "M" or "AO" rated.
I just believe that Nintendo needs to do a better job of securing exclusives targeted towards older audiences. RE4 was a step in the right direction, but, assuming I understood what happened correctly, the lack of a mature market on the GC forced Capcom to release the game for the PS2 as well in order to make money. If Nintendo had secured RE4, as well as a number of other good, exclusive titles aimed towards a mature audience, then I sincerely doubt that we'd ever be seeing RE4 on the PS2 because the audience on the GC would have been sufficient enough for Capcom to not have to release the game on another console to make money.
You are probably most certainly correct. I have no ideal what kind of agreement was made between Nintendo and Capcom, but from what I understand from news sites, Capcom wanted to make more money with the game. It would kind of hard for Capcom not to resist when there are 90 million PS2s out there and perhaps Nintendo was not willing to fork over the amount of cash that would justify to have it on their system alone. Hell if I was that company's president I wouldn't released it on one system either, unless that company was willing to fork over a ton of cash to make up for the cash I would be loosing if I didn't release it multiplatform. Edited by jmole

The target is everyone.  Young or old, big or small, skinny or fat, it doesn't matter.  Just becuase a product has an "E" rating doesn't mean it has been targeted for little kids, it just means you don't have some cop killing, car stealing, hooker beating game.  Visit other gaming forums (Penny Arcade, Gaming Age, etc.) or read Slashdot when they mention Nintendo, any place besides Neowin's console forums, and you will see people are buying and playing games Nintendo developes despite the fact that they are not in the supposed age range of certain games.  I am taking a guess at this, but it seems like the majority of people who form Nintendo's core group of consumers, that always buy their consoles\handhelds are older  18+ people, the same people who grew up in the NES era.  Yet these people despite their age are still buying the games deemed as "colorful and kiddy".  It's a shame that some people have negatively biased opinons towards them based on the stereotype because they have some of the best games this console generation that are not "M" or "AO" rated.

I, generally speaking, agree with that. I mean, I grew up with the NES, and, up until recently, have enjoyed Nintendo's first-party games. I mean, SSB:M is my favorite party game, by far. I guess what I'm worried about are games such as Nintendogs, which honestly seem to appeal to younger crowds rather than "everybody," as with SSB:M and the like. In my opinion, Nintendogs is just a glorified Tamagotchi and holds absolutely no entertainment value for me. I guess my overall view is that if Nintendo is going to stay squarely with the E and T rated games that they need to make sure that they really are for "everybody," as they did with SSB:M, Mario Tennis, and such, and not just for the younger crowd, as with Nintendogs.

Another problem added to this is that Nintendo seems to be the only company that can really get it right when making colorful, playful games that can appeal to gamers of all ages. Let's face it, Nintendo is just one company and only has so many resources. Most, if not all, of the third-party efforts (rated E or T) released on the GC are targeted squarely for the younger crowd, leaving Nintendo to pick up the slack. If Nintendo releases a true "everybody" game once every 6 months, and there are third-party T or M releases sprinkled in between, largely due to the Capcom-effect; that being, that they'll go to where the money is - Xbox or PS2, rather than the GC, then it's going to be hard for Nintendo to hold onto the older crowd of gamers.

You sorta see what I'm getting at?

Another problem added to this is that Nintendo seems to be the only company that can really get it right when making colorful, playful games that can appeal to gamers of all ages. Let's face it, Nintendo is just one company and only has so many resources. Most, if not all, of the third-party efforts (rated E or T) released on the GC are targeted squarely for the younger crowd, leaving Nintendo to pick up the slack. If Nintendo releases a true "everybody" game once every 6 months, and there are third-party T or M releases sprinkled in between, largely due to the Capcom-effect; that being, that they'll go to where the money is - Xbox or PS2, rather than the GC, then it's going to be hard for Nintendo to hold onto the older crowd of gamers.

You sorta see what I'm getting at?

586515786[/snapback]

I suppose, but I see it the other way around. Well for myself the majority of my third party games for the GameCube are teen and mature rated. I think third party support is essential, but I don't think those third party games all need to be mature. In fact, I also completely forgot about this:

Entertainment Software Association(ESA)

TOP 10 INDUSTRY FACTS

1.  U.S. computer and video game software sales grew four percent in 2004 to $7.3 billion -- a more than doubling of industry software sales since 1996.

2.  Seventy-five percent of American heads of households play computer and video games.

3.  In 2004, more than 248 million computer and video games were sold, almost two games for every household in America.

4.  The average game player is 30 years old and has been playing games for 9.5 years.

5.  The average game buyer is 37 years old.  In 2005, 95 percent of computer game buyers and 84 percent of console game buyers were over the age of 18.

6.  Eighty-three percent of all games sold in 2004 were rated "E" for Everyone or "T" for Teen.  For more information on ratings, please see www.esrb.org.

7.  Eighty-seven percent of game players under the age of 18 report that they get their parents? permission when renting or buying games, and 92 percent say their parents are present when they buy games.

8.  Forty-three percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a greater portion of the game-playing population (28 percent) than boys from ages 6 to 17 (21 percent).

9.  In 2004, 19 percent of Americans over the age of 50 played video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.

10.  Forty-two percent of game players say they play games online one or more hours per week. In addition, 34 percent of heads of households play games on a wireless device, such as a cell phone or PDA, up from 20 percent in 2002.

I suppose, but I see it the other way around.  Well for myself the majority of my third party games for the GameCube are teen and mature rated.  I think third party support is essential, but I don't think those third party games all need to be mature.

586515844[/snapback]

Nah, they don't all have to be, I just think that there needs to be some amount of games, preferably exclusive, to tide over older gamers until the next big Nintendo release comes out. It really just boils down to whether you want to play a few mature games and a few Nintendo games (GC) or whether you want to play a lot of mature games (Xbox and PS2). For me, I want to play a lot of mature games and a few Nintendo games, which is why I own all three (*grin*), but for a lot of older gamers who have other expenses (rent, taxes, schooling, etc), that's not an option, and if the number of mature games on the GC starts dwindling (Capcom-effect), then they might jump ship to another console.

As for the statistic you posted, it's very interesting, but not wholly surprising. I think it'd be better to break that down into age groups of the buyers or intended recipients. I'd say a good 50%-60% of that 80~% is from parents buying games for their children.

I gotta say, this has got to be the most mature discussion regarding various points of view concerning Nintendo's position in today's gaming industry that I've ever seen. :)