Ubuntu Hype?

Man I wish this thread would die. Or maybe it should have its own section on Neowin? Maybe it could be called the 'I love Ubuntu thread and am a total sucker for any type of hype?'

We all get that a lot of people are impressed by Mark Shuttleworth and the zillions of dollars he has to throw around.

But enough already please! This thread is serving no real purpose at all anymore. If you want to report that your CDs arrived, or you are still waiting on them, or how much you love Ubuntu or whatever, why not do it on the Ubuntu forums?

I'm sure there will be lots of very interested people there.

Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with doing what we do best - which is helping Linux (including Ubuntu) users that have genuine problems.

GJ

Edited by markjensen

Man I wish this thread would die. Or maybe it should have its own section on Neowin? Maybe it could be called the 'I love Ubuntu thread and am a total sucker for any type of hype?'

We all get that a lot of people are impressed by Mark Shuttleworth and the zillions of dollars he has to throw around.

But enough already please! This thread is serving no real purpose at all anymore. If you want to report that your CDs arrived, or you are still waiting on them, or how much you love Ubuntu or whatever, why not do it on the Ubuntu forums?

I'm sure there will be lots of very interested people there.

Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with doing what we do best - which is helping Linux (including Ubuntu) users that have genuine problems.

GJ

586521169[/snapback]

I hate that also, when this thread pops up i hate that i always click it and see it, I DONT WANT TO SEE IT ANYMORE stop forcing people like me and raid517 into coming into this thread when we dont want to, i hate it, hate it hate it hate it hate it.

:pinch:

dont like the thread raid517 then dont click it. Going in the thread and saying out you hate it just brings it back on the main page, kinda defeating your "let it die" stance.

It's not the thread I hate - it's all the dumb pointless hype. Who cares however long you have waited to get your CD's - or that you love or hate Ubuntu? Why is it still interesting after literally hundreds of people have said the same thing?

Indeed I would seriously question what, if anything this really has to do with this section.

If you love Ubuntu, why not set up an Ubuntu apprecation society somewhere, where people can talk about how long they have waited for their CDs as much as they want and for as long as they want?

From what I can see of the Ubuntu forums, half the posts made there are like thiat anyway.

GJ

LOL

Poor raid...

He gets to read "I :heart: Ubuntu" here in Neowin, and again when he visits the Ubuntu forums. :rofl:

Man that's it I'm officially taking bets on how long this thread will last! I'm betting another 3 months. It's already broken quite a few records for this section - not least among them being the single most annoying and pointless thread ever. If I could take a knife and stab it to death I would.

Anyway my view is that a lot of people who order 100's of CDs at a time often do so for greed - and because they can't get over the fact that they can get something for free. (Even if it is essentially worthless).

But anyway go on, how many zillions of other people have ordered CDs and have/or haven't got them yet?

I'm sure that we are all utterly desperate to know.

GJ

Erm, right we have all gathered that this thread obviously bothers you in a serious way in which case please stop posting in it.

I, personally, am much more interested in reading about how much people love Ubuntu, than I am reading about how much you dislike reading these posts :)

Well it strikes me that if you feel you are entitled to go on endlessly about a specific OS - I am also perfectly entitled to comment on how much I hate people who get caught up in silly rabid cosumerist hype - particularly when discussing a 'product' that is in no way better to many others that are out there.

Like I said it isn't just this thread that bothers me - it's the whole hysteria surrounding Ubuntu that bugs me. It is almost like it is turning into a cult. Personally I moved to Linux to get away from the hype - which is why I wouldn't care if it and all the n00bs who seem to flock to it, were to somehow vanish overnight.

In any case as I said, I think we all get the picture already, you and your many clones are a devotee of the Shuttleworth 'humanism' movement and love your innanimate Ubuntu CDs more than life itself - so much so indeed that you even find the trivial fact that it takes some time for the postal service to deliver these CDs from Africa (or wherever) to various locations around the world to be somehow endlessly facinating.

I trust however that you will forgive me if I don't.

GJ

You obviously have some beef with Mark Shuttleworth in which case I suggest you talk to him, rather than harrass people who like Ubuntu.

You moved to Linux to get away from the hype of.... what exactly?

Marketing hype - which is what Ubuntu is all about.

I love/ed Linux for it's obscurity. Indeed that was and is part of the attraction for me. I am one of those odd people who don't want Linux to become any more popular - or for the Linux community to become overstocked with n00bs who don't have a clue what they are doing. That just reminds me too much of the world of Windows for my liking.

Mark you dissapoint me :) I was hoping the thread might disintergrate into a flamewar - which might just get it closed. :laugh: :laugh:

Oh well no such luck.

GJ

Edited by raid517

Marketing hype - which is what Ubuntu is all about.

I love/ed Linux for it's obscurity. Indeed that was and is part of the attraction for me. I am one of those odd people who don't want Linux to become any more popular - or for the Linux community to become overstocked with n00bs who don't have a clue what they are doing. That just reminds me too much of the world of Windows for my liking.

Mark you dissapoint me :) I was hoping the thread might disintergrate into a flamewar - which might get it closed.  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh well no such luck.

GJ

586524903[/snapback]

You don't want to see the linux community overstocked by Noobs (of which you used to be one). Does this make you a Linux Zealot? If so, i'll be over with the gun a.s.a.p.

(for those that haven't yet, read his sig - penultimate line)

I sense an anti linux distro bribery from a rival open source OS!

Ubuntu is one of the best distros, and Mark Shuttleworth is a great guy, I dont see other distro companies shipping free cds out to you!

If you dont like the thread then dont read it!

Not quite my dear. A real zealot wouldn't use Windows either. But I do. (I am an OS nut who likes all OS'). As for being a noob - maybe 20 years ago you could have said that. But not now. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum - so go figure how long that means I have been using computers.

Sometimes it feels like I actually was born with a keyboard in my hand.

GJ

I don't like Mark Shuttleworth because he isn't a team player. Frequent attempts have been made to bring him into the fold of the wider Linux community - all of which he has rejected.

And if anyone is into 'bribery' or not providing a level playing field, it is Mr Shuttleworth and not me. I think if every distro had the billions to throw around that Mr Shuttleworth does, then yes maybe things would be a little fairer and other distros would get a look in.

But if he was really interested in promoting Linux and not just in 'winning the game' - then there are lot's of ways that he could contribute - by for example pumping some of that cold hard cash he spends on free CDs into helping a lot of OSS projects to continue to improve.

As for wishing to promte a rival OS, I run a very small distribution with only perhaps a few hundred users. It is in most senses really quite obscure. So obscure in fact that I'm not even going to tell you what it is.

Like I said obscutity is and always was the real attraction for me.

GJ

Not quite my dear. A real zealot wouldn't use Windows either. But I do. (I am an OS nut who likes all OS'). As for being a noob - maybe 20 years ago you could have said that. But not now. My first computer was a ZX Spectrum - so go figure how long that means I have been using computers.

Sometimes it feels like I actually was born with a keyboard in my hand.

GJ

586524949[/snapback]

I wasn't implying you to be a noob now, but when you moved to linux you were a linux noob. Just like the ones you don't want now.

My first computer was a ZX81, so go figure how long I have been using computers :D

OK, so you are not a linux zealot, just an OS zealot :p

No, Like my sig says I'm an anti hype anti fanboy zealot. It's OK to be a noob - but there are n00bs and there are n00bs. those who jump on a bandwaggon just because something is currently popular and then dissappear 5 minues later - and then those who like me who were always genuinely interested in learning - and who were willing to invest the often considerable effort in doing to.

I liked linux for the anti-commercial, anti-marketing, anti-corporate ideology that it had (or has), but when you have a million lemmings all throwing themselves at one small part of that community all of a sudden, it just looses some of it's attractiveness for me.

You have to understand too the distorted picture that Ubuntu gives. If a rock band stated giving away billions of free CDs, there is a good chance (if they were any good) that they would quickly become popular too. If Mr Shuttleworth hadn't spent millions promoting ubuntu this way, there is no way he would have risen to the top of the distribution charts so quickly.

As I said it seems to me that Mr Shuttleworth is just too used to winning - and that this is all that eally interests him, rather than making any genuine contribution to the community.

GJ

I am a Mod over at the much hyped Ubuntu Forum

I just wanted to apologise to raid517 for our distribution . We really didn't mean to cause you so much grief . :p

If you like so show that we do love you I could send you some Ubuntu CD's or may be 20 .

OK I am messing with ya .

I know what you mean , but hey maybe folks are just so happy happy happy when they can get a distibution to run as easily as this one thatthe must do a web impersonation of Julie Andrews and fill the hills with the sound of music and sing its praises :)

Ubuntu, Linspire... take your pick. There are plenty of distros hyped these days.

My reaction to all of this is that if these distros help usher newbies into the Linux fold, and the results are positive, then that is one more satisfied customer. Once these newbies get into these distros, they might tempt the waters of more mainstream Linux distros.

Barney