Google launches free WiFi service

Seems like they're everywhere these days...

Google has confirmed that it has launched a free WiFi service, a move that could cut more ground from underneath the telecoms industry, according to analysts.

The search engine said that the move is part of a Google engineers' "20 percent time project." Google encourages its engineers to spend 20 percent of their work time developing independent projects. Several of Google's products have grown out of such projects, including Google News and its AdSense advertising programme. The company has also developed a product called "Google Secure Access," to provide security for people using its WiFi service. Google has not disclosed its broader plans for the technology.

Google has the capacity to build a global WiFi network, since it has huge reserves of cash and has been buying unused fibre-optic network capacity, which was left over from the telecom slump earlier this decade. The cost of the hotspots would be paid for by advertising revenues.

"You can see how it makes sense, others have thought about ad-supported WiFi, but Google has the clout, they already have the ability to do locally specific hotspot ads," Jeremy Green, principal analyst at Ovum told ElectricNews.net. "Offering WiFi for free may make more sense than charging for it."

Currently the service is only available near Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California and in San Francisco's Union Square shopping district.

Free wireless communications would take Google even further from its internet search roots and move it into the fiercely competitive world of internet access providers and telecommunications companies.

"The really scary thing is that Google does VoIP and WiFi coverage, which could provide an alternative to fixed-voice and mobile voice services," Green said.

Google has already opened up a front in the telephony market, having introduced a VoIP service called Google Talk in August.

In the short-term a Google WiFi service would be bad news for commercial WiFi providers, who charge their users by the hour for using their hotspots.

SOURCE: http://www.electricnews.net/frontpage/news-9646958.html

that is very good news, that means free internet is back again , wow , if only they can hurt the competition very bad that will mean that everyone will have to lower the price on internet service they offer and that will make things way more affortable for the regular customers.

google is slowly taking over the world..they scare me. but u gotta love em

586559419[/snapback]

If by world you mean america, then your probably right, not read anything about it coming to the uk.

that is very good news, that means free internet is back again , wow , if only they can hurt the competition very bad that will mean that everyone will have to lower the price on internet service they offer and that will make things way more affortable for the regular customers.

586559380[/snapback]

and maybe cuts and layoffs to employees, the negative side of this

and maybe cuts and layoffs to employees, the negative side of this

586559608[/snapback]

If Google, that despite its size and huge capital, is still a search-engine based company that makes maney out of advertising, can do it... so can TelCom giants, with years of expertise and huge resources in the business !!

And without layoffs!!

They just have been sitting on their asses, taking their business for granted, perhaps waiting for WiMAx to make the next step, but to again probably do it with zero innovation.

If Google can take down the lousy ISPs I have in my Country, they will be received with honors of heroes and imperors.

I still have 4GB of external traffic per month as limit !! In a premium service!!

Its like living in caves, for Gods sake !!

F*** ISPs. Go Google, go !!

If Google, that despite its size and huge capital, is still a search-engine based company that makes maney out of advertising, can do it... so can TelCom giants !!

And without layoffs!!

They just have been sitting on their asses, taking their business for granted, perhaps waiting for WiMAx to make the next step, but to again probably do it with zero innovation.

If Google can take down the lousy ISP I have in my Country, they will be received with honors of heroes and imperors.

I still have 4GB of external traffic per month as limit !! In a premium service!!

Its like living in caves, for Gods sake !!

**** ISPs. Go Google, go !!

586559721[/snapback]

I agree wholeheartedly, if they can roll out even a paid version where I live, I'd go for it. Telus sucks major ass

I agree wholeheartedly, if they can roll out even a paid version where I live, I'd go for it. Telus sucks major ass

586559741[/snapback]

dont worry little one, Bell sympatico + Rogers internet are teaming up to create the worlds largest/most advaced wireless network, and it stretches accross canada :)

Just wait.

pretty fast ehh... so when is the GLOBAL rollout?

586559482[/snapback]

I doubt they will go global with this....

Maybe next year they will have a little less of 50% of the USA

I doubt they will go global with this....

Maybe next year they will have a little less of 50% of the USA

586559761[/snapback]

Hey, as long as they deploy it here in downtown seattle, i'l be one happy camper.