[RELEASE] Universal UXTheme Multipatcher v1.2

uxthemelogo.jpg

I'm finally publicly releasing my custom made uxtheme patching tool. It has been included in my FlyakiteOSX project since v1.0 but I've never really announced the tool on it's own.

It is only 96.8kb and supports all versions of Windows XP and higher. It does NOT support 64-bit versions yet though. That is in the works.

The installer is very simple. Just run it and click "Patch". If your uxtheme version is not supported by the patcher you will be notified. If it is not supported please let me know and I'll work with you to add it for the next update.

The utility also supports silent patching. Simply run the installer with the "/S" switch. During silent patching, if the patch is successful you will not be told, it will simply just remain silent. If the patch is unsuccessful however, the utility will notify you even with the /S switch.

Logo and image design by Fer

If you are wondering why I made this when there is already a tool out for this, it is because I wasn't satisfied with WindowsX version. It often alerts users about weird nt setup files on the C:\ and things like that. My tool does none of that. His tool is also 860kb which is pretty large. I try to save space in my FlyakiteOSX project every way I can, so I created my own tool which is only 96.8kb.

EDIT: Since this tool is so small, I am granting permission for any visual style (msstyle) creators to include it in their visual style releases. The only thing I ask is that you if you include it to state in your release that you are including it and it was created by flyakite. Thanks.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by flyakite19

I'm going to try it with windows XP MCE 2005, will post results shortly

Excellent, worked fine and now my theme will work

Thanks for the great proggie

Edited by Z3r0

Im tempted, but the problem is I tried once and had to reninstall windows. Now I dont have a reinstall cd. So ill stick to style xp that still works after the trial period is over?

Im tempted, but the problem is I tried once and had to reninstall windows. Now I dont have a reinstall cd. So ill stick to style xp that still works after the trial period is over?

586641889[/snapback]

there will NEVER be a time when you need to reinstall windows because of a uxtheme hack. why not? because the uxtheme hack doesn't do anything except lock the theming engine, preventing the use of 3rd party themes. if the file is deleted (or the wrong version is used), the WORST that can happen is one will be forced to use classic. in that case, all one needs to do is restore the backup (which should be automatically created if you used replacer), which can be done WITHIN WINDOWS.

there's such a mysticism surrounding system file replacement, but it's all unwarranted. if you're careful about what you're doing and know what you're doing, there is no risk.

now, with that said, you can always make a backup of the file and restore it in windows. you shouldn't be scared of trying out this patcher.

or, of course, you could do it manually: https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=339820

replacer automatically creates a backup and, if you want to restore it, just drop the file back in the command window and type restore. that's it.

Question:

What the diference with the Neowin one?

Just the way it work?

Just to say,

I personaly had patched my own CD ^^'

When I used ux theme patcher once I came up with a software error and went to blue screen. Had to reinstall. Now im scared.

586642021[/snapback]

windowsx' patcher? that one doesn't always work. that's why i suggest doing it manually, or, if you like, try out this universal multipatcher.

and a blue screen is a separate problem (could be ram, other hardware, driver issues, etc.). it has nothing to do with the uxtheme hack.

and don't be scared. we can help you. :)

Question:

What the diference with the Neowin one?

Just the way it work?

Just to say,

I personaly had patched my own CD ^^'

586642056[/snapback]

if you mean the multipatcher that is sticked created by windowsx, flyakite19 has written:

EDIT: If you are wondering why I made this when there is already a tool out for this, it is because I wasn't satisfied with WindowsX tool. It often alerts users about weird setup files on the C:\ and stuff like that. This tool does none of that. And his tool is 860kb, and I try to save space in FlyakiteOSX every way I can, so I created my own.

Yes so finaly it's the same thing?

I just want to know, i'm not using it but I foward lot of people to this patch from WinX...

And as I have already patched my file in the CD I can't run this I guess...

So I ask ^^'

Yes so finaly it's the same thing?

I just want to know, i'm not using it but I foward lot of people to this patch from WinX...

And as I have already patched my file in the CD I can't run this I guess...

So I ask ^^'

586642104[/snapback]

well, i don't know how it works exactly (i didn't write either of them), but it does the same thing: it replaces uxtheme.dll with a hacked uxtheme.dll.

Yes basically they are the same thing, however from my point of view I feel as if my application is simpler.

I'm not saying that WindowsX' program is bad, but in my experience using it I have had issues with it, and so that's why I created a utility of my own to fullfill my needs.

The utility is included with my FlyakiteOSX program, which has been download 10s of thousands of times, and I have yet to have any report problems with visual styles or blue screens afterwards.

The tool does not have an uninstall feature yet, however I will add that to the program for the next update. However, it does create a backup of your uxtheme.dll file named uxtheme.backup in your system32 directory.

Thank flyakite19, as a Tech I can't sugest something that is cannot be trusted,,,

But if it's as good than the WinX one it's ok.

I never saw that thing on the drive... donno but if your program is lighter it's better for me :D

Im tempted but scared  :cry:

586642453[/snapback]

As long as you aren't using 64-bit Windows you should have no problems. No one who has used this tool (including all of the FlyakiteOSX users) has ever reported a problem like the one you specified. Your problem wasn't due to patching the file, something else also caused that.

Just use my tool. It will NOT cause any blue screens or anything. The very worst that can happen is either 1) Your uxtheme version isn't supported and it will not patch it or 2) It patches your file incorrectly (.0000001% chance of that happening) and you are forced to use Windows Classic. If #2 is the case, I'll tell you how to fix it.

Even if for some crazy Twilight Zone reason you couldn't get into Windows because of the patch, get on another PC, contact me, and I can tell you how to fix it.

• 3 months later...
(.0000001% chance of that happening)

I like those odds

hey ill try it when i get home i mean whats the worse that can happen...

the windowsx one didnt work for me either, not sure why.. it worked fine on my laptop so who knows..

Ill post up my results when i have given it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Got as far as downloading the hacked uxtheme.dll and the replacer but when i try to extract uxtheme.dll it says its corrupt

i am trying to do it manually first but i cant find the uxtheme.dll that works.

I am on Xp Home edition 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : service pack 2)

Got as far as downloading the hacked uxtheme.dll and the replacer but when i try to extract uxtheme.dll it says its corrupt

i am trying to do it manually first but i cant find the uxtheme.dll that works.

I am on Xp Home edition 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : service pack 2)

did you download that from my guide? the file works for me. are you using a dl manager? turn that off and then download it.

• 6 months later...

It Works!!! I joined just to say: "thanks millions, flyakite!!" I wish I'd found this last year when the other, eh-hem, patchers screwed my system. I always wanted to try your way, Dreamz, but never found a patched dll that matched my system. After sooo long and soo many forums I'm glad I happened upon this thread and finally found something that works...and it's so simple.

Thanks again!!! :)

One more thing..if I need to change anything like update or do something that'll make windoze belch I should probably use Replacer to re-patch my backup uxtheme.dll, right? I've already rar'd the new patched dll for future use. Thanks again, dude or dudette!! :whistle: