Question about Xbox emulation on Xbox 360

Heh, another emulation from me today.

I was wondering if the increased power of the 360 was gonna do anything to boost the visuals of Xbox games in the same way that the PS2 cleaned things up on PS1 games. Or, is the processing power needed to translate graphics instructions from nVidia to ATI going to negate any sort of improvement?

I'm mainly thinking of Halo 2 and the texture pop-in problem that plagued the cut-scenes. Would the power of the 360 fix things like that?

Thanks!

NOTE: You may note that this thread is also in the general Gamers' Hangout forum. I accidentally posted it there rather than here, so I've asked the mods to delete that thread, making this one the real one. Just didn't want people to think I'm cross-posting or anything.

Yeah, I meant to ask some 360 team members when they visited my university, but the question sorta slipped my mind when they asked, "So, anybody wanna play some Perfect Dark: Zero?"

Thanks for the info!

You can bet it will look better since it's not full emulation, the binaries are actually re-compiled. And yes although nobody has confirmed it yet I'm sure the texture pop-in of Halo 2 will be fixed, it was automatic LOD adjustment that's why it was so "random"

I was expecting them to show Halo 2 at x05 but we shall see soon anyway.

Heh, another emulation from me today.

I was wondering if the increased power of the 360 was gonna do anything to boost the visuals of Xbox games in the same way that the PS2 cleaned things up on PS1 games. Or, is the processing power needed to translate graphics instructions from nVidia to ATI going to negate any sort of improvement?

I'm mainly thinking of Halo 2 and the texture pop-in problem that plagued the cut-scenes. Would the power of the 360 fix things like that?

Thanks!

NOTE: You may note that this thread is also in the general Gamers' Hangout forum. I accidentally posted it there rather than here, so I've asked the mods to delete that thread, making this one the real one. Just didn't want people to think I'm cross-posting or anything.

586653572[/snapback]

It's very likely that games will be antialiased. I think it wouldn't be hard to add HDTV support to games. but that's just my guess

You can bet it will look better since it's not full emulation, the binaries are actually re-compiled. And yes although nobody has confirmed it yet I'm sure the texture pop-in of Halo 2 will be fixed, it was automatic LOD adjustment that's why it was so "random"

I was expecting them to show Halo 2 at x05 but we shall see soon anyway.

586653603[/snapback]

Games will not be recompiled. they're being emulated. the whole recompilation deal was just FUD spread around at the time of the announcement.

Games will run smoother, but unless they are ported with updated textures, they will not look better.

586653747[/snapback]

Uh have you ever played Halo 2? It had better textures than was shown much of the time, since it automacically reduced the quality to be playable on the original Xbox specs, you can expect them to be in full detail on the 360. It will probably get better FSAA and higher resolution too.

Here is a feature that was used a lot in Halo 2, except instead of having pre-defined LOD it had dynamic based on available system resources.

Quote from nVIDIA's OpenGL documentation, it still applies for Direct3D though.

On some implementations, increasing the texture lod bias may improve

texture filtering performance (at the cost of texture bluriness).

The extension mimics functionality found in Direct3D.

That should mean you should get less blury textures on the 360, at least where the dynamic LOD reduces the texture quality much.

Here is why the models should look better under SOME situations IF "ported" properly to the 360

In computer programming, level of detail involves decreasing the detail of a model or object as it moves away from the viewer. Level of detail is used in video games because, by decreasing the polygon count, it increases the speed ? a desirable effect. The reduced visual quality of the model or object is counteracted by the decrease in detail that would visible at such a distance. This, of course, depends on the individual system.