- The new AIM logo looks nice.

- UI has improved alot.

- The IM window has also improved alot.

- Finally able to edit you're profile.

- Docking is excellent.

Dislikes

- AOL Explorer / Plaxo / Search Bar in IM window

- Still no custom font support?!

- There should be a 1px border or something under your screen name (the big capitalized one)....in the get profile window(?)

- No "Direct Connection" support.

- IM sounds aren't working??

- Also..when I click the Exit option in the system tray, I want my client to exit. Meaning ALL processes to be closed...is this possible???

Other: I am just wonder if you still have J Dennis from the DeadAIM project still working with you? Because I notice some of his programs features are in Triton. Also, I read awhile back that they were planning on releasing a GM of Triton soon. How is this possible when there is stuff that needs to be done/fixed?

I refuse to even install this until those stray AOL processes are turned off when I close AIM.

Too bad really since I like the client itself.

Triton build 0.7.13 is our Beta 7 Client. Great job by all teams involved from UI guys to QA. IMO, major improvements on this build wrt performance with the UI. You can download the build from http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/win_beta.adp or from http://beta.aol.com/projects/tritonbeta/index.html

Feedback is always appreciated.

Here are the new features:

* Additional Expressions support. You can now use the AIM? Expressions page to customize icons, sounds, smileys, wallpaper and 1-click themes.Navigate to the Expressions Settings to get started.

* The ability to edit or create a Profile. Select My Buddy Info from the Buddy List feature's View menu to launch the Profile editor.

* The ability to better customize your IM windows. Using the View menu on your IM window, you can now choose not to display the Formatting, Activity and/or Send bars.

Bug fixes:

# Changes to newly created Away messages do not appear in Choose Other Message menu until user exits, relaunches then signs back on to client

# Not possible to add buddy with Mobile phone no. & Short name to the Buddy List

# If the user selects multiple screen names in the buddy list by Ctrl Key + Left Click, then the user is not able to deselect the buddy from the selection

# Unable to view Friendly Names in Linked Account Buddy Lists

# The VOIP feature is not enabled in this build of the software for non-VOIP enabled screen names. For these screen names, clicking the VOIP/Phone button at the bottom of the Buddy List will display promo artwork for this feature

# When non-IMF user chooses Mobile in Status menu on BL, his status is changed to Away instead of just going to the IM setup web page

# When changing status to Away, the 'Away since:' field within the Away message on the BL for linked accounts is blank

# Buddy List does not remember window size and position at sign off

# Creating new Away message and setting it as default doesn't work untill user exits the client and login back

# The Live Video feature is not available in AIM Triton

# Screen Name pulldown menu does notpopulate without application restart

# After un-installation of AOL Explorer, clicking hyperlinks in IM window are not opened in default IE browser

# File Transfer - After accepting an incoming file transfer, IM window does not switch to Files tab (one has to switch to file tab to open and/or find the file)

# Last-used SN is not remembered in Screen Name field on Sign On screen when client is restarted (first SN in list always is selected at launch)

# 'Lost or Broken PassCode?' link on the Passcode screen does not open appropriate URL or prompt when clicked

# When client is launched, Sign On screen has no default focus - cannot sign on with Enter key without tabbing first

# If you don't have AOL or AIM (5.9...) installed on your system, SupperBuddy icons will be static

# Some Flash ads (One.org, Hoffman Bikes) on Triton Buddy List are launched in MSIE even if user has set AOL Explorer as default browser

# Using AOL Uninstaller and Uninstalling "AOL Communications Suite" remove ALL versions of Triton, including standalone

# If Strauss Refresh GM is installed after AIM Triton (0.4.7), a tray icon for each appears on your taskbar; both have the same options. Rebooting fixes the issue

# Linked SNs get prompted for password when trying to send Quicknote Mail

# With AOL My Storage (aDisk) beta (1.0.0.38) installed, Triton login hangs at Starting or Transferring

# With 'Use the Enter key to send IMs' Setting deselected, Ctrl-Enter also stops working

# New IM Toaster Notification form displays nothing when receiving an IM that contents including '&' symbol

# SuperBuddy Icon is not displayed in IM window (receiver's pane) when the setting for Buddy Icon 'Display Official Buddy Icons and any Icons from people on my Buddy List' is selected

# IMs may sometimes appear under the 'Unknown Senders' category in IM Catcher even if they are on your Buddy List

# SuperBuddy Icon is not displaying in IM window (receiver's pane) when receiving IM from a buddy who is not on Buddy List

# Toggling the Friendly Names option does not update names in existing IM windows

# IM Catcher does not allow for screennames longer than 16 characters (domained sns) without text overlap

# IM Catcher is not honoring settings for linked accounts

# The Plugins Setting may not be functional

- The new AIM logo looks nice.

- UI has improved alot.

- The IM window has also improved alot.

- Finally able to edit you're profile.

- Docking is excellent.

Dislikes

- AOL Explorer / Plaxo / Search Bar in IM window

- Still no custom font support?!

- There should be a 1px border or something under your screen name (the big capitalized one)....in the get profile window(?)

- No "Direct Connection" support.

- IM sounds aren't working??

- Also..when I click the Exit option in the system tray, I want my client to exit. Meaning ALL processes to be closed...is this possible???

Other: I am just wonder if you still have J Dennis from the DeadAIM project still working with you? Because I notice some of his programs features are in Triton. Also, I read awhile back that they were planning on releasing a GM of Triton soon. How is this possible when there is stuff that needs to be done/fixed?

586658284[/snapback]

I think your positives are great news for us...some of these things you were complaining about 2 months ago. Now for the news on the dislikes, which I am sure you all are more interested in.

AIM Ad Hack (while not an endorsement) does provide an installer with Plaxo and AOL Explorer install options. I am hoping that we get these options into our main installer for GM. As I have said before, execs at AOL are reading your comments via my blog so the comments about AOL Explorer are being seen by people who make this decision.

Custom Font support hopefully will be in there...but its one of those things were we rather fix crashes and performance first.

Direct Connect or as we call in (DIM) will get in eventually...but one thing Justin and I have talked about recently is why you guys like DIM instead of File Transfer. In AIM 5.x FT lets u send files or directories in a non-blocking manor, by this I mean u can still send IMs or do other operations with the buddy you are sending the file too. DIM blocks features. The one advantage is that you get inline images and files.

IM Sounds worked fine for me today. Are you playing a custom IM sound or are you playing buddies custom sounds?

Exiting the app problem is frustrating. I will see who I can get to look at this.

Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated.

Direct Connect or as we call in (DIM) will get in eventually...but one thing Justin and I have talked about recently is why you guys like DIM instead of File Transfer.  In AIM 5.x FT lets u send files or directories in a non-blocking manor, by this I mean u can still send IMs or do other operations with the buddy you are sending the file too.  DIM blocks features.  The one advantage is that you get inline images and files.

586658368[/snapback]

The reason is convenience, we don't have to open an external application to view the images/preview the sounds. You need to remember this is a long standing feature in AIM that people have become used to, once you start removing long standing features you start losing users too.

SULAX50 -

Also it seems triton still doesn't remember my Screen Name and the Auto-Login settings.

I agree with the post above that it would be nice for AIM to shut down all processes upon exit.

JDennis went to the AIM dev team.

The worse thing he did was charge his excustomers for DeadAIM and then NO support or updates.

586658488[/snapback]

James Dennis no longer works for AOL, you can read more here.

He sold all rights to DeadAIM to AOL, so it's AOL that's giving you no new versions and "NO support"

If someone could help me that'd be great...

I just d/l'd the beta and every time i try to save different settings, it gives me an error saying that it was unable to save them.

The reason is convenience, we don't have to open an external application to view the images/preview the sounds. You need to remember this is a long standing feature in AIM that people have become used to, once you start removing long standing features you start losing users too.

586658470[/snapback]

I understand. Believe me when I say we have NOT "removed" DIM. We are reevaluating DIM and its inner workings. I am asking you guys some questions about what you like and what you don't like since you all seem to have some interesting opinions. There are not too many products that ask every day users to provide feedback and ideas, so I hope you bear with us. After we take some feedback and discuss as a development team we will put the finished product in the client. Again it has not disappeared, rather we are trying to get things better than they were before which is what this Triton client is all about.

I understand.  Believe me when I say we have NOT "removed" DIM.  We are reevaluating DIM and its inner workings.  I am asking you guys some questions about what you like and what you don't like since you all seem to have some interesting opinions.  There are not too many products that ask every day users to provide feedback and ideas, so I hope you bear with us.  After we take some feedback and discuss as a development team we will put the finished product in the client.  Again it has not disappeared, rather we are trying to get things better than they were before which is what this Triton client is all about.

586658572[/snapback]

Good to hear, so in what ways do you think DIM can be improved in Triton ?

Well greg, Im having the same problems as last time ... this time Ive got a lot farther though, i get to Current Step: 85% and Total Progress: 27% .. I deleted all the directories and reg. keys you told me too ... its weird, only had these problems the last two betas :(

Well greg, Im having the same problems as last time ... this time Ive got a lot farther though, i get to Current Step: 85% and Total Progress: 27% ..  I deleted all the directories and reg. keys you told me too ... its weird, only had these problems the last two betas :(

586658626[/snapback]

Can you email me your install log again. You can find it in c:\program files\aol\installers. Make sure u send me the most recent installer log. Also, make sure no AOL stuff is running in your task manager when you install.

Is it true that it has ads all over it and it self installs AOL software?  If not, i'll give it a try

586658906[/snapback]

It has one ad, and u can chose where u view it, the top of the BL or the IM window. There are 3rd parties who have figured out ways to disable the ads and give u install options. I recommend people try it out, as it really is a neat and different AIM experience.

BTW, as the news has broken over the evening about a MSFT/YHOO interop deal, I will be writing comments on my blog tomorrow.

I think your positives are great news for us...some of these things you were complaining about 2 months ago.  Now for the news on the dislikes, which I am sure you all are more interested in.

AIM Ad Hack (while not an endorsement) does provide an installer with Plaxo and AOL Explorer install options.  I am hoping that we get these options into our main installer for GM.  As I have said before, execs at AOL are reading your comments via my blog so the comments about AOL Explorer are being seen by people who make this decision.

Custom Font support hopefully will be in there...but its one of those things were we rather fix crashes and performance first.

Direct Connect or as we call in (DIM) will get in eventually...but one thing Justin and I have talked about recently is why you guys like DIM instead of File Transfer.  In AIM 5.x FT lets u send files or directories in a non-blocking manor, by this I mean u can still send IMs or do other operations with the buddy you are sending the file too.  DIM blocks features.  The one advantage is that you get inline images and files.

IM Sounds worked fine for me today.  Are you playing a custom IM sound or are you playing buddies custom sounds?

Exiting the app problem is frustrating.  I will see who I can get to look at this. 

Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated.

586658368[/snapback]

About the IM sound, I didn't touch a thing since install. It's set on to "Play My Expressions Buddy Sound"... :huh:

DIM is a weird thing to like, but I think most AIM users love it. DIM and the custom profiles are the two big AIM-only features that (frankly) keep me using it. The reason it's so weird is, it's not very convenient. Pictures with huge dimensions will always be distorted, and you end up saving it and opening it separately in the first place. I hate that people can randomly send sounds and there's no way to disable auto-playing them that I know of.

Oh, and one of the neater, IRC-ish things: sign off the service and keep right on talking to whoever you've DCed. If this ever went away, I'd cry.

Like, teenage girl final episode of Dawson's Creek cry.

I want to say, pictures sent in DIM could be sent as a thumbnail you could then click to open separately, without having to save at all, but, hrm, MSN does that, and I'm not too keen on it. So I don't know if I'd like it like that.

If there's one thing I definitely think the devs need to hear, it's that we don't want AIM to give us a place online to store pictures. I don't think anybody does. It was a frustrating, ridiculous 'feature' to turn the DIM button on the toolbar into a photo-album launcher instead of the regular open-file window.

About the IM sound, I didn't touch a thing since install. It's set on to "Play My Expressions Buddy Sound"... :huh:

586658959[/snapback]

Sweet...NOT! OK so there is an issue where if you are playing the expression sound and the buddy u are talking to does not have an expression sound set, you may get a windows message beep.

Sweet...NOT!  OK so there is an issue where if you are playing the expression sound and the buddy u are talking to does not have an expression sound set, you may get a windows message beep.

586658983[/snapback]

No. I am sorry I wasn't specific. They have a sound set (some cat one), and I don't hear it. All I hear is a beep...of what you described.