What type of bee/wasp is 1inch long in SE PA?

I was up last night around 4:30 AM, and I had my light on in my room (as well as my window open) and naturally bugs would be attracted to it. I come in my room and i hear this very deep humming.

Flying around the screen of my window was a bee...or maybe a wasp...

But the thing was literally 1-1.5 inch long...its tail alone was 0.5 inches.

Its width was probably 0.75 inchs as well...its tail alone was 0.25 inches.

I was looking online and it was saying common yellow jackets and paper wasps (common in SE Pennsylvania) are 1 inch long. Now Ive seen a lot of those...they surely arent 1 inch long...maybe 0.5 inches.

But even at that, I dont hear their hum, unless they are right near my ear.

The only bee i can hear when 3-5 feet away is a carpenter bee...and I can guarantee you it wasnt that.

If you ask me I think it was that yellow jacket seen in Japan...the one that attacks and destroys normal yellow jacket hives...one that has venom that eats away at human flesh.

Could it be such a bee in SE PA? This is the first time ive ever seen a been that large in this area.

lol i hate bees once i was bike riding and had murry's wax on my hair and one of those huge things got stuck in my hair lol

Haha I am also in SE PA, Lancaster Coutny. We had these around here too, I thought it was a queen bee yellow jacket but it wasn't cause there was another...I left it alone cause I don't want stung by it cause I really think it would hurt :rofl: .

I'm also in SE PA and offed one of these guys just last night!

I thought it was a wasp, as it had it's stinger on the head area.

Funny thing is, when I first saw it, I heard "Enemy Chopper Spotted!"

Sounds like a hornet at that sort of size.. nasty.

Strangely walked in my bathroom today to see a wasp just sitting in the empty bathtub.. the shoe came off and it got a bash over the head, and was promptly disposed off down the toilet. Horrible fecking things.

Maybe a cicaida killer? Those suckers can get friggen huge.

And I've actually seen one of those huge suckers from Japan while I was living there. So friggen big, man, I wish I'd had a shotgun to shoot the bast*rd down.

Maybe a cicaida killer? Those suckers can get friggen huge.

And I've actually seen one of those huge suckers from Japan while I was living there. So friggen big, man, I wish I'd had a shotgun to shoot the bast*rd down.

586667860[/snapback]

I think we had those... They used to fly all over the place as I ran through fields of grass around my home. There were so many wizzing back and forth you couldn't even step without hitting one. And then there was one in my garage, on the floor right outside the door. I stepped out, stepped like on it and we both freaked out LOL And then I killed it with a fly swatter... Thing was huge.

:huh: Hornet.

And not really a Yellowjacket, but pretty darn close, this wasp lives in wooded regions. The nests are constructed of a paper-like martial formed from chewed wood.

The nests are conspicuous and are sometimes near human structures. Many nests are discovered at the end of the summer, after protecting leaves fall from trees. It is often best to do nothing at this time except be aware of avoiding the nest and you could even mark out a caution zone so that others are not surprised. Occasionally, the wasps will build nests under roof overhangs, in attics, crawlspaces and wall voids, or under decks or porches. Foragers are present from June to October.

Hornets are attracted to light! Switch it off and open the window, if a hornet found a way into your house. Then the hornet will leave from the room alone.

post-37120-1129242229.jpg

i think it was a hornet...

there were more yellow stripes on the tail than that Cicada wasp in post #12.

i looked online and the hornets are common in SE PA.

They are pretty big apparently.

But I also read that when they are not in the viscinity of their nest they are pretty calm insects.

My guess is that they get pretty defensive around their nests...

So my guess is that I wouldnt have run into any problems with the hornet...

but then again I dont want to deal with a flying bug any longer than 0.25 inches....

I have seen many yellow jackets that are 1 - 1.5 in long. They get that large commonly near my home in FL.

post-59416-1129272235.jpgpost-59416-1129272253.jpg

post-59416-1129272269.jpg

*Edit* - Just in case anyone was wondering, these are very aggressive and have a nasty sting :pinch:

i think it was a hornet...

there were more yellow stripes on the tail than that Cicada wasp in post #12.

i looked online and the hornets are common in SE PA.

They are pretty big apparently.

But I also read that when they are not in the viscinity of their nest they are pretty calm insects.

My guess is that they get pretty defensive around their nests...

So my guess is that I wouldnt have run into any problems with the hornet...

but then again I dont want to deal with a flying bug any longer than 0.25 inches....

586669456[/snapback]

that is correct, my father worked on oil-tanks, and a hornet's nest had formed on the "catwalk".....(the small walkway-sectioned area where he walked between 2 tanks) and hornets knocked him down from 10FT in the air! I was a amazed, and yes, although he did survive, he had some nasty swelling! And one heck of a bruise! :pinch:

• 1 month later...

find the nest, wait til sunset and torch it...at least thats what my family does.

If you're smart, you WONT sit next to the nest and kill them one at a time with a near empty can of hornet killer...I speak from experience here. Quite difficult to enjoy any games with a swollen thumb.