Simple question... why?

Why is there customizing already going on for Vista? I mean, we don't even know if this is the final GUI, do we? So, what's the point? I wasn't really into the desktop customization scene back during the Whistler betas, but there wasn't all that much modding back then, was there?

It just seems sorta, well, pointless to start building a community around something that may very well cease to exist in a few months.

because there are people using vista now and they want to test its limits. whats the harm in modding ur beta anyway, people are going to be using their copies for a long time before the final version of vista is released like late next year

because there are people using vista now and they want to test its limits. whats the harm in modding ur beta anyway, people are going to be using their copies for a long time before the final version of vista is released like late next year

586714085[/snapback]

*cough* "if" ;)

there were one or two themes for vista, but they were more of a "let's see if we can do this" thing, not a widespread theme.

586686308[/snapback]

i agree... it's kinda like a test for the real thing :happy:

Exploring new horizons does not require a pre-defined outcome. People are learning and mastering new skills. It's radical to believe Microsoft is going to completely revamp the OS's look and feel prior to it's release (unless some court makes a ruling...).

What they are learning is not in vain and will give them a leg up when the final is released. If not, then back to the drawing board but without re-inventing the wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

My answer to this would be: it's a hobby they like to do on their spare time.

It has nothing to do with whether it's out or not; they just like to do it for fun.

Also who the f cares? sorry to be so blunt but if I wish to go and mod msn 8 messenger why not? its fun it is creative, to be creative is a good thing and that is why people do it.

The real reason is because they have nothing else to do, since they are not real beta testers.

586723540[/snapback]

This is a true one

Edited by vladtm

But i have a question....how does a Vista Betas version Leak to Web so easy ....because after 5 hours from the legal release,the 5219 was on the net for free,who is to blame for this...??

But i have a question....how does a Vista Betas version Leak to Web so easy ....because after 5 hours from the legal release,the 5219 was on the net for free,who is to blame for this...??

586793460[/snapback]

It is either someone who is in the beta that leaks it, like what Viscera said. Or, it is someone that works inside Microsoft that has access to the builds that leaks it.

• 1 month later...

[

Why is there customizing already going on for Vista? ...

Some of the answers you have here are a little thoughtless. I am a Beta tester. A lot of useful hints are gained from pages such as this one. Instructions to a beta tester are -- to test to its limits--- this includes, among many things customisation. Feedback on ALL aspects is sent back to MS and, hopefully, they adjust the program before the next generation beta. It is certainly not sufficient to install and report back that you do or dont like it.

I feel it is a good thing. As when I eventually install Vista I know that people will have already done all the hard work and there will already be themes and skins available (that work ;) ).