Build 5231 Issues

I had some issues getting Glass to work. Using some suggested registry hacks, Vista was crashing and I had to reinstall twice. Finally, one method worked. Aquadex, on this board, suggested this method...

Create and run a simple .reg file that bypasses the video card check on boot...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DWM]

"EnableMachineCheck"=dword:00000000

It is now working, albeit slowly. The main problem is icon flickering while hovering the curser over them. Has anyone found a solution to this problem with older video cards?

Also, is there a good thread for increasing overall Vista performance and speed?

Lastly, I haven't been able to find how to edit my boot menu. It currently has xp and 3 instances of Vista. (from the 3 times i had to install to get it working) Any suggestions?

Thanks.

(also, printscreen is not working while in 3d task-switcher mode, which sucks. fix?)

This key doesn't even enable the "Glass Experience." It is merely turning on transparent window borders.

To fix your bootloader you have to modify boot.ini. Remove the invalid/duplicate instances of Longhorn.

No kidding. I didn't expect it to fly, but I've read of worse cards running it. My video card isn't horrible, it has 128 megs. Most things work fine, I figured the icon flickering could have a simple fix, since it's a minor problem. Printscreen not working and the bootmenu have nothing to do with my video card. I am aware that my card is not supported... Hopefully we can get past that now.

This key doesn't even enable the "Glass Experience."  It is merely turning on transparent window borders.

To fix your bootloader you have to modify boot.ini.  Remove the invalid/duplicate instances of Longhorn.

586704516[/snapback]

Thanks, but in addition to transparency, I also have minimizing, maximizing and window opening animations, previews on mouseover in the taskbar and the 3d cycling task-switcher view. I'm sure there's more (blurring etc) with the full Glass Experience.

Regarding boot.ini, it's not in the root dir or in windows. Where is it within Vista?

Thanks, but in addition to transparency, I also have minimizing, maximizing and window opening animations, previews on mouseover in the taskbar and the 3d cycling task-switcher view.  I'm sure there's more (blurring etc) with the full Glass Experience. 

Regarding boot.ini, it's not in the root dir or in windows.  Where is it within Vista?

586704590[/snapback]

There should be a directory called BOOT, on your C drive now, I'm thinking thats where they've put the information, but there isnt anything in there that you can modify from within XP,

Well the speed and the effects in vista are very good actually i should say they are the best yet in a os that i have seen, the only issue is that people dont hav ethe hardware specs recommended for using it so we only see people on the board complaining about it.

If people would buy the right hardware specs needed to run the os in the first place well they could test it correctly.

1 ) Are you by the way in the beta test or not???

2 ) If yes the nhow could you be invited in with such hardware as per you are not even able to test it correctly at full speed.??

3) if you have been invited did you look at what was the minimum specs to have everything working top notch or not ????.

4) If you did verify the minimum specs recommended then you should know that with your hardware you will never be able to have the os run at everybody else speed and with the cool effects on it.!!

There should be a directory called BOOT, on your C drive now, I'm thinking thats where they've put the information, but there isnt anything in there that you can modify from within XP,

586704643[/snapback]

No, you still need to edit boot.ini. It should be on the first parition on the first physical disk in your computer.

586704643[/snapback]

The boot.ini file should just be in your C: root folder. I'm not exactly sure how it would work if you had Vista on the C: drive, but I have XP x64 on C: and Vista on E:, and it just edited the boot.ini on the C:. I actually just removed my extra instances of Vista as a few days ago as well.

Alternatively, you could go into System Properties in XP or Vista, go to the Advanced tab, then open the Startup and Recovery options, then click the edit button to edit the boot.ini file if you can't find it.

Well the speed and the effects in vista are very good actually i should say they are the best yet in a os that i have seen, the only issue is that people dont hav ethe hardware specs recommended for using it so we only see people on the board complaining about it.

If people would buy the right hardware specs needed to run the os in the first place well they could test it correctly.

1 ) Are you by the way in the beta test or not???

2 ) If yes the nhow could you be invited in with such hardware as per you are not even able to test it correctly at full speed.??

3) if you have been invited did you look at what was the minimum specs to have everything working top notch or not ????.

4) If you did verify the minimum specs recommended then you should know that with your hardware you will never be able to have the os run at everybody else speed and with the cool effects on it.!!

586704842[/snapback]

This is a waste of space. I obtained the beta legally, knowing I did not have the full specs. I am not buying a new video card now to beta test an OS that comes out in a year. (and it will probably be much different by then anyway. I'll buy my 512 meg video card THEN) I'm not on here bitching about how slowly it runs, I'm just looking to see if there are known improvements on the speed, cpu and memory utilization, etc. to see if I can improve the performance at all. It really bothers me when people complain that others don't have the full specs. I am not beta testing for Microsoft, I am testing the OS for fun.

The boot.ini file should just be in your C: root folder. I'm not exactly sure how it would work if you had Vista on the C: drive, but I have XP x64 on C: and Vista on E:, and it just edited the boot.ini on the C:. I actually just removed my extra instances of Vista as a few days ago as well.

Alternatively, you could go into System Properties in XP or Vista, go to the Advanced tab, then open the Startup and Recovery options, then click the edit button to edit the boot.ini file if you can't find it.

586704864[/snapback]

The problem is this... XP is on c: and Vista on d:. If i choose pre-longhorn at boot (xp) it takes me to another screen, where i choose xp or longhorn. This is the boot.ini on c:, which has two options.

Still, that first boot screen has 3 instances of longhorn/vista. MSCONFIG/boot.ini from within Vista shows this boot.ini, from c:, with only one xp and one vista. I can't find the other boot.ini. Maybe just changing the order could make a difference?

This is a waste of space.  I obtained the beta legally, knowing I did not have the full specs.  I am not buying a new video card now to beta test an OS that comes out in a year.  (and it will probably be much different by then anyway.  I'll buy my 512 meg video card THEN)  I'm not on here bitching about how slowly it runs, I'm just looking to see if there are known improvements on the speed, cpu and memory utilization, etc. to see if I can improve the performance at all.  It really bothers me when people complain that others don't have the full specs.  I am not beta testing for Microsoft, I am testing the OS for fun.

The problem is this... XP is on c: and Vista on d:.  If i choose pre-longhorn at boot (xp) it takes me to another screen, where i choose xp or longhorn.  This is the boot.ini on c:, which has two options. 

Still, that first boot screen has 3 instances of longhorn/vista.  MSCONFIG/boot.ini from within Vista shows this boot.ini, from c:, with only one xp and one vista.  I can't find the other boot.ini.  Maybe just changing the order could make a difference?

586704925[/snapback]

Actually no, the new boot loader also uses the same boot.ini file using the /usenewloader flag. If you remove the extras from that one it should remove it from both.

Actually no, the new boot loader also uses the same boot.ini file using the /usenewloader flag. If you remove the extras from that one it should remove it from both.

586705027[/snapback]

Not sure I understand... remove the /usenewloader flag?

note:

running fixntfs -xp fixed the menu, only 2 choices, lh and xp, but when choosing longhorn, it hangs at black screen. (problem finding lh bootloader?)

after running fixntfs -lh, original bootmenu returns with 1 xp and 3 lh.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem with Longhorn and XP dual boot menus/loaders (XP on logical C: & LH on Logical D:). LH seems to use its own file(s) like XP's boot.ini to store the text option and boot commands on the first boot menu before the normal XP boot manager screen. (Thinks two layers: 1st Layer is LH Boot Loader 2nd is XP Boot Loader)

Does anyone know where to go and what the files are that the NEW LH Boot Loader uses so that they can be manually edited/fixed?

So far I have removed the LH Boot Loader using the fixntfs.exe -xp command but LH fails to boot after this is done (hangs on black screen). Also I have found out that if you ?check all boot paths? on boot.ini file with the msconfig tool it tells you that the LH Operating System line

?multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Longhorn" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /USENEWLOADER?

IS INALID! Then gives you the option ?Do you want to remove it from c:\boot.ini? (even w/out the /usenewloader LH fails to boot from the XP boot loader). Furthermore LH loads fine even when this entire line is removed from the boot.ini file. This leads me to believe that even though LH enters a line for itself in the root boot.ini it is not really launching from there!?

I have given up on just having one boot manager with both LH and XP. Now I am just trying to remove the multiple lines of LH in the (1st Layer) LH Boot Loader screen, restoring it to the first install state.

So far I have tried formatting the D: drive and reinstalling LH beta 5231, but wherever the LH Boot Loader Menu information is stored in is not on the partition with LH itself.

Anyone have a clue as to where this separate LH Boot Loader information is located? I am sure it is a simple file, like the root boot.ini, but have no solid data as to where to start looking.

Thanks for your help and instruct:blink: /:blink:nk: :blink: :y:pinch:es:pinch:ch: :pinch:

there is no more boot.ini (not for vista anyways). use bcdedit to modify the boot entries.

586831220[/snapback]

Thanks for the command. The "bcdedit" command seems to be just what I was looking for. It displays all the Longhorn/Vista and XP boot information from both boot loaders.

I am going to try to remove the unwanted entries. Wish me luck. :no:

Thanks for the killer info. man u rock!

:D :D :yes: :yes: :D :D

Thanks again "trance" it worked tremendously!

I was able to remove the duplicate LH entries and even set the default boot identifier.

The DOS prompt however is the slowest and most frustrating way to edit this type of information. It worked, so I will stop winning but DOS Commands blow.

Thanks and kudos. I will be posting this "bcdedit" command to other beta testers that I know are having the same boot loader issues.

Great stuff thanks.

:devil: :devil: :ninja: :ninja: :devil: :devil:

• 2 weeks later...