For those of you that want a free IPB...

Question

A lot of people say where can I get a free IPB 2.0 or 2.1, well the simple answer is no!

But here is alternative it isn't IPB but iceBB very similar to IPB because it was created by developers who left the IPB team when it became a paying service.

Anyway have a look http://icebb.net/

25 answers to this question

/me notes that MutantMonkey, one of its main developers, is 14.

I'd wait until it's been out a while before using it. I'm not quite sure how professional their developers are.

Just out of curiousity, which IPB developers are developing it?

586799730[/snapback]

I don't think they are actualy IPB deveplopers I think they were people that did MODS and Skins but there is a list on iceBB.org

If I were you, I'd try MyBB before trying this - it's very similar to IPB in terms of interface and management and it's out of beta now, all they're doing now is fixing minor bugs.

wctaiwan

If I were you, I'd try MyBB before trying this - it's very similar to IPB in terms of interface and management and it's out of beta now, all they're doing now is fixing minor bugs.

wctaiwan

586813233[/snapback]

MyBB is good I think it is the phpBB.

MyBB is good I think it is the phpBB.

586813271[/snapback]

I actually think it's better than phpbb.

Although its in its RC2 phase, it certainly is much more user friendly than phpbb. Alot more functions and flexibility in tersm of board settings as well. Portals are installed by default, and subforums are a norm (not acquired by a modification).

Example of myBB Portal page By default

/me notes that MutantMonkey, one of its main developers, is 14.

I'd wait until it's been out a while before using it. I'm not quite sure how professional their developers are.

586784868[/snapback]

Your problem is? I was doing professional Tech support, at the age of 13

isnt MyBB the one that was accused of stealing code from vBulletin? I don't know how valid those accusations were, but it was all taken seriously.

586836172[/snapback]

After having a look around it seems they were accused of copying the style of VB, but then who doesn't. There code is 100% there's.

After having a look around it seems they were accused of copying the style of VB, but then who doesn't. There code is 100% there's.

586836330[/snapback]

adding on, if anything, its more like IPB than it is to vBulletin. The first thing that comes to mind about myBB controls is that the ACP is in a very similar format. But hey...its free. :)

wctaiwan

586813233[/snapback]

Yeah, MyBB seriously rocks.

586836330[/snapback]

Ah, I see what they mean about the style. Even the php files have similar names. Eg; forumdisplay.php, showthread.php, newreply.php etc.

Ah, I see what they mean about the style. Even the php files have similar names. Eg; forumdisplay.php, showthread.php, newreply.php etc.

586860109[/snapback]

Altough what else are you going to call them?

Altough what else are you going to call them?

586860625[/snapback]

Invision and phpbb came up with different names that make sense... viewforum, viewtopic etc. dont get me wron,g I think MyBB is great. But it's a bit obvious where they got inspiration for their filenames from :p

Invision and phpbb came up with different names that make sense... viewforum, viewtopic etc. dont get me wron,g I think MyBB is great. But it's a bit obvious where they got inspiration for their filenames from :p

586863889[/snapback]

To be honest I could not give a f**K myBB is the hottest forum on the block and if they get a community like phpBB behind them they will be big, that is the only reason that phpBB is big because the community, 100's of themes and 1000's of mods it what makes phpBB what it is.

This both myBB and iceBB weak spot they don't have the community behind them yet, and they do need it to have success when I got a forum software's site I look how active and how many registered users they have iceBB 285, myBB 2,360, phpBB 219,792.

If they want to win the battle of free forum software they need a community and they need before phpBB 3 comes out otherwise people like me and the 200,000 phpBB users they need to do it now because we are losing faith in phpBB because ones like myBB have a lot more features than phpBB 2 (which came out in April 2002) and do have tighter security.

Well that's my 2 pence (UK Person) ;)