Sony's rootkit violates the LGPL

http://dewinter.com/modules.php?name=News&...article&sid=215

The spyware that Sony installs on the computers of music fans does not even seem to be correct in terms of copyright law.

This software is licensed under the so called Lesser Gnu Public License (LGPL). According to this license Sony must comply with a couple of demands. Amongst others, they have to indicate in a copyright notice that they make use of the software. The company must also deliver the source code to the open-source libraries or otherwise make these available. And finally, they must deliver or otherwise make available the in between form between source code and executable code, the so called objectfiles, with which others can make comparable software.

How stupid can they be :wacko:

Sony got themselves in to this mess, and personally I'm of the opinion that they will get what they damn well deserve.

I have no objections to DRM. I have no objections to CD's that can only be played in a PC via special piece of playing software. I *DO* object to being mis-led by the company who provides those disks.

Having said all of this, I wonder if it should be Sony who are being picked on. If they licensed the technology from a 3rd party, shouldn't our anger be directed at those who actually devised the software, rather than simply those who licensed it?

Well unfortunately, they aren't really "pwnt" until someone successfully sues them.

I hope their brain damaged DRM will cost them some real money too.

Actually, I've been wondering if they're violating the Windows EULA.  But no one seems to be talking about that.

586811810[/snapback]

Only a user can violate the EULA. Sony can't violate the Windows EULA. Sony isn't the user of the computer. Hence the term "End-User License Agreement".

Actually, I've been wondering if they're violating the Windows EULA.? But no one seems to be talking about that.

586811810[/snapback]

Only a user can violate the EULA. Sony can't violate the Windows EULA. Sony isn't the user of the computer. Hence the term "End-User License Agreement".

Edit: whoops server lag double post. Delete this one