FireFox 1.5 Using Too Much Resources?

Hey, is anyone's FireFox 1.5 at first uses about 64000K (that's what FF is using on my comp atm)

and then grows to 100,000K?

At that point, it makes my computer so slow (because I use a lot of other apps at the same time), which forces me to restart FireFox.

Just wondering, is it only me ... or some other people experiencing the same?

Yep I got the same memory usage with about 6 tabs I would get around 98k( FX 1.51 BTW), so I just stuck with opera.

I would recommend looking for optimized builds for your specific processor. Or check Bangbangs23 build as well :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I was using bangbang023's build, but it's just so buggy since it's off of the 1.6a1 stuff. I'm going to wait a few weeks until the stability improves.

Firefox 1.5 is usually 10-20k lower than 1.0, so they're making progress. I read an article that discussed how most of Firefox's memory problems have to do with how it handles images (it keeps images uncompressed and loaded at all times, even when that tab isn't active or even when you close the tab)

I think extensions play a roll as well. But yea they got some improvements to make, for sure. Can't wait till they do. I don't run a lot of things at once, so it's not been a real problem for me. I can see where it would if I did though.

There's a reason for the high memory usage. Fx stores in your memory most of the files used to render all the webpages you are visiting. It stores all the images in an uncompressed format, so if you have lots of tabs open, it sure does add up! (I had FF running at 95 mb when I had 25 tabs going) There is a fix for the uncompressed image problem, but it only works in linux.

On top of that it does something called prefetching(at least I think that's what it's called), where the browser predicts what links you are likely to visit and starts downloading ahead of time in order to speed up page loading. you can disable this feature if you want to.

The third reason for high memory usage is you having too many extensions enabled.

Hope that was somewhat helpfull (and i didn't botch the information).

Cheers,

Tacoman

Edit: Sorry B4L1STA, I didn't see you had also posted about the uncompressed image thing.

Edited by tacoman

Well ... I do have quite a few extensions installed ... :/

IE Tab, Net Usage Item, Answers, SessionSaver .2, Compact Menu, DownThemAll!, Tabbrowser Preferences, Image Toolbar, Fasterfox, Talkback, Adblock Filterset.G Updater, GooglePreview, IE View, Gmail Notifier, Adblock

I guess I'll deal with it. I'll check out Opera, while IE7 is being prepared for Beta 2 release :D

Mines up to 153k at the moment. I hadn't paid attention till it was mentioned here. That is insane. I think they had better be fixing this long before version 2.0 or they are going to lose a ton of people they won over.

Edit: It looks like Internet Explorer uses about 30k for each window opened. But it still seems ridiculous for firefox to need to use so much memory. Opera I just loaded now and see that its FAR better than Firefox or IE for how much memory it uses.

Edited by TC17

If people were like you RaisinCain, there would be no improvements in the world. Everything would be fine just because its working. We wouldn't have faster CPUs or smaller mp3 players ... because a 386 works, and a cassette player works.

On my computer atm ... FireFox uses 72,668k and Opera uses 13,072k (With the same pages loaded. For me, sometimes it peaks at 10x,xxxk)

If people were like you RaisinCain, there would be no improvements in the world. Everything would be fine just because its working. We wouldn't have faster CPUs or smaller mp3 players ... because a 386 works, and a cassette player works.

On my computer atm ... FireFox uses 72,668k and Opera uses 13,072k (With the same pages loaded. For me, sometimes it peaks at 10x,xxxk)

totally agree with you. of course we need to nitpick about things, otherwise where will advances come from? especially since we are talking about a problem this obvious and this big. think about those people that only have 512mb of ram. 100mb+ is about 1/5 of their resources already, and that's not even the amount they have to start with because of windows.

as for my firefox's mem usage... mine is actually okay, around 40mb or so. then again, i still on 1.0 since i've got it down to the way i like and don't want to deal with redoing the visual hacks, etc.

I had the same plus another problem, it uses 100% CPU time, while it is loading (Which is not normal in my case), after loading, and during.