*WARNING* Latest Window Updates BREAK Windowlind 5

I know this may sound far fetched but last night automatic updates came through and rebooted my box. When I awoke I logged in and saw that my screen was all garbled. I rebooted again to see if it was a fluke. Same thing. The these I was running was Kol's Vista 3.1. So obviously I switch to iFlex. Same thing. The theme is again all garbled. I switch to an older theme with NO transparency and the same thing. I then proceeded to Uninstall Windowblinds and nuke eveyrthing related and reinstall. To no avail. On my desktop I am running a 100% LEGIT version of Windowblnds 5 Enhanced. I then went to mininova and dowbloaded warez copy of Windowblnds 5 to install on a laptop with an ATI card. I installed it and i worked fine. I then went to Windows Update and installed all updates. SAME outcome. Now Windowblinds 5 no longer works on the Dell Latitude with an ATI card. By the way my desktop has an Nvidia Gefore4 4000 MX. All the feaures for the new Windowblinds 5 works fine on that..well except after updating no it no longer works at all. So I have another laptop. It has an Intel extreme GF card. I installed the same warez copy on this laptop as I did on th previous. I then again went to Windows Updat site an dowloaded and installed ALL updates. Windowblinds 5 sezies to work on that mchine now as well. Anyone have the same experiences? And please lets keep the flaming to a minimum about the fact I used a ware copy on boht lapies. It's quite irrelavent and was for testing purposes only. Again i will STRESS that I own a 100% LEGIT version running on my desktop.

Edit: Please see this thread for actual problem.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=409335

Same problem here ... I had not done the tests though until you posted your thread but indeed latest Update screwed up Windowblinds 5 Enhanced and obviously KoL's VistaXP 3.1 ... have gone back now to the msstyle version due to the fact that I rather secure the machine than run the latest windowblinds visualstyle.

Interesting, I too found this to happen, I don't use windows blinds or any other application that allows skinning or visual styles outside of xp, I did a slipstream xpsp2 and added the patched uxtheme.dll.

I had my desktop turned to grey like windows 9x.

I have tried reinstalling on all three machines to no avail.

I dont want to sound like some schizo paranoid "MS is evil and out to stop themes like Kol's" but damn as of MS's attack on Kol and a few other themers I wouldn't count this out.

this wouldn't be an attack on Kol's themes smart guy...this would be an attack on the entire custom theme commonity and Stardock (Windowblinds Owner). ...I am sure this is just a bug that will get fixed soon. Did you guys report this bug to Microsoft?

I installed WB5 the day it was released. I *was using Vista 3.1 by Kol. I downloaded and updated the Decemeber patch the day it was released. Everything was working fine before 1 hour. I played NFSMW and restarted the PC and wow a garbled thing on the screen.

I couldnt see my taskbar .... even right click would take 2 mins to open with a garbled image. then restarted and tried to fix several times no luck.

went to safe mode unintsalled wb5 ... restarted pc back in normal mode and here i am using windows classic skin and posting on neowin.

was there a time-bomb kinda thing in the wb5 ? well i am using not so legit version to be frank.

I am having the exact same problem...I can't believe this s#!t from MS...the thing that scares me is that I did NOT run any updates for a good while (at least 2 weeks) and today when I wake up, opening up a window takes an infinite amount of time (I didnt wait, but had to go through 10 mins of hell trying to close my frozen apps that were trying to open and apply the VistaXP theme). I then booted to safe mode, uninstalled WB5 on my machine, and now im back at the same crap...Windows Classic/Media Center/XP style ONLY. This is MY machine and I want to make it look like WHATEVER I WANT. Who the hell is MS to decide what happens AFTER i purchase a legit copy of WinXP? Lately I've had a better opinion of MS, but now thats all starting to change...

I know that this post of mine is gonna make damn near NO difference, but like, what the hell MS? I don't even use the explorer shell, but rather LiteStep, so my Windows is already customized to hell. Who ****ed in your cheerios this morning that you decided to kill the modding/skinning community that helps Windows to look MUCH MUCH more intriguing than how it comes out of the box. YOU SHOULD BE EMBRACING, NOT SABOTAGING!

Again, this is just my 2 cents, cuz I don't expect any multibillion dollar monopolistic company to change their ways and actually do something good for the consumer/end-user, but it would be really nice.

-scar

I will give everyone who has this problem a little hint. Only those using cracked copies of WB are having this problem...

If you like WindowBlinds please consider registering it. Its not expensive ($20) and your money goes to support the development of the app. Without people registering WB we would not have per pixel frames now.

Easy way to remove WB : Reboot in safe mode, uninstall WB. Purchase & install WB, reboot and everything is back skinned.

Oh and in the unlikely event that any paying customer is having this problem, please contact support@stardock.com providing your details and they will be able to assist you.

I have the same problem, I managed to get a pic of the aftermath that was my desktop :(

Screenie

Btw Neil Banfield, did you read the first post? He said he tested his legal copy and an illegal copy and had the same result

Edit: Just checked my laptop, which has WindowBlinds 4.5 and that's working fine after the updates, I'm guessing this is a WB 5 thing.

Edited by DaZmAnXt

I will give everyone who has this problem a little hint. Only those using cracked copies of WB are having this problem...

If you like WindowBlinds please consider registering it. Its not expensive ($20) and your money goes to support the development of the app. Without people registering WB we would not have per pixel frames now.

um did you read the first post?

Easy way to remove WB : Reboot in safe mode, uninstall WB. Purchase & install WB, reboot and everything is back skinned.

Oh and in the unlikely event that any paying customer is having this problem, please contact support@stardock.com providing your details and they will be able to assist you.

I have an official copy, but I'm still uninstalling. I agree that people shouldn't pirate software, but I don't agree with companies sabotaging peoples computers like this. :no: