[Guide] Remove 'My Sharing Folders'

Thanks for the original post and for the ones creating .exe and .bat files.

/EZ

The exe doesnt really do nothing except for executes the bat files or something for you, i was bored then i created an application just to do a simple Shell "bla.bat" in vb6.

You Don't Need the app Just run the reg files and click yes to add it to registry.

;)

And a mirror:

http://www.pulse-fm.com/files/MySharingFolders.zip

Thanks to Openpipe for providing my hosting for my website too :)

Or you can delete the registry entry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\My Computer\Name Space and it should keep your ability to use sharing folders.

5/5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im gonna try rewrite an application that does all this and try and get My Sharing Folders removed form My documents too as it comes back all time.

How do you delete 'My sharing folders' in the My documents folder?

Just choose to put received files on the desktop in the "Tools > Options > File Transfer" settings and delete the folder from "My Documents" or "user/Documents" if on Vista.

Delete the reg key located here

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\My Computer\Name Space

that will keep it from reinstalling it.

does anyone know how to do in 8.5 in vista?

i dont think you can right now.. i tried

regsvr32 -u -s "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1235.0517.dll"

WLM 8.5 just reinstalls it...

i tried deleting the registry key, and it reinstalls it.

i tried doing both, and it reinstalls it...

stupid WLM 8.5

Deleted the key in the registry and then run >> regsvr32 -u -s "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1235.0517.dll" ... and it worked

Tried restarting messenger and still no sign of sharing folders

Thanks

PS: Using WLMessenger 8.5

Deleted the key in the registry and then run >> regsvr32 -u -s "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1235.0517.dll" ... and it worked

Tried restarting messenger and still no sign of sharing folders

Thanks

PS: Using WLMessenger 8.5

what key, i cant find this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\My Computer\Name Space

what key, i cant find this:

click on run then type in regedit. From there just navigate the folders until you get to it via what you just posted.

Do not delete that key! The actual key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

But deleting that will also cause Sharing Folders to stop working.

Check the next post for proper workaround.

Edited by Ahmz055

If you want to hide the Sharing Folders icon from My Computer but keep Sharing Folders functionality then the correct value to modify is in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons\

Name: {FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

Value: 1

(1 hides it, 0 shows it)

P.S. This will be in the next build of A-Patch :)

Edited by Ahmz055

Looks like everyones having some problems, i'll have to re-write my tool so its just 2 buttons to enable/disable Sharing folders :)

If you want to hide the Sharing Folders icon from My Computer but keep Sharing Folders functionality then the correct value to modify is in the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons\

Name: {FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}

Value: 1

(1 hides it, 0 shows it)

P.S. This will be in the next build of A-Patch :)

When you add the DWORD Value at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons], it hides the Sharing Folders from all users.

When you add the DWORD Value at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons], it hides the Sharing Folders from the current user only.

Fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons]
"{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideMyComputerIcons]
"{FC9FB64A-1EB2-4CCF-AF5E-1A497A9B5C2D}"=-