A departure from OS X

its definatly good to see windows users switch to OS X because they are sick of Windows XP, but me ive started to dislike OS X, just because its now boring and the Mac itself cant be so customized aka remove componants (etc cpu's, mobos). Windows XP isnt a good OS IMO but at least i get the fun of fixing stuff, and i get to play latest games.

OS X is a great OS, its just because ive used OS X all the time i dont like it anymore, maybe when steve jobs has something good in OS X 10.5 then ill switch back till then its windows xp or maybe vista ;)

(P.S im thinking of selling the Powermac G5 Quad and iMac G4)

Ah, thats odd. I would have never thought i would see the day when a mac user switches to windows. What do you mainly use your computer for? testing software/ and such?

I am a mac user myself (Dual 2.0 Powermac G5) And I wouldn't switch back to windows. I need both :p The intel line of the apple products will be key. I will be able to run VISTA and OS X. If you do what I do, you need both :) I recommend OS X for designers and digital media creators. Windows for gamers, developers, and testers (people who like to play with software).

Hope your hardware sells :)

Edited by Enhanced

I did. I switched back to Windows/Linux after trying out an iBook for a year. By the end...not to slag on OS X/Apple, but it was sooooo boring. It was an iAppliance. Another big part of that decisions was just the general attitude and behavior of Mac users. *Any* problem I had, it was first assumed that it was my fault and nothing could ever be the fault of the machine or Apple.

That being said, when the mactels launch, I'm considering picking up an iMac just to test the waters again, but don't know how that will go.

I say do it, if you are more of a gamer than do it, of course you will be more please with windows in this field. I have a couple of friends who were also hardcore Mac users and, one of them that i keep in contact with switch to windows about a year ago, and hasnt looked back, he likes the availability of programs out there, and how easy it is to just find what you're looking for, also in the games section he loves it. He's not a avid gamer but, he does keep like 1 or 2 games on his pc. So go for it dude, im sure for the time you had a Mac it made you happy, but if you're just not satisfied then come back to this side, and if you're not happy here then wait till Vista drops, or just adopt Linux as your main OS. Good luck gettin rid of that quad g5 im sure it wont be that hard lol....

u bought a powermac g5 quad...to then shortly after get bored of it? Why do you needed so much power? You do/did Final Cut editing?

he is 14...i highly doubt it.

OSX is about productivity and not tinkering or games (though regretably). I can see why you would switch. I run XP for fun and games and OSX to get things done.

lol! you make me laugh...

we had dual G5 at uni lastyear... with shake, maya and final cut...

now this year they bought PC and they installed Fusion and Maya... people have now stopped complaining about speed and me, being an old Shake fanboy was amazed by the speed of Fusion 5 (a compositing software). And let's not get started with Maya... it's blazingly faster on a PC... it's not even comparable. Seriously, I'm glad I switched to PC...

we kept the mac for final cut because it is still a lot better than premiere, but that's pretty much the only thing we do with them now... Also we got systems with Autodesk Flame on it!! those are hot little puppies! :)

so please don't tell me mac are to get things done... that's a freakin myth now.

now this year they bought PC and they installed Fusion and Maya... people have now stopped complaining about speed and me, being an old Shake fanboy was amazed by the speed of Fusion 5 (a compositing software). And let's not get started with Maya... it's blazingly faster on a PC... it's not even comparable. Seriously, I'm glad I switched to PC...

we kept the mac for final cut because it is still a lot better than premiere, but that's pretty much the only thing we do with them now... Also we got systems with Autodesk Flame on it!! those are hot little puppies! :)

so please don't tell me mac are to get things done... that's a freakin myth now.

heh...but the amount of time it takes to keep those machines up and running is amazing...

Don't get me wrong, I work on the PC also, but with Final Cut, Soundtrack and such it just flys with a G5..dual core are the things of the past, we just recently got 2 Quad Core machines at the school and let me tell you.

WOW

I think ultimatly, I think the big thing for me and my Powerbook is that hell I don't remeber the last time I had to do any sort of system maintence...I mean I like my PC alot, but half the time I find my self runing Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus, Defrag, Reg Cleaner and the whole 6 yards...while me on my powerbook, I just switch it on and go...

I agree, both get the job done wonderfully, except, I do believe that using a Mac will get you there a bit quicker than the PC...

Honestly...when I get home everyday, I want to sit down to something that's simple to use and works. The Mac give me that without all the maintence duties. Its nice.

Woa, cool. What uni is that , Mtl ?

I did. I switched back to Windows/Linux after trying out an iBook for a year. By the end...not to slag on OS X/Apple, but it was sooooo boring. It was an iAppliance. Another big part of that decisions was just the general attitude and behavior of Mac users. *Any* problem I had, it was first assumed that it was my fault and nothing could ever be the fault of the machine or Apple.

That being said, when the mactels launch, I'm considering picking up an iMac just to test the waters again, but don't know how that will go.

ditto

I think ultimatly, I think the big thing for me and my Powerbook is that hell I don't remeber the last time I had to do any sort of system maintence...I mean I like my PC alot, but half the time I find my self runing Anti-Spyware, Anti-Virus, Defrag, Reg Cleaner and the whole 6 yards...while me on my powerbook, I just switch it on and go...

Yeah, because all those threads repeating the "fix your permissions" mantra must be a figment of my imagination.

:p

Yeah, because all those threads repeating the "fix your permissions" mantra must be a figment of my imagination.

:p

It doesn't take long, and people are split on the benefits of repairing permissions at all. Either way, can we agree that at the very least, OS X requires a bit less maintenance? ;)

i actually entered the computing world with Mac OS first (Mac OS 7.5) then OS 9 then OS X 10.2 upwards, i havent used Windows at home until like now. yeah im the 14 year old with a PowerMac Quad

It doesn't take long, and people are split on the benefits of repairing permissions at all. Either way, can we agree that at the very least, OS X requires a bit less maintenance? ;)

Yeah, very true. Defragging is the most annoying part of Windws IMHO. Although I must admit I've never fully understood how file permissions can just mysteriously get screwed up in OS X.

You keep your cute little stories and I will keep the knowledge that study after study shows people are more productive on the Apple platform. Next time, try setting up a render farm instead of just buying new PC workstations, that is what VT did when they needed real speed.. and not for render jobs.