Windows Meta File 0-Day PATCH ---

Dear Neowin:

Since many people have had problems with this nasty exploit and are giving their system un-needed problems by unregistering a DLL, please note this is no longer needed.

Here's why: (Courtesy of GRC.com )

Ilfak Guilfanov, well known in "reverse engineering" circles for his wildly popular IDA Disassembler, needed a temporary patch for his own system due to the seriousness of the WMF vulnerability (see RED box below) . . . so he wrote one!

Download Ilfak's Temporary WMF Patch

(291 kb ? for Windows 2000, XP/SP2 and 64-bit XP ONLY)

This safely and "dynamically patches" the vulnerable function in Windows to remove it and, after rebooting, renders any XP/SP2 or XP 64-bit system completely invulnerable to the Windows Metafile exploit.

If you have a compatible system this is what you should do until Microsoft has fixed the problem in Windows. You do NOT need to unregister the DLL as described in the RED box below.

You SHOULD REMOVE THIS PATCH after Windows has been officially updated and repaired.

To Remove: Simply open the Windows Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs", where you will find the "Windows WMF Metafile Vulnerability HotFix" listed. Remove it, then reboot.

Hope this helps anybody still having issues with this nasty thing!!!

Thanks GRC and Neowin!:):)

of those 70 some odd how many do you think are running the 64 Bit version of XP Pro - Whilst i cant use it cuz im not on x64 thx anyway

edit: read that wrong - its for x86 AND x64 - but i already unregistered the dll and as of yet havent any problems - but when i do run into any problems/instability ill use this :p thx

I can't get it, and I need it. Thanks for the link even though it didn't work. I'll try and get it elsewhere.