Scientifically Ergonomic Dark-Background Skins.

Can any expert here recommend from personal experience an ergonomic dark-background skin for WindowBlinds?

I am looking for a color scheme that has been scientifically designed with consideration for color theory and the visual mechanism (e.g. visual purple physiology).

Such a skin should be clear and restful, with highly legible text, and usable over long periods without tiring the eyes.

As a developer I spend extended periods in front of the monitor reading text. Of course, one can adjust at least the color scheme of individual programs - for example by using billw in Xemacs - but this does not address the overall ergonomics of the whole 'desktop'. Many programs default to a blinding white background which I find intolerable.

I think that the black-on-white schemes have more to do with fashion and a misguided search for 'modernity' than with ergonomics.

I suspect that a good color theme would be based upon a black background with muted green text - like the old vdus . (Since buying WindowBlinds a few days ago I've been using its Noire skin.)

Edited by _pF_

For starters, my suggestion would be to open the Windowblinds Configuration menu, pick a graphically pleasing skin, and then click on the "Change skin color" in the skin's view (in the example of a skin's window). The menu that comes up should give you enough color/grayscale/gamma alternatives with which to experiment. If this doesn't work out, your next move would probably be to get a copy of SkinStudio which would permit you to be a little more specific in your changes.

Good luck,

Art

Can any expert here recommend from personal experience an ergonomic dark-background skin for WindowBlinds?

I am looking for a color scheme that has been scientifically designed with consideration for color theory and the visual mechanism

As a devoper I spend extended periods in front of the monitor reading text.

Uhmm I see... I see. I know your feelings. I strongly recommend thisAquatone skin.

Use that skin, you will never regret!

I use Royale Five Color Mod set on black, while I don't think it was designed with ergonomics in mind, it definitely works. Text is always very easily legible, the gradients used are never high contrast and I always end up going back to it. I have been using it for a long time now, simply because others seem harder to use, and the colours on this one are very easy to get used to. It also looks really nice.

It's Uxtheme.dll, not sure if it would work with Window Blinds, but you could just use the UXtheme patcher.

I use Royale Five Color Mod set on black, while I don't think it was designed with ergonomics in mind, it definitely works. Text is always very easily legible, the gradients used are never high contrast and I always end up going back to it. I have been using it for a long time now, simply because others seem harder to use, and the colours on this one are very easy to get used to. It also looks really nice.

It's Uxtheme.dll, not sure if it would work with Window Blinds, but you could just use the UXtheme patcher.

All you need to do is import it into SkinStudio and it'll automatically convert it to WB for you. http://www.stardock.com/products/skinstudio/downloads.asp

Have you given any thought to <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/16694839/">Antimatter</a>? It's not green on black, it's white on black, but it's a fairly pleasing minimalist skin that's easy on the eyes. I'd definately recommend the Tahoma font substyle, however, as the fonts he includes aren't the most legible.

I don't think many people have done much with scientifically designing skins, as it's a more artistic process generally.

Thank you for the suggestions, all interesting skins.

On a cursory trial I found Aquatone to be too fussy with its patterned backgrounds, but generally clear apart from the control buttons. I very much liked Antimatter Tahoma in theory, but had trouble with some of the tiny fonts that didn't resize. I'll certainly examine this skin more closely.

I'm currently using Royale Five Color Mod Tahoma (also set on black), which has exceptionally clean text against all backgrounds; a lucid skin that feels snappy in performance for some reason. I like it a lot.

(Whilst on the subject of ergonomics I'd recommend a mono spaced programmers' font, HVRaster.)