CPU: AMD Athlon 2600

Mobo: Abit NF-7

RAM: 2x 256MB DDR

HD: Maxtor 80 GB (6Y080L0)

Graphics: ATi Radeon 9250

Sound: Creative Audigy 5.1

Optical: CDRW/DVD Combo Drive

PSU: 400W Q-TEC

I was getting loads of BSODs with each one different (win32k.dll, system32.dll, ntfs.dll along with multiple stop errors) so I reinstalled Windows. I was then getting BSODs in Windows Setup and also the recovery console - which made me think this was some kind of major hardware error.

I eventually got Windows reinstalled, and all updates applied and I was still getting the errors, so I replaced the Heatsink and fan (thinking maybe it was overheating or just dodgy), PSU (thinking it wasnt giving enough power, or fluctuating the power) and Graphics Card (the fan had stopped working, so it needed replaced anyway). Still getting BSODs. I removed a CD Drive (had a CDROM and CDRW/DVD previously) and put the HD and CDRW on separate IDE Cables. Still getting BSODs. I eventually found on the motherboard drivers CD a program called Hardware Doctor - this was reporting my VIO Voltage was low (about the 3V~ mark. I don't think this will be due to PSU failing, since this is a brand new PSU and the BSODs occured with the old PSU too).

BSODs are occuring very randomly (and always have), and I cannot predict when they will occur. I first noticed them when trying out Need For Speed Underground (I'm not a big game player, but I borrowed this from a friend), but then BSODs started occuring when playing MP3's, running MSN Messenger or just sitting idle. Currently, BSOD is Stop Error: 0x0A, the system then makes a dump file and reboots - usually rebooting a couple of times before it actually comes back up - presumably, this issue is still occuring for a while before it can come back up.

I have loads of dump files if anyone knows how to read them and can tell me the problem.

It seems the only things I haven't replaced are mobo, cpu and hd and RAM.

"HDD Health" reports the Drive is fine and I would think that if it was a CPU problem I would notice high CPU temps or just no booting. I have ran memtest for hours without any errors (and I have tried having each stick of RAM in separately without any difference.).

Please help! This is driving me crazy! I am about to take this to IdealComputing (www.idealcomputing.co.uk) to see if they can fix it, but I don't want to spend lots of money on getting it assessed if they cannot fix it or if I will be cheaper just buying a new computer.

Edited by vandango

Sorry to sound obvious, but did you check your hard drive IDE cable ? A loose cable will cause all sorts of write errors. Also, try replacing the cable with a new one. Sometimes the wires can be degraded inside the insulation with little to no visible damage.

I know you've replaced your PSU, but my computer was fine, until I added in a 3rd hard disk, then I started getting loads of STOP errors all the time.

It turned out that my PSU wasn't supplying enough power - I put a better PSU (more amps) in, and now it's fine. Try disconnecting some of your unnecessary components, Eg. floppy drive, CD drives, extra HDDs and see if you get the errors, as less power will be being drawn from the PSU.

whitedragon - I have tried replacing it before, with an older one. But I will try replacing it with the IDE cable from my PowerEdge (since I know that definately works) and see if it makes a difference. Is there anything you can recommend I can try to see if it is the IDE Cable causing it (ie, what can I do that may crash it with the old cable and shouldnt with the new one)

Schnitzel - I currently only have what is in the system specs in the first post in the machine. I will try removing the CDRW/DVD from the machine if what whitedragon suggested doesnt work, but I dont think it will make a difference since the powersupply in the machine should be sufficient.

Also, what does the VIO Voltage actually mean? Is it dangerous that it is reading lower than recommended?

I found that the 4-Pin connector from the power supply to the Motherboard was not connected, although the large connector was. It seems to be stable now (hasnt crashed all day). I'll see how long this lasts for.

Above solution didnt work, system still BSOD last night and just has today - load was quite low too.

I've replaced the IDE cable with a known working one and it still BSOD. Only things in computer are HD, Sound Card and Video Card.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy!

What you could also try doing is removing all the extranneous devices in the system (sound card, extra HDs (at least disconnect the cables to them), and maybe a stick or two of memory) and boot with the bare minimum. If it works fine, then you know that those aren't the culprit(s). Next, start plugging in the remaining devices one-by-one until you get the errors. That should narrow things down at least a little bit. Also, have you tried reading the error reports in the Windows Event Log?

I know this may sound a bit "n00bish," but have you been able to remain in Windows long enough to run a virus scan? It may seem like a "How could it happen to me when...?" story, but it's better safe than sorry.

System crashed again.

Ive removed the sound card now to see if that helps. Currently just: Video Card and HD plugged in and two sticks of 256MB. The RAM passed memtest with no errors (ran it with both sticks in, and each stick separately).

lurid - I highly doubt it is a virus since I got BSODs in the recovery console and Windows setup. But I ran a NOD32 scan with latest definitions and it picked up nothing.

The usual error (as reported in Event Viewer) is:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	System Error
Event Category:	(102)
Event ID:	1003
Date:		16/01/2006
Time:		20:56:48
User:		N/A
Computer:	CHRIS
Description:
Error code 1000000a, parameter1 760c7d3b, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804eb3eb.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 30	1000000
0020: 61 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   a  Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 37 36   eters 76
0030: 30 63 37 64 33 62 2c 20   0c7d3b, 
0038: 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 32   00000002
0040: 2c 20 30 30 30 30 30 30   , 000000
0048: 30 30 2c 20 38 30 34 65   00, 804e
0050: 62 33 65 62			   b3eb	

Latest Crash was:

Event Type:	Error
Event Source:	System Error
Event Category:	(102)
Event ID:	1003
Date:		16/01/2006
Time:		21:26:25
User:		N/A
Computer:	CHRIS
Description:
Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf804a23, parameter3 b36d0b94, parameter4 00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45   System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72   rror  Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65   ror code
0018: 20 31 30 30 30 30 30 38	1000008
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d   e  Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 63 30   eters c0
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 35 2c 20   000005, 
0038: 62 66 38 30 34 61 32 33   bf804a23
0040: 2c 20 62 33 36 64 30 62   , b36d0b
0048: 39 34 2c 20 30 30 30 30   94, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30			   0000	

Any other ideas guys? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also: when it crashes, it goes into a reboot-spaz and reboots a few times before Windows will actually come up properly.

System just crashed again, even after I've removed the sound card.

I really think it must be the motherboard if its causing errors with hardly anything in the system.

Any other ideas people? This is really screwed up!

Download memtest86 and check the RAM. Pull one stick and check each individually.

i'm with him on this, this sounds soo much like a bad ram problem

this looks more like bad clusters or something, use a error detction tool on your drive and see if something missing there or corrupted.

or if you installed a new update or some done automaticly take a look at them. some updates sometimes cause's crashe's

Source System

Type Error

Description Error code <error code>, parameter1 <value>, parameter2 <value>, parameter3 <value>, parameter4 <value>.

Things to understand What are the Windows error codes?

Comments Adrian Grigorof (Last update 10/6/2003):

Most of the problems leading to this event indicate faulty hardware, bugs in device drivers or incompatible hardware.

A troubleshooting approach from a newsgroup post: "Boot from CD to start the Recovery Console, then read setuplog.txt, and setupapi.log, to see what happens when it boots.

Another newsgroup posts suggests that this error requires the debugger to look at the parameters of the error. Usually this is some hardware driver failure. Running 'verifier' may identify it. Article Q244617 - How to Use Driver Verifier to Troubleshoot Device Drivers in Windows 2000 may help."

Error code 0000000a = "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" - The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS. For additional details see the link to error code 0x0000000a.

Error code 00000020 = "KERNEL_APC_PENDING_DURING_EXIT" - May indicate a bug in a device driver. For additional details see the link to error code 0x00000020.

Error code 00000050 = "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" - See the link to error code 00000050 for information about what may cause this.

Error code 0000009c = "MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION" - This indicates that a fatal machine check exception has occurred. See also Q162363 and error code 0x0000009c.

Error code 000000ce = "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS" - This indicates that a driver failed to cancel pending operations before unloading. If the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen.

Error code 000000ea = "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" - A device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself, or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. In many cases this is the result of a bad video card or a bad display driver.

Error code 1000007f = "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M" - The first parameter displayed on the blue screen specifies the trap number. Trap number 0x00000000, or Divide by Zero Error, may indicate memory corruption. Other hardware problems, or software failures can cause this error. See the the link to Bug Check codes for more explanations about various trap numbers.

Error code 1000008e = "KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M" - Most of newsgroup comments about this error point to faulty hardware or drivers. The hardware varies from modems, video cards, USB device to memory or sound cards. Sometimes it proves to be hardware that it is not compatible with Windows XP. Q310740 gives an example of this error occuring when and old Audigy sound card driver is installed.

Error code 100000be = "ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY" - This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment. If the driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen. A faulty device driver would typically be the cause of that. Also, potential file corruption.

Error code 100000ea = "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M" - This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. See the information for 000000ea.

Error code 0000007F = "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" - From a newsgroup post: "According to Q104292, there are two known causes for this error:

- corrupt system files, especially file system files

- mismatched memory or motherboard problem

This error generally occurs during boot, with no parameters specified except the first one. Suggested troubleshooting is to run repair to check for corrupt files, then low-level hardware diagnostics (including diagnosing RAM and the motherboard)." See also the link to error code 0x0000007F.

Error code 0x10000050 = Some information about this type of error can be found via the error code 0x10000050 link.

Ionut Marin (Last update 2/18/2004):

- Error code: 0x00000050 = "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" - See Q817197.

- Error code: 0x0000001E - See Q820767.

- Error code: 0x000000A5 - See Q831691.

Anonymous (Last update 11/10/2003):

In my case, the error occurred after installing Kingston HyperX KHX3200/512 in a P4C800 and activated performance mode in BIOS. After I disabled Performance Mode, the problem disappeared.

Christian Garbass (Last update 10/17/2003):

Error code 0000007f = "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" - When I remote controlled a machine with Altiris Carbon Copy 5.8.410 and tried to open a shortcut on the desktop of the controlled machine it caused the machine to hang up and to reboot.

Isd503 (Last update 9/22/2003):

Error code 0000007f = "UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP" - This error surfaced on my machine running Windows XP Professional, SP-1. I tried the suggestion of setting the virtual memory to zero and rebooting. After logon, I recreated the page file and the problem dissapeared.

Adrian Florin Moisei (Last update 5/15/2003):

Error code 000000d1 = "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". A faulty device driver would typically be the cause of that. See also the comments for event id 1001 from "Save Dump".

Error code 000000c2 = "BAD_POOL_CALLER" - See Q265879 link below.

Error code 00000044 = "MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS" - See Q196022, Q296734 and Q294876.

PaulD

Windows XP SP1 resolve this issue. See Q317277.

Birol | AKBAY

In my case, this error for a motherboard using Bus Mastering and a NIC that does not support Bus Mastering. When Bus mastering is disabled from BIOS, this type of error went away.

Anonymous

With error code 100000ea, this occured in my case due to a faulty video card.

Charlton Wang

From the net, someone mentioned setting the Virtual memory to 0 and then reboot, delete the pagefile.sys file. Then set the virtual memory back to normal. It worked for me.

Axton

Turned out to be BlackIce v2.9 causing blue screen.

in addition to running memtest, download seatools from www.seagate.com or another DFT (drive fitness test) and run it to see if your hdd is ok.

im still thinking this is a thermal issue, have you checked temperatures? It may be a bad mobo, try replacing that with another one. Try resetting BIOS options to failsafe, then recheck settings.

I don't believe this is a heat or HDD problem. I used to have the same errors come up all the time, but specifically when I would play games. Now, I lowered the amount, but they still occur a lot (especially when dealing with USB storage devices and my CD/DVD drives - sometimes I'll put in a disc or USB drive and my computer will give me a BSOD). The first fix that seemed to work was to install ALL of your drivers on your computer before ANYTHING (even anti-virus software, which is what I think caused my drivers to corrupt). An underpowered PSU can also cause similar hardware problems, and just as easily cause a BSOD. In your specific situation though, I don't think your PSU is underpowered.

Now that I read the above post, this part stuck out to me:

Error code 1000008e = "KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M" - Most of newsgroup comments about this error point to faulty hardware or drivers. The hardware varies from modems, video cards, USB device to memory or sound cards. Sometimes it proves to be hardware that it is not compatible with Windows XP. Q310740 gives an example of this error occuring when and old Audigy sound card driver is installed.

You mentioned that same error code in your latest crash. The only thing I can reccomend is what I told you before - try to install your drivers before all, and make sure they're the latest ones.

Here's one more fix that may help, but I doubt it. This helped me greatly, but it still happens (my graphics card gives me mad graphical anomalies [like visual noise] all the time). In your BIOS, if there's an option named "Spread Spectrum" (it can be in AGP or CPU, and possibly another area), disable it. It's not required, and can cause a lot more hassle than it helps.

Download memtest86 and check the RAM. Pull one stick and check each individually.

I have done this already - no errors at all.

in addition to running memtest, download seatools from www.seagate.com or another DFT (drive fitness test) and run it to see if your hdd is ok.

I'll download this and try it now.

im still thinking this is a thermal issue, have you checked temperatures? It may be a bad mobo, try replacing that with another one. Try resetting BIOS options to failsafe, then recheck settings.

Temps are all ok.

Hardware doctor reports:

System: 26C

CPU: 44C

HDD Health reports:

HDD: 23C with no errors.

You mentioned that same error code in your latest crash. The only thing I can reccomend is what I told you before - try to install your drivers before all, and make sure they're the latest ones.

But surely I wouldn't get BSODs in Windows Setup and the Recovery Console due to Windows Drivers? When I reinstalled windows I did install all latest drivers before I installed anything else.

Here's one more fix that may help, but I doubt it. This helped me greatly, but it still happens (my graphics card gives me mad graphical anomalies [like visual noise] all the time). In your BIOS, if there's an option named "Spread Spectrum" (it can be in AGP or CPU, and possibly another area), disable it. It's not required, and can cause a lot more hassle than it helps.

I'll see if I can find anything like this in the BIOS, but I don't remember seeing anything.

The only things currently in my case are: Mobo + CPU, PSU, GFX Card and HDD. The PSU and GFX Card are new, so only the Mobo and HDD are left as culprits I would imagine - ill let you know what happens when I run a HDD test.

Used "PowerMax" from maxtor and the drive passed with no errors.

I couldn't find the setting you mentioned in the bios Breakthrough, but I went back to fail safe defaults (had to enable the onboard LAN, took me about 20 minutes to figure out why it wasnt working!).

As soon as it booted after doing all that it BSOD straight away for about 4 times (Windows wouldnt come up at all, booted into Safe Mode ok though) but it hasnt crashed since.

Hmm... doesn't look like anyone on here has anymore ideas :(

I'm thinking about taking it to a computer shop, to see if they can do anything with it (IdealComputing or Silicon Group) - but if its just a case of replacing the motherboard or something, I'd rather do it myself and save the money!

I'm having random BSoDs with my old SB61G2 lately.

I had it before, then I got a humongous 500W PSU and everything worked for a while.

After doing some jigsaw work, I think I've isolated it to my DVD/RW burner, and and external fan.

The power is piped through a single cable with 3 heads.

I've random problems with my DVD writer where once in a while, it failed to get detected in the BIOS.

I removed the fan altogether, then attach my DVD writer to a seperate power cable (right now, my shuttle is cluttered with cables)

System seems stable so far. It froze once (not blue screen, mouse cursor disappeared, screen no reaction), but I attribute it to having a game in the background and burning a CD at the same time :p

I'll monitor the situation.

Oh yea, vacuuming the m/b might help too, those dust bunnies have a nasty habit of messing with circuits :p

well since last week my computer has been acting really wierd. it will just freeze and stop responding, i resintalled windows and still the same :(

it usually happens when im watching tv on media center but has frozen like clicking an ok button or something like that. i tested my memory my drives and still nothing i dunno what could it be :(

Oh yea, vacuuming the m/b might help too, those dust bunnies have a nasty habit of messing with circuits :p

I'll try that next time it crashes. Annoying, it hasnt crashed today!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a motherboard to spare. A guy on my course is selling a Gigabyte motherboard with some other stuff (CPU, Case, PSU) for ?100 - but I dont want to buy it, put my HD, RAM, GFX and sound in it and find out thats its still faulty!