Ultimate desktop

• 3 weeks later...

Random desktop... thats amazing! Anything like this for windows?

don't know. I know if you activate active desktop in windows 98 your computer will crash (mine did when I ran windows). Perhaps there is a way to use active desktop to create this type of effects.

It's so cool. Basically how it works is that your install the screen saver called RandomWeb and then use the application Backlight to run the screensaver on your desktop. It's not ON your desktop, it's your desktop wallpaper, or background. RandomWeb searches tons of pages for whatever your want and then backlight does the rest.

You can even have it search a specific domain ex apple.com or do other functions. I use the phrase function. So say you wanted random desktops pics of I don't know a Ferrari. WHat you do is type in Ferrari in random web, start backlight and then you have pics of ferraris automatically. No work in finding them, no effort. This does ALL the work for you. You can also specify a file size, exmaple 1024x768 or 200x200 these are pixels. Pretty awesome. Took me a while to piece these together because I had the idea in my mind and then found the apps to do it.

Cheers

can we get a screen shot for the non-mac users?

picture18ai.th.png

tried shooting a movie but it was 20 megs. Basically you'll notice the green search performing in the lower right corner. The app backlight is the recycle icon next to spotlight. You can turn off the green search thing but I like how it looks.

ta

FYI. Backlight uses a lot of CPU. I'm on a 400 MHz G4.

picture14ow.png

I'll post the CPU usage once I install my 1.8 GHz 7447 (G4).

I tried running Seti @ Home and Backlight monopolized the CPU over the SETI engine.

FYI.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an application that will do this randomizing, but using only pictures I have on my mac?

Why not add a folder with your pics to the Desktop & Screen Saver Preference Pane and select the "Change picture every ..."?

picture13ql.png