Apple Boot Camp

indextop200604052oz.gif

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

As elegant as it gets

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

Run XP natively

Once you?ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That?s the ?alt? key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Edited by Neowave

Woahhh. I didn't expect this. Will test it later.

I wonder if they're using the method discovered by the winner of that contest?

HOLY SH!!!!!

from Apple?!?! WOW! :|

what about drivers? do they provide them?

edit: YES! they DO provide drivers :|

edit2: i just realized... blanka and that other guy got 13 grand for doing something that Apple'd do officially later on :p

looool!! Guess they thought if people are going to run windows on macs they might as get them to use mac software.

Next thing you know Apple will start shipping with Windows lol just kidding

You can even select Windows with Startup Disc in System Preferences and Apple made a Startup Disc control panel for Windows XP too. :|

Frankly I find it unbelievable why Microsoft didn't include something simple like that to switch between Windows startup discs.

And so it begins! The assimulation of the last outpost of differnet operating system.

Microsoft is the borg, resistance is futile.

More and more people are buying and loving Macs. To make this choice simply irresistible, Apple will include technology in the next major release of Mac OS X, Leopard, that lets you install and run the Windows XP operating system on your Mac. Called Boot Camp (for now), you can download a public beta today.

As elegant as it gets

Boot Camp lets you install Windows XP without moving your Mac data, though you will need to bring your own copy to the table, as Apple Computer does not sell or support Microsoft Windows.(1) Boot Camp will burn a CD of all the required drivers for Windows so you don't have to scrounge around the Internet looking for them.

System Manager

Optional alt. At startup, hold down the option key (alt) to choose between Mac OS X and Windows.

Run XP natively

Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

now if only microsoft provides a similar software to install Mac OS on a normal PC.....we'd save plenty of money on the expensive apple hardware n still manage to use the most powerfull OS

edited:

ooops i forgot MS wont do that just 'cause that would hurt them more as MS is a software company first and they wouldnt wanna start promoting Mac OS. In terms of APPLE Co. it works great for them....ppl buy there hardware which comes with pre-installed OS n they're makin $hit loads of money on it

Edited by hobier

I guess this just reaffirms that Apple is a hardware company. Microsoft, on the other hand, is a software company who would never offer a similar solution to install OSX on a PC (assuming you could even obtain OSX legally to do this).

I wonder if offering the ability to install Windows on a Mac was a big reason for Apple switching to Intel CPUs?

now if only microsoft provides a similar software to install Mac OS on a normal PC.....we'd save plenty of money on the expensive apple hardware n still manage to use the most powerfull OS

That would be illegal.

i think EVERYONE is happy.

Apple - Sells more machines cause people who were affraid of not running Windows now can run windows = more people buy Macs

Microsoft - Now Windows runs on Macs. Mac people who might need windows for something can now run Windows = more people buy Windows

Users - Now can buy a computer (Mac) that runs both OS X and Windows natively and happily choose between them :)

that's nice!

now I want to officially run OS X on my PC without having to buy a Mac :ninja:

Gotta love what Apple wrote on their Boot Camp site:

EFI and BIOS

Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Seen all the comments down the side slagging Windows off?

"Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries."

"Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it?ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes."