SkypeOut now free to US and Canada

"SkypeOut is now free within the US and Canada to all landlines and mobiles, until at least the end of 2006!!"

News

Frontpage news article

Prank calls to a new level!

It works fine for me, but apparently ip's starting with 7 are having problems.

Quote - (codezero @ May 16 2006, 02:37)

Hrm maybe its detecting your IP wrong or something.

Try testing these sites:

http://www.countryhawk.com/products/chawk/ (mine appears above as Your Country: United States (US))

http://www.ip2location.com/ (shows as USA)

Edited by ipodman715

Wow cool!

Can anyone confirm this for sure?

if you look at the rates still shows

USA $ 0.021

Canada $ 0.021

I know if says free, but don't want to tell a bunch of people and then they get charged and blame me! :(

awesome! im going to try it out..i wish they make it free forever lol

edit: OMG it works cool. i just called my house and it worked lol

Wow..that is awesome, I just called my mother in Maryland, the quality is excellent.

Did some more tests, the sound quality is just like a regular telephone..

Edited by xxhiroshi21xx

This is freaking awesome...why is this not frontpage yet? I mean, we even have Skype buttons for our sigs...I am so happy right now!

You guys think this should work if I call the US from another country?

From TFA:

If you?re in the US or Canada and calling any other country, OR if you?re in any other country and calling landline or mobile numbers in the US or Canada, the standard SkypeOut rates apply.

I'm unable to get it to work on my side. Says I need skype credit when I try to dial. =(

just click the dial tab and type:

+1 area_code phone_number

you must have the '+' before the 1

do not click the "Call phones" button and ignore the yellow space that says you need to buy credit

If it keeps on saying you need Skype credit, it is either a Router issue or ISP issue (wrong number format is a different error). It won't let you "ignore" that message unless it can verify you are in the U.S.

Some people got it to work by removing their router, not sure what setting it is.

The thread running in Skype shows a trend of everybody with an IP beginning in 7*.*.*.* not being able to call either (huge coincidence?).

The Skype website is totally getting hammered right now...everyone downloading it. :D

Good on them -- I use Gizmo but Skype has always been the King.

*downloads*

*EDIT*: I use Gizmo because I bought minutes. No other reason really....

I guess skype wanted to put the nail in the coffin now.

Now there is no reason to use the "out" feature on any of the following:

Windows live call (powered by verizon)

Gizmo

Yahoo Messenger with voice

P.S. those with a windows mobile device now have a free "cellphone" of sorts because this free deal also applies to the windows mobile version of skpye as well so anywere you can find an open hotspot you have a free telephone :D

Anyone knows if Skypes considers Puerto Rico as part of the US. I can't seem to get it to work although there are others in the US that can't get it to work either.

If it keeps on saying you need Skype credit, it is either a Router issue or ISP issue (wrong number format is a different error). It won't let you "ignore" that message unless it can verify you are in the U.S.

Some people got it to work by removing their router, not sure what setting it is.

The thread running in Skype shows a trend of everybody with an IP beginning in 7*.*.*.* not being able to call either (huge coincidence?).

Which thread are you referring to?

I have an IP starting with a 7, and I have the same problem :(