Apple sues Creative over patents.

WASHINGTON Apple Computer, maker of the iPod music player, is suing Creative Technology, raising the stakes in the legal dispute over competing devices.

Apple claims Creative Labs, the U.S. division of Creative Technology, infringes four patents in its hand-held digital players. The suit was filed in a Wisconsin District Court on May 15, the same day Creative filed a lawsuit and a trade complaint against Apple.

"Creative proactively held discussions with Apple in our efforts to explore amicable solutions," Phil O'Shaughnessy, a spokesman for Creative, said. "At no time during these discussions or at any other time did Apple mention to us the patents it raised in its lawsuit."

Creative filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission seeking an order to block imports of the iPod, most of which are made in China. A lawsuit the company filed against Apple in District Court in San Francisco is likely to be put on hold while the trade complaint is heard.

The iPod controls 77 percent of the U.S. market, compared with less than 10 percent for Creative.

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/18/business/ipod.php

Now, i just find this really funny, Creative sues Apple over 1 lame patent, and tries to get iPod's blocked from import in the states, and then Apple sues them over 4 patents.

Just going to have to wait and see if Apple's patents are valid.

no way apple would get bullied out of the market by creative without every resource apple has to save its best selling product.

Well if creative is actually violating those patents and there is a probable case, this might have been a smart move on Apple's part as in it could cause creative just to cut a deal with apple as opposed to going through with all of this stuff.

Oh no I hope Creative won't get ruined. X-Fi is to great chip to lose and they have always kept innovating the MP3 players, moreso than Apple, although the last years they have been trying to copy Apple to as they don't understand why consumers chose brand labels over anything else.

Anyone know what patents these are?

^ Actually Creative has patent of the GUI but it could have something to do with the touch. (Laptop mouse technology) Althought that's the single biggest thing I hate about every MP3 player because it's impossible to operate them wearing glowes.

This is going to be a very heated case, for sure.

I disagree. I think lawyers on both sides will give their heads a much-needed shake and settle this out of court, peacefully, without any bloodshed. It would be the easiest thing to do for both companies. Long, drawn-out court battles cost a lot of time and money, and both companies would be better off settling this quickly and quietly.

All this litigation nonsense is just causing a big fat loss to both companies :no:

Creative did get the drop on alot of good patents but Apple is dominating the hell out of what had been their market.

I think its funny that Apple was prepped and ready to give that counter-slap as soon as creative did it to them :D

I think its funny that Apple was prepped and ready to give that counter-slap as soon as creative did it to them :D

I agree. Very smart on Apple's part. This increases the chance that both companies will just "call it even" and back off each other.

haha, that's pretty funny actually. It's a shame, I like the Zen and I'd have gotten one if it didn't use that stupid plays for sure format.

haha, that's pretty funny actually. It's a shame, I like the Zen and I'd have gotten one if it didn't use that stupid plays for sure format.

uh, it plays mp3's and a variety of other formats that the iPod doesn't support. "Plays for Sure" is simply an indication that the device supports playback of DRM'ed wma tracks from windows media music stores.

Well if creative is actually violating those patents and there is a probable case, this might have been a smart move on Apple's part as in it could cause creative just to cut a deal with apple as opposed to going through with all of this stuff.

:yes: I just don't want the ipod's future ruined

This is an example of where a company only uses certain patents as a defence. Creative was foolish to think they could win.

They are losing money quarter after quarter.

:yes: I just don't want the ipod's future ruined

It wouldn't be ruined. If the court case wasn't going well the most Apple would do is settle and pay the license fees. iPod would never be taken off the shelves.

Well, I don't know which one you have, but I have a 6GB Zen Micro, and there are 2 firmwares, one with plays for sure, and one without it. I use the one without, much better and organized

uh, it plays mp3's and a variety of other formats that the iPod doesn't support. "Plays for Sure" is simply an indication that the device supports playback of DRM'ed wma tracks from windows media music stores.

Not always. I bought a bunch of wma's from AOL Musicnow, and even though I have the portable account, haven't been able to put the files in the Zen Micro, even after getting support from AOL. Needless to say I cancelled my account at AOL. Lots of music, but crappy service.