Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

africa_worldcup_germany_2006.gif

Well seeing as there are lots of posts on the World Cup in the sporting section, I thought it would only be right to make an Official World Cup Thread (which should be pinned).

With the World Cup starting three weeks today, we can look forward to a feast of brilliant football over the summer. All of the world's best players will be representing their nation in the 2006 World Cup. Can Brazil repeat their 2002 success and win the cup for a incredible sixth time?

Group A

Germany

Costa Rica

Poland

Ecuador

Group B

England

Paraguay

Trinidad and Tobago

Sweden

Group C

Argentina

C?te d'Ivoire

Serbia-Montenegro

Netherlands

Group D>

Mexico

Iran

Angola

Portugal

Group E>

Italy

Ghana

United States

Czech Republic

Group F>

Brazil

Croatia

Australia

Japan

Group G>

France

Switzerland

South Korea

Togo

Group H>

Spain

Ukraine

Tunisia

Saudi Arabia

Personally I think Brazil will win it, they have the best squad and the most experience. But the World Cup does not always work out the way you think;))

trophy.jpg

I'm looking in the short-term.

We (England) should be able to defeat Paraguay & Trinidad/Tobago. Sweden is the more challenging one, I think. Hopefully Rooney heals his damn self by then, lol.

By Ronaldo you mean Ronaldinho or Ronaldo

If you mean Ronaldinho then i voted right, if you meant Ronaldo, then your poll is missing a great player :laugh:

I meant Ronaldo, I would of put Ronaldinho as well but there are only ten poll options and Ronaldinho is more of an attacking midfield player.

Ronaldo as the best striker... Me doesn't think so.

// Who created this thread? :p

Ronaldo got the Golden Boot at the last World Cup... :whistle:

^ Indeed.

And Ronaldo is a few goals from the record (the player who scored most in the WCs).

Dont be surprised if he beat the record.

Go BRASIL !!!

Why England is so overrrated here? I didn't see they in the Euro and World Cup finals in last 10 years!

And here we go let's hype England amazing players to call competition BS after they go home in a crap desclassification.

Just 20 days remaining now :D

Can't wait for the world cup to begin. England should definitely do well this time. I believe they have the potential more than the previous world cup or the euro cup. Brazil of course are the favorites, but surprises do occur in football and I would love to see England beat Brazil in the semi final :D

Good Luck England. And hope Rooney recovers from his injury bloddy quick, coz not only the England squad will miss him, but the tournament as well. He is a player-to-watch player and should have been a big success. Anyways here is wish to Wayne a very speedy recovery :)

the winner i guess is clear, brazil kick asses with the ronaldinho kaka ronald and adriano atacking (even if they won't play together)

as golden boot ronaldo will get it cause he was all the season preparing to the WC with real and now he'll play as he used to

and the surprise will be IMO ivory coast, even if they're in the strongest group the have a great team and a very good coach, with a bit of luck they can beat anyteam (hope they don't do cause that will mean that argentina or holland are out)

Mr.obese ronaldo will never win the golden boot. :p

btw the czech can hardly be regarded as a 'surprise' team. they are ranked no.2 in the world.

mexico are the underdogs.

irans gonna beat the US in the knockout stages

Brazil or England winning cup.

Mr.obese ronaldo will never win the golden boot. :p

btw the czech can hardly be regarded as a 'surprise' team. they are ranked no.2 in the world.

I think the rankings are a pretty innacurate indication of the strength's of the teams. The US is ranked 5th, England 10th and Germany 19th (Egypt, Cameroon and Nigeria are ranked higher) :blink:

Spains squad is quite possibly one of the best there. Well balanced, experience, youth, energy, enthusiasim....they have it all. Possibly even better than Brazil.....but only because of Brazils questionable defence. I would like to see Spain do well but the hoodoo might get them again.

I personally think Italy have a top chance of winning it, well I did until the scandal. Then maybe the Czechs and Germans(home ground advantage is huge). I really dont think Brazil will win it this time around despite their attacking abilities. I tip Australia to upset :D and I hope England goes far too.....but I can't see England getting past the quarters personally.

winning while you play with 10 players and spain, if raul plays as it apears, plays with 10 and don't put the best ones on it like with rusia with albelda, sena and cesc, normaly it has to be albelda or sena cesc and iniesta

but well, dreaming is free

Iran beat Japan, it would be funny if they end up playing the US :laugh:

But England will win it just like '66.

They are second favourites to win the tournament for the first time since 1966.

Come on England!!!!

They are second favourites to win the tournament for the first time since 1966.

Come on England!!!!

And I wonder why they are favourites?

They were not by any means spectacular in the qualifying stages (didn't have a strong group either), I don't get it at all, the English team is great, lots of quality players, but they just don't perform like they should. I would not class them as favourites, they'd be 5th or 6th in my list at best, although I wouldn't mind seeing them win it.

On another note...will we ever stop hearing of 66? honestly it was 40 years ago, its time to put it behind us.

Edited by Hadez

Serbia & Montenegro are really strong team, i belive they will be the surprise, not to forget Croatia which has a well managed team.

I say go Togo ;)