6800GT Dead. Out of warranty

My 6800GT died about 9 weeks ago. I took it in to were I bought it and I was told it was still under Warranty and it would take 4-8weeks to get back. 9 weeks after I called in. (happened to be yesterday, 6/6/06 lovely day to get bad news). Turns out they had it back 3 weeks ago and just didn't call me but its not repairable and it can't be replaced because it's out of warranty. Pretty crappy that Leadtek only had a one year warranty on there cards.

What really bugs me off is 3 months after I first got the card it died and I had to send it in. Then I got it back and a year after that is when it broke (about 2 months ago now). I'm mad because it already broke once even though it's not under warranty they sold me a faulty product.

I'm going to contact leadtek seeing if I can get anything. Anyone here think I can get anything?

Also if I'm not able to get it fixed since my motherboard is AGP the best card now is the 7800GS for AGP.. How well dose it compare to the 6800GT? Anyone know some pages with tests between the two and maybe 6800 Ultra.

go to another store, buy the exact same model, and do the old switcheroo, et voila, by the time they realise, you'll bge at home with the working card and a new warranty :D

I had that exact same problem almost!! I returned my Leadtek 6800gt after a month or two after I got it because it stopped working. I"m having problems with the replacement I got too... Hopefully it won't die right after the warranty is up... I think it's up now actually... crap.

go to another store, buy the exact same model, and do the old switcheroo, et voila, by the time they realise, you'll bge at home with the working card and a new warranty :D

If you're going to do that I'd suggest you not call in for warranty work on the card. :whistle:

As far as calling Leadtek.. you have nothing to lose by contacting them and seeing what they will do for you... so def call them... and for your second question.... (i didnt look up any of the tests for the comparisons) but I have a BFG 7800gs and def feel its a great card I upgraded mine from a 5900 ultra though so its easy for me to say that.. but from what I remember reading the 7800 surpassed the 6800 ultra in some categories...

Hey, your post count was also 666 before you made this topic. Creepy huh?

Sorry for not replying with something useful.

Ya once I had 665 posts I made a post named "666 on 6/6/06" and stoped posting for the day :p

So let me see if I understand correctly... you bought a 6800GT, which died after 3 months, but because their RMA turnaround was so long they received it 9 months later thus making it out of warranty? contact the Consumer Affairs! that's bad business practice.

I might have to do that if I can't get leadtek to do anything because having a card I payed $600 (canadian) when I bought it really sucks just to have it completely dead.

I had that exact same problem almost!! I returned my Leadtek 6800gt after a month or two after I got it because it stopped working. I"m having problems with the replacement I got too... Hopefully it won't die right after the warranty is up... I think it's up now actually... crap.

Yeah from what I hear a few people have had this problem. I good luck to you. Personally I'm never buying leadtek again. One year warranty sucks some of the other manufacturers have 3 years and some have lifetime.

As far as calling Leadtek.. you have nothing to lose by contacting them and seeing what they will do for you... so def call them... and for your second question.... (i didnt look up any of the tests for the comparisons) but I have a BFG 7800gs and def feel its a great card I upgraded mine from a 5900 ultra though so its easy for me to say that.. but from what I remember reading the 7800 surpassed the 6800 ultra in some categories...

Yeah I'm going to call them first to see if I can't get something otherwise I'll probably do what "castor_troyuk" said :p

Hmmm well if it beat the 6800Ultra in some tests then it probably beats the 6800GT in all. I'll keep looking for a good comparison.

So let me see if I understand correctly... you bought a 6800GT, which died after 3 months, but because their RMA turnaround was so long they received it 9 months later thus making it out of warranty? contact the Consumer Affairs! that's bad business practice.

No you seem to be a bit confused. I'm not well at wording things so I don't blame you.

I bought the card.

3 months after it broke.

Took it to the store they sent it in.

Got it back fixed.

just under a year after I got it back it broke again.

Took it to the store again. They said it was still under warranty and it would be 4-8 weeks

9 weeks went by.

so I called the store and they said they had it like 3 weeks ago but didn't call.

Turns out the card was not under warranty anymore and it could not be fixed this time it needs to be replaced.

Ok well I bought a BFG 7800GS-OC 256MB AGP card today. BFG seems awsome stock overclocked cards and lifetime warrenty!

I'm still contacting Leadtek considering the card broke once under warrenty and then once out of i'm pretty mad at them. Hopefully I can get a new card from them and then sell it :p.

Once I get home I get to try out my new card.