Windows Vista Build 5456 Released

Microsoft has released a new build of Windows Vista, Build 5456. It contains quite a few performance upgrades, bug fixes, and several new features.

Some of the new features include a revamped Aero/DWM subsystem, and a completely overhauled and siginficantly less obtrusive UAP for all those that couldn’t stand the previous one. From what we have been told by Microsoft, the Time Zone bug that plagued all most all previous builds of Windows Vista has been patched, and quite a few fixes in the Regional Settings and IME have been patched.

Source: NeoSmart Technologies

Full Article: Windows Vista Build 5456 Released

On June 14, 2006, Windows developer Philip Su posted a blog entry which decried the development process of Windows Vista, statating that "the code is way too complicated, and that the pace of coding has been tremendously slowed down by overbearing process. " The same post also described Windows Vista as having approximately 50 million lines of code, with about 2,000 developers working on the product.

Christ on a bike, so many developers. No wonder they're getting lost with what's happening where!

Dude, WinFS is the least of MS' worries ATM.... Aero isn't good, UAP is too obtrusive, and the kernel is too damn buggy... WinFS was LONG pulled.

Yeah, it's NOT vector Aero (a myth as far as we're concerned), but it's faster.

It's all that matters (Y)

how long will it be until there are screenshots? although i guess from now until release there wont be many changes to the looks of vista just background improvements?

Is this avaliable to the public like Beta 2 was? :s

-Rich-

from the article:

This build is only being made available to technical beta testers (members of the Vista & IE7 program on Connect.com) and TAP members. MSDN and CPP members will not have access to this build (though it works with their existing product keys).

how long will it be until there are screenshots? although i guess from now until release there wont be many changes to the looks of vista just background improvements?

We're trying to get them up tonight/early tomorrow (+3 UTC).

But yeah, the past 4 or 5 builds haven't had any real changes to the display (especially since 5365)... but with a new aero subsystem glass may (hopefully) differ.

Question: Can you "update" from 5384 to 5456 without loosing personal settings / data etc or does this require a clean install?

nope. sorry ;)

Can anyone confirm that we can use the Beta 2 Public Keys for this new release :D ?

It will work, yes.

Can anyone confirm that we can use the Beta 2 Public Keys for this new release :D ?

I believe so:

These ISOs contain Windows Vista Ultimate, Home Basic, Home Premium, and Business Editions. The Product Key for Ultimate Edition is the one for 5342 and above, the rest use their respective Beta 2 keys (information courtesty of Microsoft Corporation).

I hope the speed in Aero Glass and games are better, in general Vista work good for me for a Beta, I had good performance in the 5381 but it could be better. About the changes in the desktop I don't think the revamped thing that Microsoft claims means a new desktop or theme, I think that is more in performance than appearance.

Downloading now... ;)

Screenshots please :shifty:

Edited by daniel_rh

is the updated Aero like it was back in BETA 1. I remember BETA 1 was a bit more transperant then beta 2.?

Also, i dont know if its my system or it the eway for everyone, but when you maxmize a window the glass part turns to balck. and sometimes Aero switchs to Basic mode and then back to Aero.

Was that fixed also?

Also, i dont know if its my system or it the eway for everyone, but when you maxmize a window the glass part turns to balck. and sometimes Aero switchs to Basic mode and then back to Aero.

Was that fixed also?

That's how it should be.

Things look more polished. Glass has been tweaked a bit. It looks slightly different. Old icons are fading away (eg those in Administrative Tasks). No bootscreen.

Edit: As a bug to this site itself, using build 5456 i cannot edit my signiture properly. The text input area is unclickable.

Edited by I8PP

Are there a great deal of changes other then those listed in the article on Neowin's front page? Because, maybe its just me, but 5384.4 to 5456 is a somewhat dramatic # change...

Things look more polished. Glass has been tweaked a bit. It looks slightly different. Old icons are fading away (eg those in Administrative Tasks). No bootscreen.

any screenshots?

Nice. If anyone has it installed already, can they share some stories about whether or not it's more stable, quicker to load, etc? I'm looking for performance stuff ... :D