[Request] Icon for an application i'm developing

Question

I like graphics and I'm used to design everything myself for every one of my projects, but the fact is, I was never anywhere near mediocre at designing icons and anoter fact is, I don't have time to spend on the graphics cause the application is taking too much of it already...

So, I'm here to ask, anyone interested with good graphic skills and a bit of free time, to help me out and design me an icon for some application i'm developing.

The application is called Networks Switcher. What does it do? Well... Suppose you have differente connections at work/school from the one at your home, like, different IPs, gateway, proxys and that kind of stuff. With my app you can create profiles with various settings for the local area connection and the wireless network connection and then, you can simply swap between those profiles and the need to change everything manually is no more.

That's basically what the application do. I could go on into the details but that is for a different topic on differnt sub forum for whenever the application gets released.

Right now, I could use a neat icon for it. For anyone interested in giving it a go, I want an icon with the following sizes: 128x128, 48x48, 32x32, 24x24, 16x16. An additional png file with no more than 256x256 (it's enough I suppose) would be nice so I can use it on the about dialog and on the website.

One thing though, I can't offer to pay anything for it as everything I do and make it available to the public is freeware (sometimes opensource), so, I don't earn anything with them...

Hope someone can help me out with interesting ideas, anyone is welcome to try...

Edited by Nazgulled

One thing though, I can't offer to pay anything for it as everything I do and make it available to the public is freeware (sometimes opensource), so, I don't earn anything with them...

That is your choice, but that doesn't mean that the time, effort and artwork put into it doesn't cost money. You could still make up the cost of the artwork with donations from paypal if the product is something people want to invest in.

I've got nothing to do with the art side of it because I'm no graphic artist, but looking at the economic side of things...I'd offer money to get the job done, whether you plan on releasing it as freeware of not. Just because you want to keep it free doesn't mean that other people have to offer their services for free as well.

Apps cost hundreds of dollars to make, even if they are freeware - sometimes thousands because of the labor. Most people don't mind donating to freeware products if they are worth it. I know I sure don't. ;)

Just an opinion - take it or leave it. ;)

I know it takes time and effort but I've seen other requests in this exact same forum and people sometimes do some logos and stuff like that for free, that's why I posted in here in the first place. And I'm not yet into the donations thing and I don't really think it will be a product that people want to invest in, either way, I don't intend at all to make it a comercial product. Sure it's usefull, at least for me, that's why I'm doing cause I couldn't find out there any application that could do thist... but that doesn't mean that will be sucessfull and lots of people will download and use it... either way, I'm just not thinking about those things right now...

I will not offer any money to get the job done, if people don't want to help, don't have time for it or just want money to do things. Fine by me, it's their time, their creativity, their effort and their lives, they can do whatever they want, I just won't pay anything. I rather do it myself, and come up with something than to pay for it. The scope of this application and the time and effort I want to put myself into it, doesn't deserve me to pay anything to anyone to design me something for it. I can do it myself, it won't be as good as it would be if it was to be done by someone else with better experience than me with icons, but it wouldn't be that bad...

Honestly, I'm doing this for me, cause I need something like this, but I'm just making it in a way that people can also find use for it. I could have finished this a while ago, but it would not be useful at all to anyone else, yet, I'm coding it in a way that everyone can use it and I just want to share it with everyone else. But I really don't think, much people will find use for it or/and will want to donate... that's just what I think,I could be wrong though...

I appreciate, everyone's opinion on this, but the bottom line is, I won't pay, I rather find myself a bit of time and do it. If anyone one want's to help out, fine, if not, too bad for me, but that's life and I understand if no one wants to help due to the "conditions of work". :)

I like it but here's what I would like to see different:

- The globe colors, the green and blue (specially the green), look a bit too much desatured.

- A little more distinction between the land/sea but not too much

- I don't really like the arrows colors, maybe a different blue or a different color?

P.S: One thing I forgot to tell. I don't know if I'll have more icon proposals but whoever icon's I decide to include in the app, your name will be on the readme and on the site and you will have all the credits for the design.

here's my attempt :whistle:

hope you like it

post-125941-1151347188.png

EDIT: btw, i just noticed it looks a lot like your avatar :pinch: didn't even look at it until now :p

and we now have a contest up running =D lolol...

it looks like my avatar? not at all... at least I don't think it does. I liked it... but the little dots could be a little bigger/brighter... I mean, let's see this icon in 32x32, you'll barely notice those dots and in 16x16 (the icon goes to the notifyicon) you won't seem them at all... I don't you really to see them as we both see it in this size, but just in a way you can see something's there, if you know what I mean. and maybe the lines a little bit more bold.

And maybe, you could come up with something else, besides that triangle (I like it, but other possibilites I may like it more), and could you please post in one or 2 different colors? I would like to see a green one if possible.

I'll have something in a while, I don't care about payment so much, if there is pay all the better for me. I just like to help people. (And I'm glad God has given me gifts to help me help.)

ok working on a modified version :p

i'm trying to add a 32x32 and a 16x16 version too

Edit: ok here it is

Blue

post-125941-1151350352.png

Green

post-125941-1151350466.png

Edited by NielsJanssen

If you like Tango / think it'd fit in with the XP/Vista look (which it actually does somewhat, that's its job :) ), I could whip something up. I'd be glad to contribute an icon, as this is actually something I might want / could use (especially if it'll toggle Windows Firewall and the file sharing service on and off as well).

Edit: Inspiration was quick, my idea at 48x48:

Edited by vertigosity

I like it, vertigosity... heck, I like'em all... what you are creating here is a hard choice for me lol...

@NielsJanssen

Forget the green version, sorry about the trouble... it just doesn't seem to fit... I though it would look better, but I definately like the blue one.

that's what I was thinking... didn't you missed the correct topic? :p just kiding, it looks neat, but it resembles usb too much...

@MrEggsalad

it just looks only like electricity plugs and light switches... I want something more related to network...

that's what I was thinking... didn't you missed the correct topic? :p just kiding, it looks neat, but it resembles usb too much...

@MrEggsalad

it just looks only like electricity plugs and light switches... I want something more related to network...

Well I saw some others had the plug cables liek a network cable and light switches, hense "Networks Switcher" but if you dislike that's cool. Maybe I'll think of something else.

nice P1Guy, but a bit complex to dislay at 16x16 and 32x32... try losing the circles and making the 'connector' fill most of the red part.

Am I too late?? :cry:

Here is my idea, I'm sorry for the horrible drawing skills, but me or someoneelse could improve the technics.

Hope you like it..

post-127663-1151417338.jpg

post-127663-1151417353.jpg

post-127663-1151417366.jpg

post-127663-1151417381.jpg

post-127663-1151417410.jpg

post-127663-1151417427.jpg

Allright, I improved it a bit and here's the result:

It doesn't resemble any jellyfish now hopefully:)

post-127663-1151427601.jpg

I hope this is giving the message I originally thought, because as I told, my Photoshop skills are minimal at best.

It is supposed to be a mechanical interface, if your program was a machine.

Just turn the semi-globe to align your location with the plug and appropiate settings are applied.