Adblocking In Internet Explorer 6/7

I'm looking for a solution similar to FireFox's Adblock, something that will integrate in the browser, not a program that has to run in the background when i'm browsing the web?

Does such a solution exist?

John :)

A bit outdated but here ya go:

\-->Ad/Popup Blocking<--/

Any 3rd party program with the ability to remove ads and popups is in this section. Still looking for a good free one.

<snip>

Edited by John S.

Am using "hosts" file as well - no running programs, no extension, no nothing, just a simple text file. More info at <snip>

Edited by John S.

• 2 weeks later...

I think <snip> is good in blocking all types of ads.

I dont have google adsense ads,no ads on my gmail page etc.

Edited by John S.

Although you said no background app, AdMuncher is the best. 8.5 mb of ram, no config needed and "unads" all of your apps. Works fine with ie7 beta3.

<snip> works very well. I was using the hosts file, but there's a bug in IE7 beta 3 that makes each blocked ad show up in the <-Back button history. So if you click on a page with 3 ads you have to hit <-Back 4 times to go back one page, or use the dropdown list. But normally the hosts file thing works perfectly and uses no precious "System Resources" as most ninnies on this site are afraid to give up for some odd reason.

Edited by John S.

I advise against HOSTS files. If it becomes too large then it could crash your computer.

I recommend <snip> It's pretty good.

Edited by John S.

<snip> is the best (IMO of course). Admuncher is also very good, kinda like <snip> with a very good filter set.

Edited by John S.

Never had a problem with host files, dont see any crashing and yes they are long..but they work, why download extra resource software when host files work good, sometimes even better, I see no need for extra crap running in the system tray..

Hmm maybe it's not an issue with XP anymore

When I loaded it up HOSTS files in 2000 Pro services.exe would use 100% and cripple the computer

<snip> should be available at oldversion.com and it is a BHO

Edited by John S.

• 4 weeks later...

<snip> is the best (IMO of course). Admuncher is also very good, kinda like <snip> with a very good filter set.

My only problem with the hosts file is the blocks left over from the removed ads. It just looks horrible.

Something like <snip> removes the blocks like <snip> does for FireFox.

If you can find the beta of <snip>, it still does work for free but can be buggy at times.

<snip>

Edited by John S.