Software to show where my disk space is being used

Question

Hello,

I really don't know what to put in google to find any software like this. My hard drive is virtually full, and I don't know where all the space is going, so is there any program which can show me where the most space is being used. Sort of listing the directories which use the most space in order or something like that.

Thanks.

18 answers to this question

I install this on any machine I will be using.. It shoud be PART of the OS..

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

Folder Size for Windows adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of files, but also the size of folders. It keeps track of which folders you view, and scans them in the background so you can see complete size of all files within the folder. It's very useful for cleaning up your disk. Once you get used to having that information available, a directory listing simply looks incomplete without it!

It adds a folder size column you can add to any explorer view.. See this example from their website.. I highlighted the column

post-14624-1152819169.gif

TreeSize Free V1.78

Every hard disk is too small if you just wait long enough. TreeSize Free tells you where precious space has gone to. TreeSize Free can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its subfolders. You can expand this folder in Explorer-like style and you will see the size of every subfolder. Scanning is done in a thread, so you can already see results while TreeSize Free is working. The space, which is wasted by the file system can be displayed and the results can be printed in a report. TreeSize Free is freeware for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/TreeSizeSetup.exe

TreeSize Free V1.78

Every hard disk is too small if you just wait long enough. TreeSize Free tells you where precious space has gone to. TreeSize Free can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its subfolders. You can expand this folder in Explorer-like style and you will see the size of every subfolder. Scanning is done in a thread, so you can already see results while TreeSize Free is working. The space, which is wasted by the file system can be displayed and the results can be printed in a report. TreeSize Free is freeware for Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/TreeSizeSetup.exe

Treesize is great.

MaxPC recommends WinDirStat. I installed it a couple of months ago, and was a little stunned...I'm still so used to using Explorer, I forget I installed it, and then I remember to use WinDirStat and all is better in my little world...

I install this on any machine I will be using.. It shoud be PART of the OS..

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

Folder Size for Windows adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of files, but also the size of folders. It keeps track of which folders you view, and scans them in the background so you can see complete size of all files within the folder. It's very useful for cleaning up your disk. Once you get used to having that information available, a directory listing simply looks incomplete without it!

It adds a folder size column you can add to any explorer view.. See this example from their website.. I highlighted the column

post-14624-1152819169.gif

Nice app.

installed.

Cheers

@Budman, last I recall those types of programs were very resource heavy. How much does this one use?

nothing really ;)

post-14624-1152891581.png

Sure when you open up a detailed view of some folder, it has to do some calc.. but here is after it calc'd the root of my c:

post-14624-1152891658.png

heres the thing its FREE.. if you install it and you think its too heavy.. then uninstall it ;) Or turn the service off, and only turn on when you looking for what is using up your space, etc..

But once you get use to having that info available - its worth a few extra cpu cycles ;)

BudMan...cheers for that app dude! It gets kinda annoying sometimes when you look in Add/Remove programs and see a game that's only taking up (eg) 200mb, when it's blatantly 4+ Gb.