Microsoft to introduce "Panorama"

Microsoft to Introduce "Panorama;" Live Aracde for Vista?

Chris Remo

Shacknews has learned from reputable sources who wish to remain nameless that Microsoft plans to introduce what seems to be a Windows gaming service called "Panorama." Apparently, Panorama will be a part of Windows Vista and will act essentially as Xbox Live Arcade for Windows. PC gamers will be able to not only play Live Arcade games, but will also be able to engage in multiplayer gaming versus gamers playing on the Xbox 360 version of the service. It does not appear that Panorama emulates the Xbox 360 environment, which suggests that developers creating cross-platform compatible Live Arcade games may have to release two versions, one for each platform. However, Microsoft tools such as XNA should expedite this process.

Xbox Live Arcade on Xbox 360 has proven to be a wildly successful enterprise, both for Microsoft and for the third party publishers and developers releasing Live Arcade games. It is home to both original titles such as Bizarre Creations' 2D shooter Geometry Wars and classic arcade games such as Capcom's Street Fighter II' Hyper Fighting.

When contacted for comment, Microsoft acknowledged the existence of Panorama but would not confirm or elaborate on any particular features. It is possible that the company plans to announce the project during its Microsoft Gamefest conference in Seattle next week. Shacknews will be covering the event.

Source

Very interesting.

Would make sense considering they've pushed using .NET to write those kinds of games (thus making them easily cross-platform).

All I want to play on my PC is Geometry Wars. Now.

Oooh, bad ass :D

I hope this will eventually cover regular XBOX 360 games, too.

The PC version of Live Anywhere will allow cross platform gaming between a PC and Xbox 360. There are several games in development even now that will take advantage of this. The first being http://shadowrun.com/

:)

Umm... is this very far removed from all the cross platform live stuff they were touting at E3 where in vista PC gamers could hop into live games and play against 360 gamers... and even play arcade on mobile phones? Am I missing something?

Edited by CDog

Umm... is this very far removed from all the cross platform live stuff they were touting at E3 where in vista PC gamers could hop into live games and play against 360 gamers... and even play arcade on mobile phones? Am I missing something?

No.

Live Anywhere is still being developed. This is just a logical extension of that service, so PC users can have access to the incredibly popular Arcade stuff. Don't worry, Live is still being made for the PC and we will eventually have multiplayer gaming against our console friends.

Is Geometry Wars coming to PC or no? Any word at all?

I deleted one of your "extra" posts :p

And I don't know if it is or not. I simply mentioned that because as a PC user, that is the ONE game I'd really want to see on the PC. It just looks like an absolute blast to play. The PC versions that were made are all good and all (and indeed some are VERY good knock offs) but it just isn't the same.

Trust me, if I hear ANYTHING about Geometry Wars for the PC, it's going up as news as soon as I get it.

Geometry Wars has been on PC for a long time now.... look it up

Why don't you help us by linking us to it then?

Because I've never seen Geometry Wars on the PC other than clone versions such as Grid Wars, and as good as that was it just isn't the same thing. Plus, MS has been putting the IP hammer down on clones, and Grid Wars was taken down recently.

No.

Live Anywhere is still being developed. This is just a logical extension of that service, so PC users can have access to the incredibly popular Arcade stuff. Don't worry, Live is still being made for the PC and we will eventually have multiplayer gaming against our console friends.

Good. :)