Pre-fetch Files

k Just a few Questions about prefetch files,

1. What are they. What do they do.

2. Can i remove them? How? should I?

3. Can I get them back.

4. What would removeing them do 4 me?

thanks guys.

Neowin is l33t

"Windows XP monitors the files that are used when the computer starts and when you start applications. By monitoring these files, Windows XP can prefetch them. Prefetching data is the process whereby data that is expected to be requested is read ahead into the cache. Prefetching boot files and applications decreases the time needed to start Windows XP and start applications" -microsoft

1. Files that hold information on frequently accessed applications.

2. Yes. Just go to the Windows/Prefetch folder and delete away. However, they will reappear again once you start loading applications again. I advise that you only delete the prefetch files related to applications you don't use often or at all anymore.

3. Well, sort of. They will re-appear when you load the application again.

4. Some say it can speed up boot time for Windows since it does not have to gather all the prefetch information for applications. Although, it can speed up when loading applications...

I wouldn't really bother... there's not much of a difference.

thanks, i will give it a shot, just for the heck of it, my system seems 2 boot up pretty quick, till it gets to XP boot screen with the slider then, it blinks like 3-4 times and starts.

The blinking I have determined 2 be my video card searching for digital displays..........only thing i can think off.