What not to do when installing Windows Vista

Windows Vista intensive installation

Being a technical beta tester for Windows Vista Pre-RC1 has it's up's and downs, although it can be very frustrating when you decide to test an operating system which is going to be the biggest change since Windows 2000 Professional, and the biggest upgrade for developers and software vendors ever. (well might not be ever; but it's pretty big)

I decided to put Windows Vista to the test and first of all run the upgrade through Windows XP Professional, and there was no surprise at the end of the installation it failed. Which was not disappointing at all because I had a strong feeling it would fail, considering it took an astonishing three hours to install.

I decided to run the upgrade for one reason, there are going to be people who will want to keep their existing files and programs because they do not have the facilities to backup their existing data and programs. Upgrading over Windows XP Home or Professional Edition is something I would not recommend anyway because it can cause instability and the OS can become unstable.

I then installed a fresh installation on the same partition as Windows XP, which again people are going to go ahead and perform this type of installation. Again this took a staggering 3hrs and 20mins to install the operating system.

What NOT to do when installing Windows Vista.

1. Do not upgrade over Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2 must be installed to perform upgrade).

2. Do not install on the same partition as Windows XP Home or Professional (SP2 must be installed).

3. Do not at any time turn off or disrupt the installation.

4. Do not assume that all your software is compatible with Windows Vista because software developers and vendors are working with Microsoft to make your software compatible. (well not all of them but the important ones are).

What YOU should do when installing Windows Vista.

1. Create a separate partition of around 12GB is enough, using Partition Magic and then call it VistaBeta (or whatever you want to call it). Windows Vista needs around 8.5Gb of HDD space to install.

2. Run the installation via Windows XP Home or Professional, when you have the option of which partition you want to install Windows Vista on, make sure you select the new partition you created in step one.

The installation should take approximately 45mins to install (this might be different on older machines). Below is a time list of my installation after my tests.

Installation:

Copying windows files 16:10sec

Expanding files 14:23sec

Installing features 5sec

Installing updates 2sec

Completing installation 37:33sec

To Desktop and finalizing installation 4:40sec

Loading to desktop for the fist time 6:36sec

Total time for installation: 48:09sec (which is a lot slower than Windows XP Professional, considering what is under the "hood" and what the capabilities are with Windows Vista. I can understand the size of the installation)

Rebooted machine and loading to desktop 2:36sec (OK... not bad)

Edited by Cornflake Addict

Actually if you're a tester, upgrading 2000/XPSP2 is encouraged. It's going to be the route regular Joe Schmoe will most likely use. I upgraded XP no prob, it's not too bad except it takes forever and a day to complete. Just thought I'd point that out ;).

Actually if you're a tester, upgrading 2000/XPSP2 is encouraged. It's going to be the route regular Joe Schmoe will most likely use. I upgraded XP no prob, it's not too bad except it takes forever and a day to complete. Just thought I'd point that out ;).

With 19 years experience behind me, I would never encourage anybody to upgrade an operating system ever. You are better off installing a freash installation on a new partition. Stability comes first.

I agree with what you're saying, and yes Joe Public will probably use the upgrade instead of a clean installation. but, what the point I have put to Microsoft... Is the length of time it takes to upgrade people are going to think their system has crashed or there is something not right with the upgrade and turn of their computers whilst installing the upgrade.

The upgrade installation should be made better or novice people are just either not going to bother upgrading or will complain they can not install it.

Upgrade Installtion:

Copying windows files 1hr:50min

Expanding files 1hr:23sec

Installing featurs 5sec

Installing updates 2sec

Completing installation 2hrs:10sec

To Desktop and finalizing installation 9:14sec

Loading to desktop for the fist time 8:01sec

Total time for installation: 5hrs:7:15sec (which is basically not exceptable, in my view.)

A clean installtion takes 45min to install and you're done.

it took you 48:09sec to install vista?

i am wondering if this is right or do you mean 48mins? i havent installed vista, probably cos my laptop is so slow! how do you install it so quick, what comp do you have?

and over 5hrs for an upgrade! that's just crazy!

(ps. it is spelt "acceptable")

The upgrade process has been notoriously slow... they're working on it; much better than the few hours it used to be :pinch:.

Could you list your specs please?

edit: Because I would really like to know why its slow for you.

it took you 48:09sec to install vista?

i am wondering if this is right or do you mean 48mins? i havent installed vista, probably cos my laptop is so slow! how do you install it so quick, what comp do you have?

and over 5hrs for an upgrade! that's just crazy!

(ps. it is spelt "acceptable")

48: is taken from my stopwatch which basically means minutes. 48 minues for the installation.

Could you list your specs please?

edit: Because I would really like to know why its slow for you.

I'm using a laptop as a testbed with the following spec, I have had feedback from MS with regards to the failed installation, so there is an initial problem somewhere.

- Intel? Pentium? 4 processor 3.0 GHz with HT Technology

- Microsoft? Windows? XP Home Edition

- 512 MB DDR RAM (upgraded to 1GB DDR RAM)

- 60GB Hard Disk Drive

- DVD-R/RW

- 15.4'' Wide View super fine TFT colour display

By 1:96sec do you mean 2:36?

Yeah I did, it was a long hard day thanks for pointing that out.

I'm surprised that you found the installation so slow but obviously there is a bug somewhere...

I put Vista pre-RC1 on my Mac Mini 1.66GHz Core Duo and it blasted on in about 30 mins from me first inserting the CD to being on a finished desktop...

I'm surprised that you found the installation so slow but obviously there is a bug somewhere...

I put Vista pre-RC1 on my Mac Mini 1.66GHz Core Duo and it blasted on in about 30 mins from me first inserting the CD to being on a finished desktop...

Yeah there is a bug I sent the setupact.log file to them and there is an issue somewhere when upgrading.

I upgraded 5472 to 5536. Never again, it took an hour and a half to complete and I immediately saw that it wasn't half as stable as everybody else was saying.

I have RC1 now and I'll be doing a clean install.

Btw, I had previously only clean installed. I wanted to test the upgrade in the previous case.

I upgraded 5472 to 5536. Never again, it took an hour and a half to complete and I immediately saw that it wasn't half as stable as everybody else was saying.

I have RC1 now and I'll be doing a clean install.

Btw, I had previously only clean installed. I wanted to test the upgrade in the previous case.

OMG it was dreadful running the upgrade I thought it would never end. I just run the installation on my main PC with a clean installation and it flew through the installation like a rocket in 38mins and when I got to the desktop and installed my ATI drivers for Vista. My jaw dropped to the floor and my eyes popped out.

Running Vista on a powerful machine is a must... you can not get the just of the power until you run Vista on a machine which can handle the power under the hood of Windows Vista.

:yes: Anybody who has a beast of a machine knows what I am talking about. The way the winodws open, the stile of the theme.

OMG awesome. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Wow I must be luckly then because it only took me 23-26 minutes to install from a FRESH install? :huh: :huh:

same here. 20 - 25 min full install. maybe hes still using the same pc he has been using his years of testing.

I always do and always will do fresh installs.

Latest 5536 took me about 30-40 mins from pressing any key to boot the CD to booting into the desktop. The first version of vista I ever tried, 5203 or something took about 2 hours to install and always took 3 mins or so to shutdown, this Pre RC1 takes only a few seconds.

Now I can use it a potentially fullspeed, vista is alot more appealing.

Now just for NVIDIA to get some updated drivers for it and I will be laughing.

Wow I must be luckly then because it only took me 23-26 minutes to install from a FRESH install? :huh: :huh:

Great,what is your system configuration.