Firefox 2.0 RC1 Preview - Today by 3pm PDT

Today, the Mozilla organization is preparing to release the first release candidate for version 2 of their popular Firefox web browser. Firefox 2 RC1 is available in binary form for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X (the latter a Universal Binary for both PPC and Intel systems). The Windows download comes in at 5.7 MB and runs on Windows 98, ME, NT 4, 2000, or XP (recommended). It ran without issue on my copy of Windows Vista RC1.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060926-7828.html

Thanks for your interest in the Firefox 2 Release Candidate preview release.

Sadly, we're not quite ready to hand it out yet. Links to official builds will be posted by 3PM PDT, September 26th. See you then!

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html

There also appears to be a file marked as RC1 on the Mozilla FTP Releases folder - ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/fir...rc1/win32/en-US

Edited by KSean

Just under four hours then, nice one.

For those that are curious...

• The first alpha version (2.0a1) was released on March 21, 2006,
  • The second alpha version (2.0a2) was released on May 12, 2006
  • The third alpha version (2.0a3) was released on May 27, 2006.
  • The first beta version (2.0b1) was released on July 12, 2006.
  • The second beta (2.0b2) shipped on August 31, 2006.
  • The first release candidate is scheduled to be released on September 26, 2006, and may become the final release if there are no new bugs found.

There's no way I'm installing before the final release unless they patch all of my extensions.

I'll try it. The last time I switched back because of not many extensions were competible.

I can confirm Adblock Plus, CuteMenus - Crystal SVG, IE Tab and NoScript work fine in B2 and RC1 (in most cases, extension developers release updated versions of their extensions that are checked for when Firefox is opened).

I don't like this "X" on every tab now. While it will keep me from accidentally close a tab, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as 1.x's appearance.

lol @ spell checker

You can change it back in about:config somewhere, someone else will have to help you further. Mozilla should integrate the option in Options really.

Here's a screenshot:

<image snipped>

I tried to attach one, but Neowin's servers are knackered at the moment and it wasn't showing up :/

Here's a screenshot:

firefoxrc2ia5.png

Why oh why do they put the refresh, stop etc. buttons to the right of the address bar? That is what frustrated me about IE 7 :angry:

Other than that, I like the new UI alot, particularly the refresh button looks nice (save for the location of it).

I don't like this "X" on every tab now. While it will keep me from accidentally close a tab, it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as 1.x's appearance.

lol @ spell checker

I was also very fade up with the CLOSE button on each tab, but I did a little search and found the option in about:config :)

1.) Just type about:config in address bar of firefox.

2.) Type browser.tabs.closeButtons in the Filter box.

3.) Change its value to

Now the Close button will be gone from each tab :p

Why oh why do they put the refresh, stop etc. buttons to the right of the address bar? That is what frustrated me about IE 7 :angry:

Other than that, I like the new UI alot, particularly the refresh button looks nice (save for the location of it).

Doesn't have to be. Mine are to the left of the address bar. That is something that the user can customize.